Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2016, 16:30   #1

Loud air conditioner

We have a Dometic Marineair airconditioning system and when it runs, it is very loud. Any ideas on how to quieten it down?

What brand is the quietest and most reliable?

Thanks!
Joemase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 16:41   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Loud air conditioner

The fan is loud, right? No real way to quieten it down easily, more outlets would help as would longer duct runs, but that's tough to do.
I looked long and hard at a King Airconditioner and kind of regret not going that route, one reason is I believe the fan speed turns down automatically to maintain temp, so once temp is reached, fan slows down and it gets quiet. Also I believe once compressor turns off so does the fan, like a house AC, most boats the fan runs continuously.
Isn't cheap though

I wouldn't mind a loud fan when it's hot and I want all the cooling I can get, but it gets annoying when you don't really need a lot of cooling.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 16:48   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Loud air conditioner

If the compressor is what's loud, I've been known to wrap them with 1/2" sound deadening insulation

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 17:54   #4

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joemase View Post
We have a Dometic Marineair airconditioning system and when it runs, it is very loud. Any ideas on how to quieten it down?

What brand is the quietest and most reliable?

Thanks!
===

We were able to quiet a couple of ours by wedging rubber sheeting between the base and the mounting surface. Do some poking around to try and find the worst vibration points.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 18:06   #5
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I would contact Dometic. They have very helpful engineers.

If is the compressor vibrating the hull, dampers. Lift it up and install only 4 equally spaced. You do NOT want to stuff in foam, as that increases the contact surface. The new models have tiny little rubber feet.

If it is the fan, are the ducts insulated? A little more length can also help.

I have a Dometic Turbo, and it is just a whisper. Louder than home, but 15 dB below the old portable we had (measured). It is supposed to be a big improvement over older models, and I believe it.
Old 13-10-2016, 18:29   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The fan is loud, right? No real way to quieten it down easily, more outlets would help as would longer duct runs, but that's tough to do.
I looked long and hard at a King Airconditioner and kind of regret not going that route, one reason is I believe the fan speed turns down automatically to maintain temp, so once temp is reached, fan slows down and it gets quiet. Also I believe once compressor turns off so does the fan, like a house AC, most boats the fan runs continuously.
Isn't cheap though

I wouldn't mind a loud fan when it's hot and I want all the cooling I can get, but it gets annoying when you don't really need a lot of cooling.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I actually prefer that the fan stays on. Unlike a house, you will hear the fan and air movement no matter what, unless you have a really big boat with long ducting. With the fan always on, it's like a white noise that I tune out. With the fan cycling with the compressor, it goes from dead silent to really noisy and it wakes me up.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
CaptNemoO2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 19:17   #7

Boat: Fleming 55

Cruisaire for years have a variable speed fan that speeds up on larger temperature differences. Ours runs slowly when the compressor is off and speeds up as the demand increases. You can also preset how slow the fan is. Because the temperature sensor is in the return air plenum there needs to be some airflow or the unit will cycle too much. Imagine the cabinet the evaporator is in is somewhat hot and then it circulates cold air. The compressors will just keep turning on and off.

We have ours set for a relatively slow speed and let it speed up when the demand gets higher.

We've like the Cruiseaire equipment. Good customer service when I've called too.

John