Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2017, 06:53   #1

Looking for people familiar with repairing and rigging a cal 20

I just bought a Cal 20 in Florida and I'm doing some work to it before I put it in the water. There's a lot of information online so I understand basically how to do most of what the boat needs -- bottom paint, replace keel bolts, minor repairs, glass over through hulls, etc. There is a fairly comprehensive set of Cal20 restoration pictures on several sites and those have been a big help, but there are a few things I'd like to know I haven't been able to find anywhere else. For some perspective, this is my second boat. The first was a Hobie 16.

One thing I need to do first is replace the keel bolts and I'd like to ask what I should do if the wood between the hull and liner is is water damaged. I don't know yet for sure there's rot but the keel bolts are pretty rusty and there's other water damage. Crossing my fingers but if it needs to be repaired not exactly sure how to proceed.
Related to this, some people seem to be saying put the keel back on and seal it with epoxy/filler, while others say use life caulk. I would have thought epoxy would be better but I'm not sure.

I'm also having trouble finding information on is how the boat is rigged. I understand some people added an adjustable backstay system by adding a second chainplate to the transom area, but the boat I purchased only has one chainplate on the starboard side. I can't see any holes or repairs where the other one would have been. Was the backstay attached to one chainplate only and how would that even work if the chainplate isn't centered?

I guess what would really help is if someone's willing to talk me through some things. I have a copy of the owner's manual available but the illustrations are incomplete at best and at worst indecipherable. Is there someone with whom I could correspond to ask a few questions about rigging and repairs? Thanks if you can or if you can put me in touch with someone who can.

Sorry to come out of the gate with so much. I've been lurking for a while but never had a reason to post before.

Jack
cyrano138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 07:05   #2

Boat: Santana 23D, 23ft
Re: Looking for people familiar with repairing and rigging a cal 20

You might try contacting Seal's spars and rigging. They specialize in cal 20's. www.sealsspars.com
Vets sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 11:02   #3

That was excellent advice, thank you!
He informed me there is no wood down there, which is a huge relief since the boat is otherwise in very decent condition.
Old 26-06-2017, 13:12   #4

Boat: Santana 23D, 23ft

We had four in our sailing school. They are built like tanks. Seal's is an excellent resource. Enjoy your boat.
Vets sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 08:50   #5

Boat: Freedom 39 Pilothouse Schooner 1984

I had a Cal 20 for some years - The deck is likely spongy with core rot by now so that's a big fix at some point although she sailed fine despite that.

I also had rusted keel bolts - Rather than removing them, I drilled the same number of holes and used similar bolts (with very large washers inside) in new locations midways between the old ones (which remained) - Figured it was easier and at least as strong.

Great boat - sailed like a larger one and is fast too!
Greg
canman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 12:31   #6

Great little boat. I've no idea of how many novices I've taught the basics in Cal 20s. Couldn't ask for a better teaching boat :-)

Recognize that a Cal20 is but a dinghy with a deck and a keel. That's why she goes like stink :-)!

But you don't need to get all agitated about "maintenance" like you do with a "real" boat. Long before the keel drops off she'll weep through the keel bolts. Long before she takes enuff water to sink her, the water will be over the deck sole and you'll know it :-) Then you bail 1) till the boat is empty. 2) financially by scrapping her. You can't have a helluvalot invested. Around here they go for a coupla grand. It'll cost you more to "fix" the rusty keel bolts than walking away from this Cal20 and buying another.

As for the backstay: Your rigging isn't gonna come down. It's over-dimensioned for the kind of use you are likely to give the boat. Leave the stay where it is. She may "sail a bit funny", but nothing significant.

If you insist, move the existing chainplate to centre, and fill the holes where she used to be with goop. We are talking utility here. Not museum quality restoration :-) Bolting though the transom with 5/16" stainless machine screws will be adequate, though a plywood backer with fender washers under the nuts is recommended.

Just go sail the hell out of her. You'll have fun. By and by she'll have taught you enough that you can move up the a "real" ship :-)!

All the best

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 19:03   #7

Just wanted to update. I got a lot of advice here and from a few people that have been fixing these boats up for a long time. For anyone else interested in doing their own project, I'll post some photos and links to what I'm doing.

To start, the boat needs a lot of work, but I don't mind. I've been learning a lot about boat maintenance and repair just researching this project. I'm going from the bottom up.

The first thing the boat needed was to re-attach the keel properly. I decided to drop it and replace the bolts, but it was really because there was a lot of rust coming from the compromised epoxy that bonded the keel to the hull. Water that had obviously gotten in between the top of the keel flange and the hull.
This was a challenge in itself because the trailer isn't very well designed, and when I bought stands to lift the boat off the trailer I was pretty disappointed to find it still didn't leave much room to work.

The next challenge was removing the old keel bolts which, as it turns out, still had many years of life left in them. I'll take a photo next time I go to the boat to work on it. six of the eight bolts were removed with a ratchet and breaker bar, but the last two (of course) were seized. So, when the nut turned, so did the bolt.

I cut those bolts but it was a messy job and I accidentally hit the glass of the hull a few times, so I'll have to patch that up. Doing a patch would be a lot easier if the part of the hull where the bolts come up through (there's a term for it but I forget) wasn't lined with some plastic-ish material. So I guess I'll grind all of that out and just leave it bare glass, and maybe even put a layers of laminate down to beef up the area. Some of the glass got pretty hot when cutting out the bolts so I think maybe a few extra layers couldn't hurt.

Anyway, after doing that we still had to pry the keel off the hull. I didn't want to risk pulling apart the laminate of the hull but I was really out of ideas. Fortunately, no damage there.
What I found was strange. from the top of the bare iron flange to the hull, here's what I found: a layer of about a quarter inch of epoxy (no filler), some kind of paper with a glossy side up glued to the epoxy, then a similar layer of paper with a glossy side (down this time to meet the glossy surface on the top of the flange) and then the hull.

The last time this was done, it seems the owner glassed it in with epoxy, but there were a lot of compromises in the fairing around the flange and there was a fair amount of rust on the top of the flange.

Next challenge was just figuring out how to work in the tight space I had. I'm still working on that, but have laid the keel down on some aluminum trailer beams running laterally so I can slide the keel around a bit.

Here's me before I laid the keel down completely.

I decided to grind it down to bare metal, oshpo, it and then apply about five (maybe more) layers of epoxy, no filler. You may doubt epoxy's ability to bond with metal (I know I did), but after spending hours and days chiseling, grinding, and scraping epoxy off the metal I no longer doubt its ability to hold.

I'm going to do this one side at a time simply because I can't get the keel out from under the boat where it is. So, I'll grind (almost finished with one side), clean, ospho, and then epoxy, and then I'll flip it over and repeat, making sure there's some over lap (just as you would glass the rails on a surfboard twice) so there's no seam or weak spot.

I'll post some links to videos soon.
Old 14-03-2020, 10:40   #8

Hey, you ever make progress on this and get to rigging her? I’m in the process of rebuilding a cal 20 I got for free and am slowly piecing together how and where everything goes. I’m hoping in the 3ish years since you posted this you might have figured her all out and could answer me a few questions. ?????
SCMB666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2020, 10:44   #9

Hey, I have made some progress but not a lot. I had a busy couple years. I'm actually planning on putting the keel back on this week and hopefully finishing the bottom by May.

I'll help however I can. Maybe we can figure it out together. PM me and I'll give you my contact info.
Old 14-03-2020, 10:58   #10

CSM and Cyrano:

There isn't a lot to a Cal 20. I taught on them for a number of years. Where do you want to start? Is the mast on the boat at this moment?

If there is hardware you are not sure about, take pics and post the pics one or two or three at a time, and we'll soon have it all sorted :-)

I think Cyrano posted a pic long ago with ALL the fittings laid out on a plank. That was too overwhelming to deal with by e-mail, and the individual fittings showed too small to really identify.

Anyway pass a few [good :-)] photos by me, and I'll get you going.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2020, 11:42   #11

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

SCMB & Cyrano: where you both.
I replaced the bolts on my Cal20.
Cyrano, what are you bedding with?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2020, 11:45   #12

Marine Tex on the advice of a guy who works on them a lot out in CA. I'm in FL.
Old 15-03-2020, 10:07   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano138 View Post
Hey, I have made some progress but not a lot. I had a busy couple years. I'm actually planning on putting the keel back on this week and hopefully finishing the bottom by May.

I'll help however I can. Maybe we can figure it out together. PM me and I'll give you my contact info.
Well at least you didn’t give up on her. I’m in the middle of redoing my keel as well. Jacked the boat up and blocked her then used threaded rod to lower the keel down. You might consider using some all thread when putting it back on to help align it. Also I found bolts for a pretty good price on amazon. $14 each. If you looked harder you might even find them cheaper
Old 15-03-2020, 10:15   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
CSM and Cyrano:

There isn't a lot to a Cal 20. I taught on them for a number of years. Where do you want to start? Is the mast on the boat at this moment?

If there is hardware you are not sure about, take pics and post the pics one or two or three at a time, and we'll soon have it all sorted :-)

I think Cyrano posted a pic long ago with ALL the fittings laid out on a plank. That was too overwhelming to deal with by e-mail, and the individual fittings showed too small to really identify.

Anyway pass a few [good :-)] photos by me, and I'll get you going.

TrentePieds
I have a lot of fiberglass work to do before I start assembling it but one thing I haven’t figured out is the rear stay. The boat came with parts to switch it to an adjustable rear stay. I’m not going to race this thing and want to keep it as simple as possible so, I want to attach it like it came from the factory. I can’t find any pictures of a stock setup. It looks like it was offset to the left, to avoid the tiller I assume. Is this correct?

From pictures I’ve looked at on google they do look like pretty simple boats. When I get to putting the mast on, then I’ll have more questions
Old 15-03-2020, 11:13   #15

Yeah it's offset to starboard on mine. I'll send a picture tomorrow

Tags
cal, cal 20, rigging