Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2006, 05:29   #1

Boat: none yet
looking for my last boat

Ahoy! I have been sailin for over 35 years. Started out crewing a sloth of a boat ( Grampian 29') which was owned by a friend of my father's. This guy thought it was a racer...lol...so we raced her at the club every week.The owner yelled a lot. But I learned a lot!!! I was the only member of the crew that hanged on year after year until 9 years later I bought my first boat! A C&C 30 mk1. I've owned 3 C&C's over the years. The last one was a 40' Landfall...and yes Jeff they make good cruisers!!!But one big problem the rigging!!! I am looking for a 33'-38' fractional rigged boat for saling the North Channel (Lake Huron) and when I retire (in 5 years) to take her down to the Caribbean where I plan to sail 6 mths(liveaboard) per year.I have sailed single handed to the Carib. before. My crew right now is 2 (myself & my wife ..who isn't an experience sailor yet)so motion comfort is a factor.Oh and my budget is about $50-60k us!
Besides having a fractional rig the boat must be either a centreboard or shoal draft...max5' draft...would prefer less. Also the boat must be a good performer in a variety of wind/sea conditions. Any suggestions or recommendations folks???? I prefer not to have a cored boat but I do like the Tartans.. Please don't mention the words Hunter or Catalina!!!!! Jeff whats your view?
cheers, allan
allan C&C less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2006, 06:09   #2

Hey folks!! Please suggest some boats!

Ahoy out there!

Please reply with your choice of bluewater boat 33' to 38'. I welcome your advice!!!!

Budget $50,000us to $65,000us

Must perform well in various weather conditions.

Allan
Old 16-02-2006, 07:56   #3

Boat: '67 Cal 20, Aurora and "73 Rival 34, Southern Rival
Your description seems to be describing a Tartan 37 with a centerboard, but finding one in that price range might be a trick. Two sold in our area last year, but they both had fixed, deeper keels.

That said, I'm reading the book "The Oceans Are Waiting" by Sharon Ragle about a circumnavigation on a Tartan 37 with centerboard (named Tigger). I've heard that they actually glassed the centerboard in the up position at some point, but I haven't made it that far in the book yet.

The interior layout of the Tartan 37 seems really nice, and the performance seems good. Like others on this board, you may find that finding a suitable boat in the 50-60k range may be hard, unless you have time and money for significant refit afterwards. I'd be tempted by a Camper Nicoloson or a Southern Cross in that price range. Maybe a Niagara 35. Overall, though, finding a centerboard or shoal option might be tough.
Old 16-02-2006, 15:18   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
I think your budget is a tad low if not unrealistic. It won't be in the 38 ft end of your requirement I think that is for sure. It might be 33 or 34 ft.

In that price range the boat will need some work and some essential outfitting driving the price up. I don't think you'll get past that problem. I think what you are looking for is correct just the budget is difficult. You'll need to look at a lot of boats to find one priced right. I would think you'll be in the category of a shorter significant displacement boat with a rig / engine in good condition.

Long distance crusing / live aboard is alot about enough displacement to carry all your stuff. Extra tankage seems required as well. You may be into the price range of boats more than 20 years old making some of the problems potentially expensive. Staying closer to home might cut the budget enough to make it possible.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2006, 19:33   #5

Thanks Jim for the response!

Thanks for your advise....
I have sailed a Niagara ( hey they come from here..Ontario..Canada) They are great boats. Stable, good in the ruff stuff too! Kinda of slow tho especially in light winds and more $ than a similar C&C.... I prefer the C&C 35 Landfall!
But you may have noticed I am somewhat bias! As for $$$$. There are lots of C&C's here selling for 50k+-(US$). Also I can buy a Tartan 37- 1982 model in great shape for $55k. Also a Pearson 34 or 35 for less They aren't my first choice...but!!!! Also there is a C&C 35 Landfall and C&C37 which I am still checking out! As well as a Moody, Caliber, and Bristol.
Will keep everyone posted!!!
Cheers, Allan
Old 16-02-2006, 19:46   #6

Hey Paul!

Your right on Paul!
It will take me a lot of carefull searching and negotiating to get the boat that suits my needs. But thats OK. I got the drive and the time.
We do have a large source of C&C's here which can be bought at a very reasonable price. Actually cheaper to buy in the upper NE States than here because in Canada...and more so in Ontario they are highly sought after. The tankage on C&C Landfall models are very large. But even tho I maybe biased something is drawing me towards a Tartan 37. Since I have been at the helm for a long time retro-fitting is no problem for me and I prefer the 20+ year old boats to the newer floating condos. They were designed to be sailed not moored!
Man I sound so old for 53! LOL

Shiver me timbers, Allan
Old 17-02-2006, 03:09   #7

Boat: C&C 30 MkII
Hi Allan,
Newbie to this forum. I sail out of Kingston Ontario though moving my boat to Montreal this spring. I`ve noticed your posts regarding your interest in a boat purchase. On Yachtworld, there is a beautiful 1983 C&C 40 with a dark green hull out of Chicago for $68K Canadian if you can live with 7 feet of draft. I`ve noticed this boat on Yachtworld for quite some time now, the pics certainly do it justice. There appears to be no shortage storage, more so than a 37 I`m sure.

Allan
Drumroll
1988 C&C 30 Mk II
Drumroll30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2006, 23:59   #8

Since you like C&Cs, how about this one in New Jersey?

http://yachtworld.com/core/listing/p...53&slim=quick&
Amac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2006, 09:56   #9

Boat: '67 Cal 20, Aurora and "73 Rival 34, Southern Rival
Re: Thanks Jim for the response!

Quote:
allan C&C less once whispered in the wind:
I prefer the C&C 35 Landfall!
I was on a C&C 35 Landfall not long ago, and I liked the overall size, but it had the "bachelor pad" interior (no forward cabin). I loved the ads for this boat, showing couples doing romantic things in the big forward cabin, lots of wine, etc, 70s hair styles... Hmmm. For those of us with two kids who love V berths, I don't think we could get away with it. For a cruising couple, however...

The 35 is still available here:

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...hesailinglife&

Another boat we saw and was surprised by was a Newport C&C 41 Red Line. Now, this boat was only designed by C&C, and Newport doesn't have the highest ratings for build quality, but the boat was impressive overall. It struck me as a very manageable 41 footer that had seen some good cruising. It's still here:

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...hesailinglife&
Old 18-02-2006, 17:38   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Well priced...

That 41 seems to be well priced.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2006, 22:03   #11

Ohhh yes!!

The C&C sailboats are always rather pricey. Due to their build, and condition!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2006, 06:24   #12

For everyones info!!!!

Hey just to let you people know....even tho I really like C&C's my next boat won't be one.
As far as draft goes ...no more than 5 feet....leaning towards a centerboard and size 32-38 feet.
Something easliy handled by a crew of 2! Must be a fractional rig too.

Tartan 37 looks good! But still searching!

Any other sggestions guys?????

Thanks, Allan