Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2020, 00:58   #1

Looking to purchase in 2035 for $150-$300k

Actually I am hoping to make list of potential makes and models to track over the next 15 years.

My wants:

Capable of being single handed. Short crossing will be myself and wife. Ocean crossings I will bring more crew.

Spent less than $300k in today’s dollars.

Comfortable at sea and anchor. We had a 30’ coastal cruiser circa 1980 and in retirement hope to have sometime nicer than camping and faster. Water maker and washer a must.

Plans are 6 - 8 month sailing seasons for 4-5 years. See what we can.

Please let me know if you know of a make and model I should look into. I like the idea of a modern design with practical features like more light, space and speed.

Thx
jeffjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 01:17   #2

Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Re: Looking to purchase in 2035 for $150-$300k

That is a lot of Happy Hunting years........I hope you will enjoy it .....
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 08:02   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
That is a lot of Happy Hunting years........I hope you will enjoy it .....

I don’t plan on boat hunting for 15 years, but given what I am looking for and budget I figure my future boat was already made in the last few years. So I can over the years reduce the list to my most desired list.

Example: a 20 year old Amel today seems like a good option ( I realize the main reason I know this is YouTube ) but I know there are many other options. The Amel 50 might be $300k in 15yrs.

I guess your right I am setting up a long game of hunting. Maybe I should ask what boat made in the last 10 years would you recommend for $800k. Then in 15 yrs I could buy it for $300k
jeffjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 08:21   #4

In 15 years, your dreams, taste, opinion, etc will all have changed. Much like asking a small child what they want to be when they grow up.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 09:22   #5

An Amel sounds like a very good idea. Great cruising boat.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 10:17   #6

Boat: Nordic 44

At the rate we are going the oceans will be dead in fifteen years.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 10:18   #7

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
At the rate we are going the oceans will be dead in fifteen years.
Was gonna post this lol. 2035 you might be able to pick up a post-apocalypse boat for pretty cheap
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 10:21   #8

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

If someone can predict that, I want them as a stock advisor.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 13:39   #9

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Well I have to give you the prize for one of the more unusual requests I have seen lately.

Fifteen years from now who knows what the rising sea level will do to our marinas. What will happen to low lying islands. What regulations will apply to our cruising community. They aren’t making it easier for us that is for sure.

Fifteen years from now you might not even be able to find a decent used model of an Amel. There was as a YouTube couple that had a small catamaran ... a PDQ ... maybe 38 foot or so .... very likable Canadians. Handsome couple.. channel and name escape me... any way they decided to buy a used Amel down in the lower Antilles. The plan was to have a robust platform that could handle exploring Patagonia and the low latitudes. The last I heard of them they were trying to sue the previous owner because of all the issues thAt came up with the Amel. Keep in mind that this couple had worked as charter captains. Had worked in a charter fleet. He is smart and capable person. Not a couple with tons of money. Had planned on selling berths to people who wanted big boat experience.

It all blew up in their face. Which can happen to anyone. That boat was carefully looked at before purchase. My point is very simple.... big boats cost big money to maintain and repair.

Second point. I was recently looking at a very nice multihull that is over 50 foot. After long detailed conversation about maintenance on the boat the conversation drifted into the sails at hand on the boat. This boat has circumnavigated the planet 2-3 X already. I asked about the condition of the sails. Blah blah. Replacement cost for the genny and headsail... North high quality bullet proof cruising sails on a fast multi.... 80K... the boat couldn’t be rebuilt for less than 1.5 mill. Now being sold for less than 300K.

That is the kind of shizzzle you are dealing with. It ain’t the price of the used boat that is the serious number. Look at that price as your entry price into the big boat experience. That is where many a skipper has gotten serious financial wounds. So, if you think you got the jing to maintain a hole in the water and enjoy literally flushing thousand dollar bills down the toilet... enjoy.

Or be sensible and enjoy sailing on a smaller platform now. Maybe even talk to skippers who have boats in charter fleets and take possession of their ex charter boat after 4-5 years. Wish you luck.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 16:04   #10

If you look at pictures of yachts at mooring at remote paradise islands, the obvious thing is that the majority of the boats are small. Less than 40 ft. A 50ft boat is more a show off boat rather than an adventure boat. The sheer amount of money tied up in a larger boat and the never ending maintenance explains why we don't see them as the most popular.
The most extreme version of this I recall was a large expensive looking yacht in Darwin many years ago. The owner, a wealthy New Yorker loved her yacht and had an interesting life style. The yacht had a permanent crew of three who always wore sharp snappy uniforms. The crew sailed and maintained the yacht and she would fly in with friends to explore the local social and sailing environment and then fly back home. Lovely lady who explained that NY was her life center and her husband's role was to finance her lifestyle.
My point is that there is a very wide spectrum of boating lifestyles and my suggestion is that you start looking at the realistic parts such as your own maintenance and sailing skills rather than a wish list. A degree of competence and a sense of adventure are the things that matter. Get out on some really small boats as often as possible. Read up on the extensive library of folks who have lived the lifestyle.
And as others are warning, don't leave it until too late. The world is not getting nicer.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 16:11   #11

Boat: Island Packet 349

It is hard to predict what will be happening in a year or two.

Another Cat 5 can wipe out what is left of the Caribbean fleet. Factories will go under because of the pandemic. Then, $300k in today’s money may buy a beaten up daysailer.

Or, you may do well enough between now and then, and will not be interested in anything below an 8-figure mark.

Very unusual request, indeed.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 17:43   #12

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hello, Jeff,

Life often gets in the way of our plans. I think you'll see profound changes in the boat market over he next 10 yrs.

My suggestion is to get a trailer sailer now, and get out on the water for a while. It is a relatively small investment that you should be able to re-coup. It will get your and your good lady's skills tuned up, and then, when it is closer to time, your new ideas shall have firmed up a lot, and you'll have had a lot of fun in the mean time. You could also find out in that period of time how little or how much you enjoy boat maintenance, which is a large part of cruising. Imho, it is experience on the water that will do you the most good if you are an aspiring cruiser.

Of course, if you just want to talk about boats, that's okay, too.

Ann
Old 19-09-2020, 18:11   #13

Reflecting further on Ann's post,my experience and that of many others on this fine forum, is that the advantages of owning a boat teaches you the most about, well uh, boats. In addition to the hull & rigging, there are myriad systems and engines & electrical. Waiting to get your dream boat may put that critical learning phase off too late. And learning by books & YouTube isn't the same as getting your hands dirty and your feet wet. Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 21:48   #14

Boreal 44, Ovni 400, Sirius 40ds, Seawind 1370. If you are looking for some lesser known names.

Everything else said also applies.

Another thing is atleast in australia, having seawind in charter seem to have a pretty long and proven history. It will pretty much recuperate the cost of depreciation and maintanence. Might be a good way to get into a new boat with 5-10 years before retirement.
Yihang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 21:55   #15

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

Just to throw in my two cents...

I'm also looking to sell my current vessel and purchase a brand new 45-60 monohull in 2035.

I have 15 years to save $1,000,000. That's $66,666.66 per year, assuming no interest.

That's $1200+ per week... yikes! That's a lot of money.

But all kidding aside... I also have a goal for 2035. That's 15 years from now... I'll be 55 years old, assuming with kids in "college" and wife that also wants to travel the world.

Great goals, OP... wishing you the best! Go for it and start aiming for it now. Aim for the stars and in the worst case scenario you'll end up on the moon, which is still phenomenal.

Good luck! Keep us posted!!!
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase