Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2023, 02:38   #1

Boat: S&S Defiance 30 ft.
Main Sail Modification

My boat is an S&S 30 where the boom is at about ear level to myself when standing in the cockpit. So far I have managed to avoid serious injury. I am thinking of moving the clew up the leech by about one foot to make it safer. What do people think of the idea.
Old 06-06-2023, 02:43   #2

Boat: Between boats at the moment aka Fender
Re: Main Sail Modification

I like it.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 03:22   #3

Boat: Bristol 27

My boat was like that but I have a floating boom/goose neck so I just bought a sail with a shorter luff then tied a line to the mast as a boom stop about a foot higher up.

Leaving room also so I could tighten the downhaul.

The line and the downhaul block have both been replaced since the photoes were taked a few years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00282.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	409.8 KB
ID:	276370   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00287.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	409.2 KB
ID:	276371  

Name:	DSC00288.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	417.8 KB
ID:	276372   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00309.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	403.3 KB
ID:	276373  

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 03:36   #4
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikadoII View Post
My boat is an S&S 30 where the boom is at about ear level to myself when standing in the cockpit. So far I have managed to avoid serious injury. I am thinking of moving the clew up the leech by about one foot to make it safer. What do people think of the idea.
it was a bit of trend under IOR to get some extra non rated area. No problem to lift the clew, any sailmaker could do it, but just check the reefs are angled down at the back end as well?
To rectify that is a fair bit of work and maybe a new sail is in order
bullsails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 03:43   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Sparkman and Stephens were an incredible design team. Altering one of their designs borders on blasphemy.

Also, calculate the number of square feet of sail area you will lose, then divide that by existing total sq Ft of sail. That is roughly how much slower the boat will be.

In the end it is your boat… I would counsel against it.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 03:50   #6

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Sparkman and Stephens were an incredible design team. Altering one of their designs borders on blasphemy.

Also, calculate the number of square feet of sail area you will lose, then divide that by existing total sq Ft of sail. That is roughly how much slower the boat will be.

In the end it is your boat… I would counsel against it.
I removed about 2 feet from the luff of my mainsail to get the boom higher.

There was very little loss of boat speed, but any times we have pretty strong winds here so no problem.

Plus if you aren't racing a slight speed loss isn't a problem. It's usually all about the wind anyway

That was 2012.

My new main bought last month is about a foot longer that that 2012 mainsail but 6" shorter on the foot with 3 sets of reef points

Video is with old mainsail that was 2' shorter. Still had to reef it here

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B27.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	276374  
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 05:11   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1981 Sea Sprite 34 Sold, now living ashore. Bristol 27

On my Bristol 27 I cut two feet off the top of my mainsail, slid it down and restitched it to the sail. I tapered the sail from the top batten to the bottom of the cut off piece. I cut off excess leech line and covered it along the tapered cut with a folded section of four inch, dacron sail cloth matching the rest of the sail. I was able to reuse the existing headboard, lost very little sail area and raised the boom eighteen inches. The sail sets perfectly, I can now stand under the boom and am able to fit a bimini. I have an industrial sewing machine so this may not be possible on something lightweight.
canvasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 05:18   #8

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

On my 'big' boat, the provided, matching brand sail was so long in the luff that the boom drug on the cabin top at full hoist and with insufficient tension to sail. I had a sailmaker take out enough for it to clear. Makes me wonder how often the original was sailed (could have been rolled on the roller boom) or if the boat was paired with this sail but never sailed, as if it were from a one size bigger boat.
Old 06-06-2023, 06:10   #9
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23

One of the previous owners of my boat raised the boom. You can see the old rivet holes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20230606-090604_Gallery.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	302.4 KB
ID:	276375  
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 08:07   #10

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

On my 30 ft fractional rig when specing my new mainsail I had sail cut 3-4? degrees higher from tac to clue l to accommodate bimini. Could not detect performance between old and new sail. Since boat is fractional rig main is still a very powerful sail with 13' foot. I don't race and not a technical sailor, so maybe I don't know any better!
If you don't race and your concern is for safety/possible injury I would not hesitate.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 09:50   #11

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Yeah, that's called a flattening reef. I have a similar problem but my sail has a flattening reef already and sometimes I just keep it on that all the time to keep the boom up and my head a little safer. You may want to adjust the outhaul when off the wind to reduce the effect on sail shape. A helmet might be a good purchase too.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 14:00   #12

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We had an S & S Yankee 30. It had an adjustable topping lift. If yours does, too, you could try topping it up an inch or two so it would clear your head, and if the sail looks poor at that point, get it cut down the slightest amount.

Ann
Old 06-06-2023, 14:30   #13

Boat: Beneteau First 375

As Don C L said, the easiest thing to do (and undo, if you don't like it) is to put in a flattening reef. Bring the sail to a sailmaker and get him to put in a clew reef cringle a foot or so up the leech. Put the sail back on the boat and try it out using an existing reef line. If you like the way it works, rig a new permanent, dedicated reef line. I did this on my boat to get the boom to clear the bimini. Nothing to it.
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 16:05   #14

Boat: Beneteau 423

My main on a 42’ sloop hits the dodger when sheeting in. Problem was caused by the original owner specifying a dodger that was too tall. I talked to a sailmaker who said it was doable, but the cost to raise the clew and the reef points wasn’t worth it. I try not to look up and avoid close hauled as much as possible anyway.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 18:54   #15

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlev00 View Post
My main on a 42’ sloop hits the dodger when sheeting in. Problem was caused by the original owner specifying a dodger that was too tall. I talked to a sailmaker who said it was doable, but the cost to raise the clew and the reef points wasn’t worth it. I try not to look up and avoid close hauled as much as possible anyway.
To recut the mainsail and make a new clew is going to be more, of course. But just adding a flattening reef reinforcement and cringle is not so bad; you just have to be ok with an extra bit of sail tucked in or hanging off the end of the boom.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail