Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2009, 14:41   #166

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
It has been a while since my last bulletin. We have not been slacking off, I promise!

Currently we are just at the end of a fairly major recoat job below the waterline. We decided to undertake this job not because we needed to, but because we didn't know wheter we needed to. We have had the boat for nearly 4 years, and had never seen underneath the (multiple coats of) anti-foul.

So we scraped back the anti-foul and the various layers of paint underneath (it sounds so easy when you write it a asimple sentence, but, as those of you who have done it, it is a mafor undertaking in itself, and not for those short of shoulders or willpower). In fact the base material of the hull was in great shape - no osmosis or evidnce of de-lam at all.

We did find some problems with water in the rudder blade and also an area on the keel where the fibreglass under the fairing had delaminated off the (solid lead) keel. we fixed both of these problems... again, it sounds easy, but involved plenty of work. For the rdder, we ground / chiselled back until we got to where the fibreglass and fairing was still well bonded to the lead, relaid fibreglass and filled (epoxy and microballons), sanded, refilled, sanded. For the rudder we removed it from the boat, stood it up and drilled a few holes in it to let water drain out over a week or 2. We were still not satisfied that this was getting all the water out, so in the suspect areas we ground the fibreglass back to the foam core, scraped out the core to dry foam, laid in some carbon fibre (offcuts from the bench-top project), filled and faired.

We then painted it all back up: 4 coats of primer (Wattyl PR250), 3 coats of high build primer (Wattyl DTM900),Tie coat (Wattyl TC170) and we are just putting on the anti-foul (Wattyl CU120). For the anti-foul, we are putting the first coat on in red, and the subsequent coat(s) in black so that we can tell when we need to recoat when the red starts to appear. Overall, we are pretty happy with the results.

...more to follow
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 15:16   #167
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
I feel your pain .
Its good to see the back end of big jobs.
Tell me, were you undercover while doing this work or outside and is the Wattyl anti-foul typical for your area?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 16:13   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Tell me, were you undercover while doing this work or outside and is the Wattyl anti-foul typical for your area?
We worked on the rudder inside (in the kitchen / dining area of our house, heh heh heh), but all the hull painting was done outside. The weather has been bloody terrible for painting here, so the job took several weeks longer than anticipated because there were so many days where we just couldn't paint because of the weather (temperature or rain).

I can't really comment on whether Wattyl anti-foul is typical for this area... there are the usual range of products available: International; Jotun; Hempel; etc. We went with Wattyl because (a) they are cheaper than the alternatives (we have a friend "on the inside" at the local Wattyl Trade Centre, which helps with the price too), (b) we have been very happy with the Wattyl 2-pack epoxy paints that we have been using, and their local marine coatings guy has been most helpful... so having used the Wattyl 2-packs, we decided to go with the anti-foul as well (we have used International in the past)
Old 25-08-2009, 16:35   #169

Boat: 33ft sloop
I know the Van de Stadt designers quite well. Please let me know the particular model and I might give you additional info.
The only 40' onetonner they designed (as far as I know) was the AGARI, 12.00 mtrs x 4.00 mtrs x 2.00 mtrs or thereabouts.
The boat has been designed for wood or composite construction. We know of one boat that was second in the Sydney-Hobart. A few are built in Holland as well. Van de Stadt is a very reputable design office both for the private builder as well as the professional shipyard(s). The Agari is fast, but strong enough to take some beating.

The requested salesprice is a bit high in respect of the todays market. Of course it depends whatever is available. About the market situation I have no idea.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 16:49   #170

Boat: a sailing boat
You are not a fool at all. If you can afford the refit / outfit then you can use a Russian nuclear submarine (beware - difficult to obtain USCG approval;-). So why not a VdS IOR 40.

They are more difficult to sail than conceived cruisers though. Met a Brazilian couple who sailed a one toner to NZ - the boat was huge inside and they had great sail across the Pacific.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 16:56   #171
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
At least all your hard work isn't in some cold state in the middle of winter.

Oooops!!!!!

At least all the hard work is keeping you warm in the middle of winter in the coldest place in Oz!!!!!!

You will be very comfortable with all the hard work once its finished and you are at sea. In fact I bet you won't even remember the bad bits!

