Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2014, 06:12   #1

Macgregor 25/26C vs Aquarius A23

Hi guys. I'm on the hunt for a small trailerable sailboat. I've already decided that the mac26x is not for me. I have zero interest in going fast or anywhere near plaining speed. My requirements in order of importance.

#1 -Cost, if I can't afford it then we can't sail, simple as that. Looking for a bargain sailer a young family of four workin class guy can afford and fix up myself.
#2 - Trailerable, cost of mooring and the fact we live 5 hours from Seattle area. There's plenty of lakes around us to sail so we want the freedom to sail, mountain lakes and the bay out to San Juan if feasible.
#3 - Interior, I have two young kids (2,4yr old) they take naps, eat snacks, get time outs, want out of the elements, fight, etc. the more spacious the interior the better for everyone.

Obviously I'm talking trailerable so quality is subjective, not looking for a piece of junk but I'm happy for a boat that can be strengthened or upgraded. I'm fairly handy, can make a lot of my own stuff (machinist) and enjoy fixing up boats. Right now there's both a mac26c and an A23 within 6 hours and both are on trailers. I only have craigslist pictures to go by so I was hoping to get some info and suggestions before making the drive. Primary use of the boat will be small lakes and hopefully eventually sailing around the San Juan's.
icentropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 06:22   #2

Re: Macgregor 25/26C vs Aquarius A23

I had an Aquarius 23 and was quite happy with it. It seems like an excellent boat for the use you have in mind. While not a blue water vessel, it served my family well, was easy to launch, and required little maintenance.
walkovt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 10:01   #3

Re: Macgregor 25/26C vs Aquarius A23

Have you looked at a Catalina 22? PLENTY of these boats around and fulfill your requirements.
D.D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
macgregor