Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2021, 05:09   #16

Boat: Last owned Cat Morgan 51
Re: Mac 65

Some-one mentioned ZEUS, thats a sad story, she in in south Florida and was abandoned, now sank, I hope some-one has tried to save it.
Peter Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 06:46   #17

Boat: Hanse 505 50'

I would be amazed if you got 15-17 with the cruising version, except for surfing down waves. I would think 10-12 would be about max without surfing. Race version is a different matter.

One thing that starts happening with fast cruisers with the wind and waves in front of the beam is they are so fast they jump off the waves if there is any sort of swell, and you get slamming in conditions you wouldn’t think would lead to slamming. I have a Hanse 505 right now, which is quick considering how large it is below. I slow down to 7 knots if I’m pointing or close reaching to avoid slamming. If there isn’t a swell, 9 knots is much more fun!
ohthetrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:28   #18

Boat: Last owned Cat Morgan 51

Checkout youtube, for the mac 65,s independence, inner stay sail ONLY not the Genova, flat sea in a bay, with some-one water ski-ing behind it. I have never seen a sailboat that can pull a water skier., Other,s showing off the speed of this sailboat too, a lot fun just watching them. Anyway looking forward to the sea trial with this boat, and I shall film it. Because I want to see this first hand for my-self.
Peter Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:55   #19

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

I believe the F-27 tri was the first to tow a water skier.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:25   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohthetrees View Post
I would be amazed if you got 15-17 with the cruising version, except for surfing down waves. I would think 10-12 would be about max without surfing. Race version is a different matter.

One thing that starts happening with fast cruisers with the wind and waves in front of the beam is they are so fast they jump off the waves if there is any sort of swell, and you get slamming in conditions you wouldn’t think would lead to slamming. I have a Hanse 505 right now, which is quick considering how large it is below. I slow down to 7 knots if I’m pointing or close reaching to avoid slamming. If there isn’t a swell, 9 knots is much more fun!

LWL 63 feet so hull speed is 10.6 knots; beam is less than 12 feet so exceptionally fine (like a performance catamaran hull). D/L under 100 even loaded.

That will be a screamer. I would expect 12-13 knots without pushing all that hard; probably capable of 300 mile days on more than rare occasions. Probably much less good upwind, however, in the cruising version, but you would sail it like a performance catamaran, cracking off and using speed to stop leeway and increase VMG.

Should be a really good sailing boat, but low quality and underspecced rigging and deck gear may be a drawback.

A similarly conceived boat is the Dashew Sundeer, not quite as fine, not quite as light, so won't be as fast, vastly more expensive, also with shallow draft and the attendent drawbacks, but very well built and specified, much more rigid structure, much better fitout.

I like the idea of this -- make the boat longer without increasing the interior volume -- reduces D/L automatically, raises hull speed, more seaworthy, all without big cost penalty except for berthing, which is not an issue for many people. I'm kind of surprised there haven't been more boats built to this formula.

With less form stability from the narrow beam, I would REALLY want more draft, and a high aspect bulb keel to help the boat stand up to the sail plan, on a boat like this.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:55   #21

Boat: yorktown custom 40' cutter

back when i was young and dumb i helped deliver one of these from the PNW to MDR in preparation for a manzanillo race. (race version super light for the day). three straight days over 250nm til we got to the latitude of san fran then had to settle for hull speed the rest of the trip. the last 15 miles where upwind and took 4 hours. shockingly flexy boat but the owners comment was 'thats how they are'.

then sailed the 'cruiser' version from cabo to pnta mita to vallarta. whole different animal. still a bit soft and tender but a boat you could have some confidence in offshore.

there was a day-charter mac65 anchored off south shore lake tahoe for many years but i never saw it sail, would like to know the story of how they got it up there if anyone knows?
robwilk37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:19   #22

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Back in the 60s, when I was about 11yrs old, I skied behind a trimaran....
sv_pelagia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 13:07   #23

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
The legendary Windward Passage towed a water skier across the finish line at the Saint Francis YC many years before the F-27 came along. IIRC they were racing against their arch rival, named something like Black Jack or Black xxxx, and they were really rubbing noses in dirt. I thought it was pretty neat!

Jim
Old 03-03-2021, 13:12   #24

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Cool.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 13:47   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
The legendary Windward Passage towed a water skier across the finish line at the Saint Francis YC many years before the F-27 came along. IIRC they were racing against their arch rival, named something like Black Jack or Black xxxx, and they were really rubbing noses in dirt. I thought it was pretty neat!

Jim

Blackfin it was. Legendary match races.

Did you see any of these?
Old 04-03-2021, 15:49   #26

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Blackfin it was. Legendary match races.

Did you see any of these?
Blackfin... yes! Thanks for the reminder.

And yes, I was out sailing during many of those races, but not as a proper spectator. Just saw them whizzing past, mostly at some distance but occasionally up pretty close.

Windward passage remains one of my favorite boats of all time. A handsome vessel, well sailed and without frills or much hoopla, and incredibly fast for her time. She, along with Bill Lee's Merlin, were standout examples of west coast racers that have stood the test of time.

Jim