All the best

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 18:05   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG View Post
I know the Van de Stadt designers quite well. Please let me know the particular model and I might give you additional info.
The only 40' onetonner they designed (as far as I know) was the AGARI, 12.00 mtrs x 4.00 mtrs x 2.00 mtrs or thereabouts.
The boat has been designed for wood or composite construction. We know of one boat that was second in the Sydney-Hobart. A few are built in Holland as well. Van de Stadt is a very reputable design office both for the private builder as well as the professional shipyard(s). The Agari is fast, but strong enough to take some beating.
The model was, from memory called a "MAC 1", drawn in about 1981 or thereabouts. I think it may have been Van de Stadt design number 346, but again, that is from memory. (I do have all this stuff, on a USB memory stick, but I don't have it with me).

Insatiable, as far as I have been able to ascertain,came out of the same mold as Dry White which was a pretty quick 1-tonner at the time, particularly downwind, but wasn't quite quick enough (upwind) to secure a spot in the Admirals Cup team. They were, I believe, built by an outfit called Mander Marine, but I haven't been able to find out any more about that. The other local boat that may have been built to the same design is called Warlord, and I have seen it around and about... the last time was coming through the inside of the Acteon Islands en-route to Recherche... but I digress

I would be very interested in any all information about the design. I will send you a PM... thanks
Old 25-08-2009, 18:20   #173
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
We have not been slacking off, I promise!
When you haul them out on land they grow. Looks like a semi truck trailer on jack stands and you need a big ladder to get on deck. While we are only 36 ft we are also don't count eh 6 ft bowsprit or the 4 ft davits. The first haul out is serious work. We had bad barnacles and I hired a helper and we worked two days. I hurt for 3 weeks after. Hauling a boat is very bad. I'm looking forward to the 2 years anniversary when I do it again in November. You need extra drugs when hauling out. So far the bottom paint is holding.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 05:55   #174
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
.......The weather has been bloody terrible for painting here, so the job took several weeks longer than anticipated because there were so many days where we just couldn't paint because of the weather (temperature or rain)......
Ouch - I was curious because I had been taking note of daily Hobart forecasts over winter and couldn't imagine doing all that painting outside
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 06:35   #175

Sorry, I didnot realise indeed that this was an old discussion.

The only 40 ft onetonner that landed in Oz was "Trumpcar" and as I remember 2nd in the S-H (don't know which year).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trumpcar.jpg (129.4 KB, 116 views)
Old 26-08-2009, 15:43   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG View Post
Sorry, I didnot realise indeed that this was an old discussion.

The only 40 ft onetonner that landed in Oz was "Trumpcar" and as I remember 2nd in the S-H (don't know which year).
That boat is fairly well known in these waters, but I think it was called Trump Card. It was owned by Huey Lewis (of Lewis Marine) and sailed out of Bellerive Yacht Club for many many years... a beautiful boat, for sure (he subsequently sold it and bought a well credentialled racing boat called B52, which he also sold and bought a Farr 40 OD (now called EuroCentral), but once again, I'm rambling.

I checked last night: Insatiable is Van de Stadt design 346, from about 1980 or 81, known as a MAC1. They did draw a cruising orientated version called a Naudar 40 in about 1985. Dry White was definitely an example of the 1-tonner type version - it was owned, down here, by Dennis Leach for a while.

Anyway, I would be very interested in any info you can get on the 346 design...

Cheers
Old 26-08-2009, 15:51   #177

I also meant to say that since the last progress report, before we did the bottom job, here are a few of the things that have been done this year:

1. New pulpit, of my own design. Its a ripper (yeah, yeah, pictures... I know)
2. New life-lines (stainless)
3. Teak trims on the 3 new deck hatches
4. New checkstay blocks
5. New runner blocks
6. Replaced a staunchion, base and backing plate (they no longer make the ones we have, so different hole pattern, of course)
7. New mast base chocks at the tabernacle

In progress is some laid-teak work and also overhauling the primary manual bilge pump.
Old 26-08-2009, 15:51   #178

Boat: Portobello - a Walter Knoop designed "DOVEN 30"
Hi Weyalan - Warlord is on a swing mooring in Geilston Bay in case you didn't know. Cheers
Old 26-08-2009, 16:16   #179

I'll ask them to mail me the particulars of this design. The design number is very helpful to identify the correct design. I do not recall to have seen MAC in their catalogues. My best friend built many VdS during the timespan when he owned a shipyard.
I willlet you know shortly what I 've found.
Old 26-08-2009, 17:42   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portobello View Post
Hi Weyalan - Warlord is on a swing mooring in Geilston Bay in case you didn't know. Cheers
Yeah... I can almost see them from the front balcony of my house

Tags
Racer Cruiser