Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2013, 18:46   #1

Maine to Michigan via the Hudson

I am finishing the restoration of a 34" wood yawl in Maine and plan to sail it back to Michigan. I would like to communicate with someone who has done the trip from Maine to NYC.
Carina II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 05:19   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Maine to Michigan via the Hudson

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Carina II.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 05:29   #3

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I've done Maine to NYC and beyond many times. What do you need to know? Welcome aboard?
Old 21-03-2013, 05:35   #4

Boat: Kadey Krogen 42

What sort of info do you need about the coastal passage from Maine to NY. We have sailed most of the area although I have never ridden the current through NY. The trip from Maine to Michigan is a long trip and I must presume that you have thought about putting her on a truck. I can not help you with the Hudson, Erie Canal or Champlain part but I have sailed the Great Lakes. I am sure that there are some folks who have done the great circle trip and can give you info on the trip. Also check out the website Active Captain for wiki type info.
AnsleyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 06:21   #5

My concept is to do this trip in two stages. The first is from Maine to Troy, NY. Then come back two weeks later and finish the trip. I'd like to do the Maine - NYC as day trips and wondered about suggested ports to spend the evenings. I've found that there are fewer surprises based on the experiences of those before me. Just your thoughts on how you would do it would be appreciated.
Old 21-03-2013, 06:48   #6

Of course it depends on where in Maine you start. Isle of Shoals, Portsmouth, Newburyport, Gloucester/Cape Ann, Marblehead, Salem, Boston, Scituate, Plymouth--sure you can coastal hop down. I usually take a straight shot from Maine down to P-town on Cape Cod, or sometimes right to the CC Canal, then spend more time cruising around Buzzards Bay, Martha's Vineyard, and Narragansett Bay. You can start swimming more once south of the CC Canal, and I think the anchorages are better and the smaller towns appeal more to me. From there you can easily day hop all the way down LI Sound and up the Hudson River. You'll have to take your masts down before you get to Troy. A lot of people do that in Catskill, but I have done it at the self-service crane at the Castleton Boat Club. Not sure where you plan on leaving the boat in Troy. The city dock is just alongside the Hudson so is right in the middle of all the activity. You may want to check out the Lock 1 Marina just north of Troy, which is under new management and I think he is a sailor--sounds friendly, but I have no experience there.
Old 21-03-2013, 07:04   #7

I'm starting out from East Boothbay. The boat is being restored at Paul E. Luke where it was built in 1953. Thanks for the information because that makes life much easier as I move forward with this little adventure. Any thoughts on the East River going north on the Hudson? Any places along the Maine-NYC route that you remember with good thoughts? Thanks for your input.....very much appreciated.
Old 21-03-2013, 07:18   #8

Boat: Morgan 416

As you make your way thru the Erie Canal, you'll probably head north at the Oswego River and out onto Lake Ontario at the port of Oswego. If so you must stop at Fair Point Marina in Fair Haven NY. Great people, great services. Ask for Schyler.

Check out the Erie Canal website. There is a great navigation book of charts available. I'd not go without it.

The canal trip is loaded with small towns that cater to boating. Have a blast.
PapaBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 07:24   #9

My favorites along your route include Gloucester/Cape Ann, Boston Harbor (lots of little areas to anchor and explore), Provincetown. Then through the canal hit Onset, Woods Hole and/or Hadley Harbor, Tarpaulin Cove, Cuttyhunk, possibly New Bedford. Newport is fun and exiting, but very crowded and pricey--some room to anchor in a small area.

Going up the Hudson you can't go wrong at almost any harbor or stop, but the Hudson River Maritime Museum in Kingston is particularly interesting. Esopus Creek at Saugerties is lower key. Catskill is a good place to get the masts down. The Castleton Boat Club has its self-service crane (for a modest fee). The Albany Yacht Club is friendly. Dinosaur BBQ restaurant is right on the water in Troy, which is a neat old city getting rejuvenated. There is a nice little public park and waterfront marina just before the big lock at Waterford--you can walk to several restaurants nearby.
Old 31-03-2013, 13:31   #10

Boat: irwin 37 center cockpit

stay away from new bedford, while they are trying to dress it up, its taking time and it's still new bedford, cutty hunk and the vinyard are always a good time. newport is fun, and if done right, not expensive. there is a few free anchorages and you can get anything you want there. however, if you want something a little less crowded, a little more down home, go to jamestown, good anchorages, (free) good moorings and slips to if you want to pay for them. great restaurants and bars, good people too. after that you want to stop in block island and have some fun there. then montauck, and depending on how fast/hard you want to sail stopping in clinton ct (long island sound) is good, if you go ocean stop in chinicock, (there isn't to much there other than bars and restaurants without a car, but its about half way) not really much help for the hudson, but sounds like a fun trip.
fisherman.ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 18:53   #11

Boat: J40

I'll throw in a couple favorite stops on your route. As you approach NYC, Port Washington has lots of moorings and launch service at several clubs and a 40min commuter train ride into NYC with the boat safe at a club. And as I start up the Hudson, I often anchor right above the 79th street boat basin perhaps 100 yards off Manhattan. The Boat Basin jots out and gives you a safe quiet night watching the joggers in Manhattan. (but don't get off the boat.)
flopresti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 19:19   #12

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

I can advise you between Boston and NY:
First and foremost.... Don't let your schedule cloud your judgment. You don't have to be offshore to be hammered in a blow, and pay attention to currents -- you want to avoid wind-against current situations.

1) get cruising guides for the areas. (I like the Maptech Embassy Guides)
2) sign up for www.activecaptain.com (free, reviews by other cruisers)
3) Look at the charts and make your own judgments, based on forecast and protection. You can tell if the harbor is going to be protected in a blow from a certain direction.

Too many great places to list -- that's why they have cruising guides.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 19:29   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I can't help you much with the east coast.

What is your Michigan Desination? If it works for you I have heard nothing but great things about the Trent Severn waterway and it should be perfict for a boat of your size. Also, if you plan to transit the north of Lake Huron, do it by Georgian bay and the North Channel. We cruised North Channel for 3+ weeks last summer. Its a special place, ranked in the top ten cruising desinations on Earth.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Hudson, maine