Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2009, 11:34   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

There is a significant difference between a CT and Formosa although I understand the founders of both yards were brothers.
All things being equal the CT is IMHO a better boat...but both will need lots of loven.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 07:37   #17

With regards to CT compared to Formosa you are quite correct. The CT has a better selection of upgraded hardware. The construction isn't much different. Same is true of the Vagabond. On the other end of the scale with the cheapest construction is the Hudson Force 50.
Jack Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2009, 09:45   #18

Boat: Ranger 23
Send a message via ICQ to emagin Send a message via AIM to emagin Send a message via Yahoo to emagin Send a message via Skype™ to emagin
Please look at my cruising boat spreadsheet (signature)
Look for boats with a Column V score of 6-7 and up.
Also look at the TABS at the bottom of the sheet where you will find source references, info from the Mahina List (which you can also visit online).

What you should care about with kids is comfort ratios (as a start to screen boats) and then follow that up with questions on the boat type forums to figure out what real world experiences are.
While the HRs appear to be incredibly well built with incredible reputations, I'm not sure it's in your budget!
emagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2009, 10:09   #19

Probably any heavy boat that is well built will serve you. Note the times for the recent Caribbean 1500, heavy, light, mono, multi....mostly finished withing 12 hours of one another.

Regarding Chinese, I believe Engilish is and will be the language of the future for the simple fact it is a technical language. Chinese is, sorry to say, not a languge for todays technology.

My $.02
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 05:06   #20

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Jack Tar
With regards to CT compared to Formosa you are quite correct. The CT has a better selection of upgraded hardware. The construction isn't much different. Same is true of the Vagabond. On the other end of the scale with the cheapest construction is the Hudson Force 50.

I'm also doing some research prior to buying a liveaboard-able boat around mid 2010. It's good to hear some positive comment on Formosas and Vagabonds. I've only just discovered Hudson Force 50s. Would they be considered an inferior or lower value choice than the other two?

Also, any experience or comments on Hans Christians?

Vic
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 06:21   #21

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post

But I am more interested in what you think is required of your children.

I tell people they need to make sure their children learn Mandarin, because this is going to be the Chinese century and it will be required like latin and then french and then english were.

They are also probably going to be the first generation to really have to deal with the disappearance of cheap oil. That's probably going to be a shocking transition for western society, but on a cruising boat is a good place to learn how.

Then they are going to have to deal with a changing diet - with the decline of fish stocks and the loss of cheap oil for water irrigation and fertilizer. Perhaps you should have a little sprouts and tomatoes farm on the boat.
Even, I tell my kids the same.
Get ready for the Chinese explosion.
Get ready for expensive energy, water shortages, and high food prices, if you can get it.
I am sure that there will be ways to counter some of these problems, but not all, and not right away. I can foresee some serious problems down the road.

Anyone that can communicate in Chinese will have a edge business wise.
Bob
Old 17-11-2009, 07:09   #22
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfnbw View Post
Anyone that can communicate in Chinese will have a edge business wise.
Bob

I can comunicate with them. in English. All Chinese who want to get anywhere know English. All of them

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 07:32   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Don't buy your boat a month before you plan to leave. You will need to spend a lot of time with her, and money on her, before you'll feel ready for a trip like that.

Another bit of advice -- don't underestimate the expense and then end up cutting potentially dangerous corners. The boat is only part of the picture. If you spend $50k on a boat even in very good condition, you can easily spend a whole nother $50k on equipment, inventory, repairs, upgrades -- boat bucks just fly out of your wallet. To keep it down to $15k or $20k will be a fairly good trick.

If you know all of this already, my apologies.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 11:32   #24

Mark has got it spot on. If you've ever listened to them talking chinese, it's got to be a huge relief to them just to say it in english... a bit like the scottish!
Old 17-11-2009, 11:38   #25

Maybe kids should all have a copy of Ken Neumeyer's book, 'Sailing the Farm' in their stockings this xmas.

Tags
buying, purchasing