Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2014, 10:31   #16

Re: Looking for feedback / input

Things you should have and to consider:
Solar panels and/or a wind generator, a decent battery bank, and a wind vane.
Single-handers nap in the cockpit when underway, the cockpit seats must comfortably accommodate your body size. Your cockpit *will* need shelter and canvas is surprisingly expensive.
Horse power is important in the PNW, which has substantial currents, and in the tropics where you may have to claw off lee shores during storms, and dodge T-storms.
Anchoring is a big part of cruising, and for most boats chain locker access means trips crawling across the V-berth.
Whether the tanks are under the berths and seats or in the bilge determines how much storage you will have.
Beware, very, about metal tanks, avoid metal holding tanks period. Aluminum tanks have a 15 year lifespan - yes you will see older ones that appear ok, but aluminum tanks have a 15 year lifespan - use that as a price negotiating point and plan to renew the tank/s at some point.
Although others may disagree, I consider granny bars a requirement for going offshore.

You got some great advice about the three boats from everybody so far, a few things I can add to help you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace_Seeker View Post
I am very much an adventurer
I am too, as is my last husband (he is a wilderness guide), and none of those boats is suitable for an adventurous person and their lifestyle, *especially* the Herreshoff - that boat is a showboat not a cruising boat - you would spend more time varnishing than sailing.

The Bombay Clipper has a lot of beam for such a small boat, which combined with the outboard shrouds means it will not point into the wind well. Add the shallow draft and voila, a boat that will not go windward at all because there isn't enough keel to stop the boat from slipping backwards.

Another problem with that boat is the big, flat transom - following seas will shove it all over the place. A boat that sucks no matter which direction you try to sail! It really is a motor sailer. Those davits are seriously inadequate for going offshore. Substantial davits are expensive, but even if you can afford them it is better to keep the dink on the foredeck so the transom can have a windvane.

An average wave can stove in the big windows and glass doors on Karelia - a glaring testament that you have no idea what you need or must avoid for a cruising boat; I second the advice of Terra Nova - for now spend your time learning, not boat shopping.

Another blunt reply, sorry about that.
ShipShape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 21:17   #17

Boat: Vindo 50 - 36'

I will be living aboard full time. My intended cruising grounds will at some point be the Caribbean but I would like to discover more. Temperatures no matter how extreme will not be an issue. I have lived in all environments for lengths at a time and I am good at adapting. I have put away 5k of my budget for a watermaker. I have done a fair amount of research on manual and powered. Installation will be done by me. I am very mechanically inclined. I have built 2 showcars and 3 motorcycles from the bottom up. I can weld, make just about anything with wood and can macgiver on the fly. I understand gas and diesel engines and would have no problem tearing one down and putting it back together. As far as refrigeration goes I have purchased one of these. Delivery is October. https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/a...ezer-warmer--2

It is clear I am approaching this the wrong way. Your responses are invaluable. The last thing I want to do is hop in a boat and kill myself. I will continue to read and research and when I reach the coast I will be enrolling in some courses. Thank you again everybody for your comments and your bluntness . More questions to come.
Best regards,
Tony
Peace_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 22:03   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace_Seeker View Post
As far as refrigeration goes I have purchased one of these. Delivery is October. https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/a...ezer-warmer--2
That project was discusses at length on another thread. The consensus, which I agree with, is that it's dubious to say the least.

You will notice that it is long on hype, but very short on technical details.

All we can say for sure is that it is very low powered and has poor insulation.

If the integral battery can be charge in .2 hours through a 12V car cigarette lighter, or .7 hours through those small solar panels, it certainly doesn't store much energy. Their numbers just don't add up.

The claim of a "Fully hermetic compressor" is hard to believe when you look at the illustrations and the depth of the cooling unit. It is more likely an inefficient peltier unit.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 22:36   #19

Boat: Olson 40

I suggest looking at boats that sold hundreds, if not thousands, of units.

I know this seems so much less adventurous, romantic, idealistic.

For example, consider a Catalina 30.

There are reasons a thousand times as many people bought Catalina 30s rather than any of the three you posted. Take a look at one, they are well debugged, they reflect the experiences of the owners (Catalina is especially good at incorporating actual owner feedback), they sail well, are roomy, easy to work on, good ergonomics, cheap, plentiful. Easy to buy, easy to own, easy to sail, easy to sell.

Consider that you have not actually done this before. You might hate it, as many do. Or you might love it so much you build or buy a much bigger boat, as I am doing now. In either case, being able to easily and quickly sell to again without taking a bath has distinct advantages.
u4ea32 is offline   Reply With Quote