Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2020, 09:38   #16

Re: Looking to purchase in 2035 for $150-$300k

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Hello, Jeff,

Life often gets in the way of our plans. I think you'll see profound changes in the boat market over he next 10 yrs.

My suggestion is to get a trailer sailer now, and get out on the water for a while. It is a relatively small investment that you should be able to re-coup. It will get your and your good lady's skills tuned up, and then, when it is closer to time, your new ideas shall have firmed up a lot, and you'll have had a lot of fun in the mean time. You could also find out in that period of time how little or how much you enjoy boat maintenance, which is a large part of cruising. Imho, it is experience on the water that will do you the most good if you are an aspiring cruiser.

Of course, if you just want to talk about boats, that's okay, too.

Ann

Thanks Ann (you always give good advise) and others... your points are valid.

I owned, maintained and improved a 30’ islander over 8 years, so I understand the time, cost and effort required. I also guess a large boat will be 3 - 5 times the work and cost... so I don’t need a LARGE boat, I just want a water maker, washing machine and sail her with little crew.... this is the retirement plan (age 60). We hate washing clothes now, so I figure the washing machine might be a decent measure of comfort we will be looking for.... even if it cost more.

The now plan is join a sailing club for weekend charters. My son will be 3 next year and I want to get time on the local island and do not have time for maintenance.

Why not go now... it isn’t our only dream in life and our parents would kill us if we took their grandson away.

From some posts it sounds like the ocean will be changed and I will need the boat from water world. I am planning with the hope that the entire environment does go to hell for 20 years... here is hoping.

Reality is most discussion on boats are circa 1970 - 2000ish. But it you plan on purchasing in the future, current models with different designs are options. It doesn’t need to be a large boat, although it seems most are big now days.

Thx
jeffjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 09:43   #17

Re: Looking to purchase in 2035 for $150-$300k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
Just to throw in my two cents...

I'm also looking to sell my current vessel and purchase a brand new 45-60 monohull in 2035.

I have 15 years to save $1,000,000. That's $66,666.66 per year, assuming no interest.

That's $1200+ per week... yikes! That's a lot of money.

But all kidding aside... I also have a goal for 2035. That's 15 years from now... I'll be 55 years old, assuming with kids in "college" and wife that also wants to travel the world.

Great goals, OP... wishing you the best! Go for it and start aiming for it now. Aim for the stars and in the worst case scenario you'll end up on the moon, which is still phenomenal.

Good luck! Keep us posted!!!

Good luck also- we are same in boat, but I only have to save $500 per week

Can’t promise I will keep you posted 15 years from now.., but maybe.
jeffjd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase