Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2015, 12:41   #1

Boat: 33 Dufour GibSea
Looking to Buy 30 Foot Sloop Next Year

In about a years time I want to get about a 30 foot sloop for coastal use around Oriental, NC.

I plan to do some homework before proceeding. Any advice would be appreciated. Have sailed small boats, when I was younger. So I know a tiny bit about it

Thanks.

Michael
Goofeyfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:55   #2
cruiser

Re: Looking to Buy 30 Foot Sloop Next Year

You haven't stated a budget, but the Catalina sailboats from the 1980's are quite nice if you're on a tight budget. Back then, I almost purchased a new Catalina 36.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 13:01   #3

Good question. I was thinking of a good used boat maybe in the vicinity of 30K. No idea whether that's even doable

Thanks.

Michael
Old 11-10-2015, 13:06   #4
cruiser

Check out yachtworld.com. Do a search on the 30-36ft Catalina sailboats.

I just checked myself. With the Catalina 36 MK I selling in the high 30's to low 40's... Your plan is very do-able. Remember, a 36ft boat is nearly twice as big as a 30footer.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 13:07   #5

Boat: Mirage 35

FWIW, I have started looking around the Canadian side of the Great Lakes for something in the 30 - 35 foot range and, based on what I've seen so far, a good used 30 footer for $30k US is very doable.

I don't know what would make sense to you or in your area, and and am anything but expert, so won't presume to make suggestions beyond that.
Mirage35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 13:08   #6

Ok. Will do.

Thanks again.

Michael
Old 11-10-2015, 23:44   #7

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Absolutely doable, but more info would be nice. At this point though without too much experience I understand you are fishing around. I'd just say don't assume newer boats are necessarily better than older. I have one built in the 60s still going strong and built better than most boats in the 70s and 80s (or now!). The older boats, if well maintained, are great bargains. You might look at Pearson Tritons and Vanguards, Columbia 29 and some others from the 60s. But without knowing your preferences its hard to direct you. If you plan on sailing, judge a boat by how she sails, not how she feels back at the slip. I know that may sound obvious, but many boats are purchased without being really sailed first. Check bluewaterboats.org and atomvoyages.com for some ideas. Sailboat-cruising.com has some good info too.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 02:53   #8

Boat: Bristol 27

There are 84 boats for sale in Oriental, NC right now on Yacht World many in your size and price range including this one:

1982 Cape Dory 30 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

There are also 28 boats in New Bern, 16 in Beaufort, and 7 in Havelock
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:08   #9
cruiser

There are a lot of older glass production thirty footers around; with patience and negotiating skill you should be able to find one in excellent condition for $15,000 USD. Keep the remainder of your budget in reserve; your boat will soak up a surprising amount of it in the first two or three years.

My personal preference is for CCA boats like the Alberg 30 or older Cape Dory or Bristol models, but there are many more modern boats like the Tartan 30, Baltic 30, or Yankee 30 that would also serve you well. Look for a boat from a good builder in excellent condition. Things like good sails from a good sailmaker, newer standing and running rigging, newer keel bolts (if applicable) good ground tackle, and, for many sailors, a newer or rebuilt diesel engine, significantly raise the value, but not the price. Money put into a boat is not easily recovered at resale, so it's wise to let the previous owner(s) pay for renovation/rebuilding/repair.

Do not overlook the value of ancillary equipment. Even mundane items like pots, pans, dishes, life jackets, dock lines, paint brushes, hand bearing compass, fog horn, dinghy anchor, tools, spare parts (and the Tupperware containers in which to store them) all cost money which soon mounts up to surprising sums. The ideal boat seller is an older man or woman who has always kept his vessel in a fully found, top notch condition and is selling due to age. The boat should come with ALL equipment (inventory and list all of it in writing as part of the deal). Someone who is moving up to a larger boat will take most of that equipment with him. Do not hesitate to demand the price be reduced accordingly.

It is my observation that a real bargain comes along on the market perhaps once every six to nine months.

Good luck!

Paul
Paul J. Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:24   #10

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

If you just walk around oriental, you will find a number of 30-ish foot boats on trailers parked on the side of the road. Call the number on the for sale sign and they will probably welcome you to poke around. It's much better than trying to sneak into a private Marina to dock walk . Your plan is very doable. In Annapolis now, you see nice 28-30 footers with inboard diesels, recent sails, a workable electronics suite, and all around in good shape for as low as $6000. If the prices aren't as good in Oriental (though I saw a nice SC 28 and a small Gulf on a trailer there) it's an easy trip down the icw from the Chesapeake to oriental.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:44   #11

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

If you are no expert then the best advice, once you find that perfect one, is pay for a professional survey. Yes do the internet searches including Craig's List and Boat Trader and don't be reluctant to bargain with owners. If it's not local, figure paying somebody to deliver it (assume 50 miles /day). It's kind of like buying a used car; investigate, research, and buy professional back up at the end.. The money you save by not going through a broker should more than pay for a couple of surveys. But before you do anything you need to decide if you want a trailer-able boat or can live with renting a slip. That will dictate a lot of your search.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:08   #12

Boat: Scout 30

For 30K you could jump up in quality if you take your time & look for a deal. Check out Island Packet, Nonsuch & Pacific Seacraft just to name a few.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:37   #13

Boat: Albin 36 Express Trawler

Strongly suggest an Alberg 30. I had one for 20 years. Very well built classic boat by Whitbey in Canada in the 60s. Very seaworthy and can get a good one for $15,000. Check the Alberg 30 Association in Annapolis, Md. Very active association.
vlathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 10:23   #14

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofeyfoot View Post
In about a years time I want to get about a 30 foot sloop for coastal use around Oriental, NC.

I plan to do some homework before proceeding. Any advice would be appreciated. Have sailed small boats, when I was younger. So I know a tiny bit about it

Thanks.

Michael

$30buy and outfit.

Do you have a plan for moorage? Location and costs.
How many onboard normally? Kids?
Do you want to go outside or will you stay in the bays and ICW?
What do you want to spend for upkeep annually?
Have you considered trailerable?
Do you have draft restrictions in your area?
Are looking to weekend regularly or do you want to go weeks at a time?
Is nipping down to the Bahamas a consideration?
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 10:52   #15

Boat: Dufour Arpege

I have a pretty decent 1975 Dufour Arpege 30, sitting in St Marks, Fl I would sell for about $13,500. Thinking of going a bit larger.

It's French, small blue water cruiser. Handles rough weather, very well. Lots of info out there on them. Just did the bottom about 4 months ago.
jag39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sloop