Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2010, 14:09   #1

Looking for Present and Former Owners of Small (Under 30') Boats

I am interested in owner, and folks who have considerable helm time, on the following boats to give me their feedback as to how 'livable' and well founded they are or are'nt. For use as a Pocket Long Range Cruiser, and Shoal Waters around Islands.

Rob Roy 23, Nimble 24, Nimble 20, PS Flicka 20,Sea Pearl 28, IP 27. Yes, the first 3 are much smaller than the last 3, and I list them because they have much interest from me.
CastOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 14:37   #2

Boat: Atkin Ingrid 38' Ketch-0p;/(Beautiful freak of) Faiaoahe
Aloha Castoff,
The Rob Roy and the Flicka have a considerable amount of space below for short cruisers. Both great boats. This one may not have a lot of room, but you don't want to have enough room to go flying every time the boat pitches. Another small cruiser that seems to get overlooked check it out at frances26.org/sbj_review.html
I have only sailed each boat once in Florida in light winds but the sailing was more comfortable on the frances IMHO. good hunting!
seasonednovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 15:32   #3

Mahalo Just what I had in mind with my post's questions. I'm Kam'aina from Pupekea But on the hard on the East Coast Mainland finding a boat that I can wander my way back with while Coastal Cruising for the most part..with a few big jumps in between.

I have only been aboard the Nimble 20, but did not go for a sail unfortunately at the time. The Sea Pearl 28 Cat Ketch interests me for ease of single handing.

I agree with not wanting so much 'cavern' below so that a wake throws me across the cabin Been there done that...Which is why I am seeking a smaller <-30Fter for living aboard and sailing coastal waters most of the time. From my years of sailing, past boats owned; I have come to the conclusion that a boat too big for me to enjoy 'day sailing' is more than I need. I like simple in my boats, easier to maintain Bristol condition, and I don't have to fret over every little bump and ding

I am familiar with the Frances26/Contessa boats, and may go that route if I find a well found one reasonably priced. Right now the ones I mentioned have my interest.
Old 10-02-2010, 16:15   #4

Boat: Grew up sailing Blue Jays then Lightnings, Ensign 22, Hunter 33 sailed the PNW and loved it!
PSC Dana

Castoff, great luck on finding a small boat. In your list I might consider a PSC Dana. A little more room then the flicka. Since your willing to look at IP 27 then the Dana would not be to big. A search on Yatchworld has many IP27's and I think are priced close to the an old Dana. If willing to go as big as an IP27 maybe a used shannon 28 (not as many used one on the market and higher priced 45K..

Curious as to what you mean by a reasonably priced boat? as well as if your travelling solo? I like the aft bearth on the IP27 for extra storage. The ability to use the settee's as a sea berth. The V berth in port doing all that coastal sailing prior to making longer jumps.

Great luck!

Mike
topfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 16:37   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/14564 cheapest I could find...lol
Why not a Tartan 27.....??

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 16:58   #6

in that realm, I'd add the OI28, PS 27 Mariah, PS 25, CD 25D
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 17:17   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfish View Post
Castoff, great luck on finding a small boat. In your list I might consider a PSC Dana. A little more room then the flicka. Since your willing to look at IP 27 then the Dana would not be to big. A search on Yatchworld has many IP27's and I think are priced close to the an old Dana. If willing to go as big as an IP27 maybe a used shannon 28 (not as many used one on the market and higher priced 45K..

Curious as to what you mean by a reasonably priced boat? as well as if your travelling solo? I like the aft bearth on the IP27 for extra storage. The ability to use the settee's as a sea berth. The V berth in port doing all that coastal sailing prior to making longer jumps.

Great luck!

Mike
Mike, thank you for bringing the Dana 24 to my attention (I think) my upper limit on the boat purchase is going to have to be $30K. I had intially looked at getting a 32ft Catamaran and had the $100K, but a bad business deal has of this week pulled that rug out from under my feet Though a State Attorney General is working on getting me some of that back

Hence I am now looking at the used market more closely, and boats like the Flicka. It is less room than a Dana 24, if someone could place in a post the 'spreadsheet of specs' on the Dana 24, Flicka 20, Shannon 28, IP 27, Sea Pearl 28; I'd be obliged as I am not up to speed on how to do that. Ok, I'm a Luddite and only really type on this computer< oppositte of a computer/electronic gadget geek I still don't have a cell phone or digital camera

The Shannon 28 is a boat I recalled hearing about in the mid to late 1980's I think? Have to look at that one....Yachtworld....they should call it DreamWorld!LOL!
Old 10-02-2010, 17:22   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
in that realm, I'd add the OI28, PS 27 Mariah, PS 25, CD 25D
I prefer not to have an inboard diesel so the CD25D is out (and I'm not a fan of the cockpit on those boats, though they are built like Tanks). The OI28 is a bit old for my liking ; the PS 27 Mariah or 25 I am not aware of and will have to look for online.

I want 3ft or so draft, as in the past I have had boats with less sail fine in open ocean, Atlantic and Pacific, and I'm an explorer type sailor who likes to get into coves away from the main anchorages. Thanks for the suggestions
Old 10-02-2010, 19:25   #9

Boat: Grew up sailing Blue Jays then Lightnings, Ensign 22, Hunter 33 sailed the PNW and loved it!
Good Luck Castoff

Castoff,

Thanks for defining price range of 30K. That is going to limit you some. It was my belief your looking to live aboard the boat, do some extended coastal cruising and make some offshore passages. All of the boats you are looking at and the ones others have mentioned are inexpensive small boats that were built strong. Not sure about how any 30 plus year old boat will survey. If 30K is your max I think a well maintained Dana or a Shannon 28 wil be just out of your 30K range. I have a friend who owns and is selling thier shannon 28 (45K firm). Its not listed on yatch world but the price is consistant with others. His is Bristol and well kept. They use it as a summer condo and are selling do to age. I believe most used Dana's are going to be slightly above 30K range.

The Flicka is in that range but I would think you might prefer the IP27. There is one listed on YW out of Florida. I really think that extra space on the IP 27 will be valued as a Live Aboard and extended cruising. I really love that aft sea berth.

Since my last post Seacraft Yatchs emailed me there price sheet. Base price is 144K, the one they built and in that video is is 179K but they are letting it go for 147K (Boat show price).

Something you said in prior post about being cynical about buying a boat from a company going out of buisness (angry employees, etc).. I have some caution with a builder who has only built one boat since taking ownership.

Its a buyers market so good luck and I hope you find your boat!

Good luck,
Mike
topfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:56   #10

Boat: B24
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastOff View Post
give me their feedback as to how 'livable'... For use as a Pocket Long Range Cruiser, and Shoal Waters around Islands.

Generally speaking, if you want living space of any kind in the under 30-foot size, especially from the mid-20s and below, you will need a heavier displacement vessel – typically with a D/L in the 325 and up range (our B24 comes in at 385 and I rate her as middle of the pack for this reality-sized philosophy). Any vessel in this range is going to be pocket-sized, and you’ll need to be content living in the small – if you’re a back-packer, you’ll think you have too much space, but if you’re a Winnebago type, my guess is you’ll be frustrated with most under-thirty offerings. Sounds like you’re already pretty well-read on the matter, but along with the vessels already mentioned, you might throw in an Allegra 24 (rare, but they are out there) and the Nor’ Sea 27, although I suspect they’ll be out of your price range. I’m with you on the reservations about an inboard diesel (takes up storage space), but the boat’s esthetics suffer in many folks’ eyes with a kicker hung of the transom, so there is always a trade-off and generally the modern little diesels are nearly bullet-proof which is probably not a fair statement for even the newest 4-stroke O/B hung out in the weather. Not wild about the screen number for the IP27, but that’s what one ends up with in pudgy, modern boats trying to imitate the more classic lines with condo-width beams.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:03   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Have you considered these....
Iroquois Catamaran for sale
Sure I've seen em for sale your side of the pond..
'Sundowner' Iroquois Mark II am ketch #229. She is an factory original ketch rig - one of a kind as far as is known. New Honda 9.9 longshaft, new radio, depth sounder, new pressure water system, new batteries, new inverter, new lifelines, new trampoline, new Caribe dinghy with Yamaha 9.9, Auto-Helm auto pilot, new propane system and stove, rewired. Lying Lighthouse Point, Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
Contact Jim, email: nauticalresearch@yahoo.com $25,000.00
This is link to Owners association....
http://www.17mo.fsnet.co.uk/Top%20Le...For%20Sale.htm

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2010, 13:48   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrng View Post
Generally speaking, if you want living space of any kind in the under 30-foot size, especially from the mid-20s and below, you will need a heavier displacement vessel – typically with a D/L in the 325 and up range (our B24 comes in at 385 and I rate her as middle of the pack for this reality-sized philosophy). Any vessel in this range is going to be pocket-sized, and you’ll need to be content living in the small – if you’re a back-packer, you’ll think you have too much space, but if you’re a Winnebago type, my guess is you’ll be frustrated with most under-thirty offerings. Sounds like you’re already pretty well-read on the matter, but along with the vessels already mentioned, you might throw in an Allegra 24 (rare, but they are out there) and the Nor’ Sea 27, although I suspect they’ll be out of your price range. I’m with you on the reservations about an inboard diesel (takes up storage space), but the boat’s esthetics suffer in many folks’ eyes with a kicker hung of the transom, so there is always a trade-off and generally the modern little diesels are nearly bullet-proof which is probably not a fair statement for even the newest 4-stroke O/B hung out in the weather. Not wild about the screen number for the IP27, but that’s what one ends up with in pudgy, modern boats trying to imitate the more classic lines with condo-width beams.
I agree with your post Larry, and Mike's and some others above it. I just spent a few days looking at some of these types in person, actually spent a bit of money to fly out to see some that were dockside.

I'm coming back to boating, from a 10yr hiatus; with a backpacker's perspective on what is comfortable for me, and maybe one short term, ahem, 'guest'. I have decided that it's going to be either a 27ft or 31ft at this point after wearing out some shoe leather.

What's a 'screen number' that you refer to in your last sentence Larry?

Thanks for the responses folks, it helped me narrow my choices down pretty quickly. It proved to me that some of my initial boats were easy to cross off my list for whatever reasons.
Old 13-02-2010, 13:49   #13

I've decided to go with another monohull, but appreciate the post on the Multi just the same.
Old 15-02-2010, 14:14   #14

Boat: Nimble30 'Sweet Pea'

Interestingly, 5 of the 6 were manufactured in SW Florida. And yes, the first three are quite different than the remainder. The Nimbles, both 20 and 24, have sharpie hulls and thus do a bit of slapping and pounding but I really admire their shallow draft for coastal cruising. However, I can't image them being liveaboards. I've always admired the Flicka and might have purchased one had they been a bit more shoal draft. The Flicka is big enough for extended stays but at 20' one would have to be pretty durable to live aboard one.
I own a SeaPearl 21 and seriously considered a 28. However, very few were produced and I have not seen one for sale in 4 or 5 years. I ended up in a Nimble 30.
gardnsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 15:21   #15

Boat: Alan Pape. Ebbtide 33'
I lived on a Cross 24 for a period. "with all my stuff..It sat kinda low in the water"
point being, small multi-hull do not carry cruising loads well
Scare_Rab is offline   Reply With Quote