Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2010, 07:57   #1

Boat: wooden boat "Afterlow"
MacGregor 26M

Hello, as stated in the presentation page I write from the south of Italy and that is why I would like to hear your own opinion regarding this sailing vessel (you can say that?)
Italians in the forums this boat is seen as the devil in the church, in the sense that it is not considered a sailboat.
Personally I consider a very smart boat for short coastal trips, with a large interior space and many other good features ... what do you think?
Thank ello is to be with you
Bob.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:10   #2

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Hi. Yeah there are a lot of people that like to bash Macgregors. I don't think I could talk myself into buying the M. I have thought that if I were in the situation of a trailer sailor, drive a car to a cruising destination, drop the boat in and sail for a weekend I would look more carefully at the original 26 that at least looks like a sailboat.

John

Here are what some people have said before on this forum.
Used the custom google search on the toolbar above between new posts and quicklinks I got this result.

macgregor - Google Search
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:28   #3

Thank you so much!
Old 04-01-2010, 08:28   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
It's a real personal choice.

It's not the best 26 foot sailboat and it's not the best 26 foot speedboat.

There are several here and we always kick their tails when sailng. We have a PY handicap of 95 so the M26 has to be (wild guess) like 105+

If you want a versatile crossover boat that is fun to daysail, can pull a skier, can be a lot of fun and you can't decide between a power boat and a sailboat - go for it...

Just read some Mac sites to make sure it matches what you want from a boat.

Personally, for me, it is not a boat I would consider because there are too many better 26-27 foot sailboats and I don't need a power boat.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:41   #5

Ex-Calif OK, I do not doubt what you write, not even I understand the Mark, but I continue to be smart in the sense that a boat is fairly easy to dolly, tree easily fold down, fast motor, and a bit 'too Sailing much space I would call all around. However determined that none of us understands me very interested to know what an American thinks of this boat.
Thank you.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:02   #6

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Doesn't Hunter also market a copycat boat?
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:14   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
If you expect to trade up quickly, it might not be a bad deal. I observed two M26s side by side in my marina over the last few years. Both sold within a year or so of my arriving. One guy was never seen again and the other bought a Catalina, I believe. Maybe just coincidence, but I don't think either of them were terribly impressed with the boat's sailing qualities.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:25   #8

Boat: Schock 35
I have owned two Mac 26s, an X and an M. When traded in I got back most of what I paid for them since the demand for them from primarily new sailors is fairly high. They are great trailer sailors. At about 3500# they are easily pulled by modest vehicles. They sit low on the trailer allowing easy deployment into the water. They will sail in protected waters in 8-12 knots of wind at 4 or 5 knots. They will motor at 10-15 knots. Not the best sailors or best motorboats, but very versatile. Also have flotation so they will not sink, which gives some measure of assurance to those just starting out. I have seen these boats abused by newbies just learning and the boats take it without damage.

They are best for beginners in protected waters; those that have not made up their minds on whether they want to sail or motor, and those that must have a trailer sailor. After a few years on this boat many trade up (I did when I decided I wanted to race), but there are those that use these boats for more aggressive trips--big water and high winds and love them.
Tom Spohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 16:23   #9

Boat: Mac 26x
Hi Bobetto

I own and sail a MacGregor 26X,they are great starter boats and give you a feel for what type of boat that you want.If you have somewhere to keep your boat at home,you do not have to pay marina fees.

the boat is very flexible,last year i was caught by heavy weather,so i pulled into a harbour close by,after 4 days i needed to get home so i called my wife and she came down with the trailer and we took the boat home,other people had to sit out the storm and that can cost a lot of money.

I have had mine out in Force 7 on the North Sea on more than one occasion.

There are hundreds of people out there who are willing to knock at mac,the majority of them have never been in one.

Check out MacGregorSailors.com
bastonjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 16:26   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Doesn't Hunter also market a copycat boat?
Ya, Hunter 27 "Edge". The took the Mac apart and came up with their version. Prolly better sailing with a nice looking square top roachy main. Still not a sailboat or a motorboat, but both.
Kinda like a triathlete pretty ok at running, swimming and riding, but not real good at any one

If I were in that market I would check out both for sure.

Greg
Old 04-01-2010, 16:59   #11

Boat: Mac 26x
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8trn View Post
Ya, Hunter 27 "Edge". The took the Mac apart and came up with their version. Prolly better sailing with a nice looking square top roachy main. Still not a sailboat or a motorboat, but both.
Kinda like a triathlete pretty ok at running, swimming and riding, but not real good at any one

If I were in that market I would check out both for sure.

Greg
yup but its TWICE the price of a mac
bastonjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 19:11   #12

Looks like the loaded Hunter with 75 HP 4 stroke Evenrude and dual axel trailer will bring about $45K, the loaded trailerable Mac with 60 HP is selling around $38K. These are new, in stock, at the boat show prices ranges.

So... not looking like twice as much. Not sure but just the 75 vs. 60 hanging on the transom is worth some of the difference.

Greg
Old 04-01-2010, 21:51   #13

With friends of the response MacGregor from the same feelings let n Italy and America, this was what interested me know.
Good wind at all
Bob.
Old 12-04-2010, 21:32   #14

Boat: Le Zephyr, MacGregor 26M
My Mac sails as well as most other 26 foot sailboat with a kingsize bed and standing headroom.
and goes 20mph with its Honda 50.

[/IMG]
Québec 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 23:48   #15

Boat: Beneteau 393
I owned an 18ft trailer sailer. Sailed it camped out on it.

Thought about trading up to a Macgregor as I felt with the more comfy insides and the ability to tow my kids on boards, biscuits etc that they might still enjoy sailing with me as they got older.

So I went for a day sail on one with a mate. At first I was really impressed with the insides and fitout. Figgered my missus would be happier camping in this.

But when we sailed I was so disappointed. My 1972 18footer was by far the better sailboat. Probably the biggest issue to me was the large height above water which meant that as we heeld it was a much larger movement rolling from port to startboard in a tack - I knew the missus would hate that.

All the deck hardware and sheets seemed undersized too.

Now I regularly race 35 - 60 ft boats so the step up from 18ft to 26ft wasn't the issue. It just didn't feel comfortable to sail on - It just didn't feel natural sailing on it like other boats.

I guess it was designed as a compromise and for a lot of people it suits them 100%.

I will buy myself a bigger boat when I am ready to head off cruising. In the meantime I am happy crewing other people's boats and milking them for knowledge. People love feeling like they are the teacher I find. So I happily indulge them :-)
Kordie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
macgregor