Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2006, 17:53   #46

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
Weylan

Welcome to bring a older boat back to reality. I too can really relate to those unexpected surprises. Sounds like you're well on the way and having 'fun' with the project. Good Luck
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 14:42   #47

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Well, just the latest update: Boat is coming out of the water tomorrow...I'll let y'all know how that goes; maybe even post a photo or two. It will probably stay out for a while; it is winter here anyway, plus I want to do some glassing work on the hull, including removing and re-glassing some of the through hulls, replacing some of the through hull fitings, and possibly even some additional glassing on one of the structural beams...watch this space
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2006, 20:47   #48

So, here,as prmised are a couple of photos of work in progress....

So far I have managed to take this:

and convert it into this:

Old 17-07-2006, 01:17   #49

Boat: Privilege 37
Personally I reckon you have made a considerable improvement already
Old 21-08-2006, 14:44   #50

Just a quick update on slow progress (probably nobody cares, but I will post just to spite you all )

Two weekends ago saw the end of the grinding and hand sanding. I don't mind telling you I was pretty happy to see the back of that particular job. So last weekend was fibreglass time...not the most pleasant job in the world, but a stroll in the park in comparison to grinding/sanding.

The glassing went really well. We used vinylester resin and farly light chopped-strand mat. Most of the exposed hull got a layer of mat, with 2, 3 or even 4 layers where it was needed. The resin "went off" nicely, and was pretty good to work with. we knocked off after 8 hours Saturday and 9 hours Sunday because we had run out of glass

It all looks pretty good (I will post a photo here soon). Just need to plug some 2" holes (where I have removed instrument thru-hulls, then some fairing & coving and the glassing will be about done.
Old 21-08-2006, 14:56   #51

Boat: Sceptre 41
Weylan:

Good on ya Mate. Picked a tough row to hoe but you'll have a little speed demon of a cruiser. Used to sail the IOR one tonners (mostly Farrs) and just loved the way they handled. Great lift on the keel and rudder. Hope your plan works out well.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 15:12   #52

Well, remember this:

Yes - the bare hull, after removing the tanks, bunk fronts and floor

Well, with a bit of elbow grease, lots of grinding and sanding, it looked like this:

Still ugly, but at least clean and ugly. This is just prior to starting to lay new glass. Lots of new glass - just chopped strand and vinylester resin, but at least 1 layer everywhere, and up to 7 layers in some places...

Well, having just finished flow coating, it now looks like this...

I hope y'all can appreciate the difference!

I am feeling very happy, knowing that the job has been done properly. In fact, none of this will be visible once the new floor and panels are in place, but I will know....
Old 03-09-2006, 15:23   #53

Boat: 1982 Dubois 42ft Alloy ex 2 Tonner
Nice - very nice!

Well done. Satisfaction levels are at an all time high no-doubt!
Seaquesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 16:05   #54

Thanks Tony,

Yeah... satisfaction levels are very high. I am already looking forward to next weekend, when I can start looking at rebuilding the sofa-bunk fronts and building the supports for the tanks... some people seem to find this type of work a chore, but honestly I am really really enjoying it.

How are you going with Seaquesta/Lipstick?

Patrick
Old 04-09-2006, 02:35   #55

Boat: Island Yachts Peterson 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan
This is just prior to starting to lay new glass. Lots of new glass - just chopped strand and vinylester resin, but at least 1 layer everywhere, and up to 7 layers in some places...
Why the new glass?
Catamount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 14:24   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount
Why the new glass?
Well, why not really?

There were a couple of places on the transverse beams that were slightly damaged, so we wanted to put extra glass in those areas. I also removed 4 thru-hull fittings that had housed instruments that were no longer required, so those had to be glassed. But, basically, getting the area down to clean bare hull provided an opportunity to put some glass in, and once the floor and tanks and bunk fronts are back in, there will not be another opportunity again.

Given that the boat was designed primarily as a racer, but I plan to use it more as a cruiser, the small amount of extra weight associated with the additonal glassing did not seem to be of any significance, and hopefully the boat is now a little bit stronger. If nothing else, the new glass will protect the old glass.
Old 04-09-2006, 15:08   #57

Hey Patrick

Things on my girl are going slowly but we're getting there. Currently gutting EVERYTHING out of the interior so that I can sandblast all the old paint off and get the fabricator to start extending the cabin back. I can only work on her in the weekends when the weather is fine so its been a bit slow - we've had a crap winter! Still, its warming up now and daylight savings will kick in shortly so things should pick up. Im looking forward to getting stuck in.

So you'll be starting on the joinery - that'll be fun. A boat joiner popped his head in on my boat a few weeks back, he said the trick to new boat cabinetry is lotsa thick cardboard to make templates with.

Take care and have fun

Tony
Old 04-09-2006, 16:36   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaquesta1
I can only work on her in the weekends when the weather is fine so its been a bit slow - we've had a crap winter! Still, its warming up now and daylight savings will kick in shortly so things should pick up. Im looking forward to getting stuck in.
I hear you. I work 7:15am to 5pm Monday to Friday, so it is strictly weekend work for me too, at least until daylight saving.

I was thinking about using 3mm craftwood to make templates for the joinery. Obviously cardboard will be cheaper, but not as stiff. I plan on using teak & ash veneer plywood (12mm) for the new floor, and at $AUD 400 per sheet (8' x 4') I really don't want to f*#k it up!

Glad to hear your refit is going well, even if slowly.
Old 04-09-2006, 20:46   #59

"I plan on using teak & ash veneer plywood (12mm) for the new floor, and at $AUD 400 per sheet (8' x 4') I really don't want to f*#k it up!"

Jeepers!! It should almost install itself at the price wouldnt it!

It will look fantastic though
Old 04-09-2006, 21:12   #60

Boat: Sceptre 41
Weylan:

Great Job. Looks really nice. Obvious pride in your workmanship. Thanks for keeping us updated. What kind of tanks are you going to put in? Glass or metal? I remember you saying that the tanks had developed a leak.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Racer Cruiser