Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 15:50   #46
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
SeaHunter & SeaDuction

You're both onto something. Everybody thinks I am anti CC just because I am pro AC and it is assumed on CF that everybody is in one camp or the other haha.

Look at this photo:

There are actually two cockpits but the CC is called pilothouse because of the house put over it. The photo is of Raven, a sistership of Jedi, but sloop rigged, making this clearly visible without the mizzen blocking the view.

The big difference is that this CC is just as low as the AC. Underneath the footwell are the freezer and fridges, because the engineroom is under the AC. And behind the AC there is as much aft deck as some CCs have.

We have a big aft cabin under the bridge deck that is between the two cockpits. It is big and luxurious enough to be called the VIP cabin. This shows that there are many different options to create comfortable cabins on boats.

Most of he trouble with choosing AC vs CC for cabins comes from the design guidelines that state how many beds there must be. More is better. The Sundeer design does not follow that principle and two possible cabins were replaced by engine room and forward sail storage, resulting in 3 cabins that can sleep 6 on a 64' boat. I have seen 40' boats that can sleep 8. The "market" wants more cabins, no engine rooms.

ciao!
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 16:27   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Re: Looking for Center Cockpit 40-50 ft Sloop or Cutter Rigged

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Most of he trouble with choosing AC vs CC for cabins comes from the design guidelines that state how many beds there must be. More is better. The Sundeer design does not follow that principle and two possible cabins were replaced by engine room and forward sail storage, resulting in 3 cabins that can sleep 6 on a 64' boat. I have seen 40' boats that can sleep 8. The "market" wants more cabins, no engine rooms.

ciao!
Nick.
Carp. Now you have me wading in, again, Nick! Our 47 has only 2 cabins. Our guest cabin has a queen bed, it's own settee, and a separate head and shower - the shower is tiled. Obviously, guests love it.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 16:37   #48

I really don't want more than 4 on our boat, (even if our boat was bigger). We can sleep 8, 6 is better, 4 is comfortable, 2 is best. We have 2 cabins with queens and 2 heads, plus the salon and the CC. The closest boat to ours (an IP460) which has 3 cabins in closed to the same length. What can I say, we like the room our CC offers.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 17:18   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep

Carp. Now you have me wading in, again, Nick! Our 47 has only 2 cabins. Our guest cabin has a queen bed, it's own settee, and a separate head and shower - the shower is tiled. Obviously, guests love it.
Okay, so here we have an example at 47'. I have never been on a Macintosh 47; is there a website with good photo's?

thanks,
Nick.

Old 10-01-2012, 17:27   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Okay, so here we have an example at 47'. I have never been on a Macintosh 47; is there a website with good photo's?

thanks,
Nick.
Yes. They only built 16. Ours was one of the last, and they newer ones were a bit different than the originals, as production progressed. This is actually our boat, and a layout is included:

MACINTOSH 47 sailboat on sailboatdata.com

This is our owner's website: McIntosh 47 Yachts - Fast cruising yachts for discerning owners

Pictures of our boat are 11-19 and 36-40.

Our boat tips the scales closer to 40,000 lbs...
Old 10-01-2012, 17:45   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes, the layout is very similar to our boat. Our interior is under 40', the rest is engine room and sail locker.

ciao!
Nick.

Old 10-01-2012, 17:55   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes, Nick, every time I see your boat, I think "I'd love a ride on that thing!". I've looked it up more than once.
Old 09-02-2012, 18:11   #53

Boat: Amel Santorin 46ft
Can I throw in my tuppence worth, an Amel Santorin 46 cc ketch or sloop, it has 4 water tight and fills all the requirements. It has a bow thruster as standard, so parking is easy. It's one of only a few boats that are designed for a couple. Our 1992 Santorin
joemac4sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 18:20   #54

Boat: Amel Santorin 46ft
Sorry sent to soon. Our boat is a 92 Santorin if I had a choice of a new boat it would be a Amel super maramu another centre cockpit.
Regards Joe
joemac4sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 17:54   #55

Boat: Beneteau 235

Don`t forget the Irwin 43,the perfect cruising boat for coastal and Island cruising.
Richard
50gulfstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 18:56   #56

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

If you're looking for a 'blast from the past', a well maintained Transpac 49 might be worth a look. We lived aboard one for 5 years cruised the left coast, spent a year in Mexico and generally enjoyed ourselves. Very sound CC but was a ketch rig which we found easy to double hand even in a blow. I singlehanded her around the Sea of Cortez while my wife was away due to a death in the family and had no problems but didn't run into any really bad weather alone. She made a great retirement platform until health forced us in to a (gasp) powerboat. Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 07:39   #57

Boat: Boatless
We are currently considering an Amel Mango, for lice-aboard and bluewater cruising. My only concern is the position of the helm, which is on most other Amels a bit special.

Does anyone have any experience in sailing an Amel? Is the (not-so-good) viewing from the helm an issue when cruising?

And what is it with the special Amel type spinaker-poles. I am told that there is a special head-sail to be used instead of a spinaker, I think it sounded a litle strange. Can anyone explain?

And last, have you heard of any particular osmosis-problems with Amels?

Regards
BentP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 07:50   #58
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentP View Post
We are currently considering an Amel Mango, for lice-aboard and bluewater cruising. My only concern is the position of the helm, which is on most other Amels a bit special.

I hope that was a typo
Old 26-02-2012, 08:10   #59

Boat: Boatless
You guessed it...

C and V are right beside each other on this stupid keypad :0)
BentP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 08:43   #60

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabezonBD View Post
Two main reasons......1) They tend to have larger aft master staterooms. I have seen the master stateroom in the bow and it is no fun in big water. 2) I fish, I am very passionate about fishing and a center cockpit usually has a great after deck for fishing. I have fished from an aft cockpit, it is do able, but I look at the center cockpits with nice stern area platforms that are ideal to fight and land fish.

Now to be honest.....I have never sailed or fished a center cockpit, but I have the vision.

What are some of the down sides of a center cockpit? I would think that they have more windage, not sure what the other trade offs are though.
For typical coastal cruising use (which is what most cruisers actually do...I think the perception of the need for a true "blue water" boat for typical cruising use is WAY over estimated), I think it is hard to beat a center cockpit. Not only do you get a nice aft cabin, but you get lots of usable aft deckspace for fishing, sunning, hanging-out, happy hour with a few guests -- most cruisers do a lot of more of this than they do true offshore work (being out of sight of land for 24 hours is not really "offshore" -- this term is way overused).

Also, engine room access is much better...another place you will be spending a lot of time.

As pointed out, the steering is more complex. And, emergency tiller extension access is generally poor. So, it would be worthwhile to improve upon this a bit -- like with a totally independent auto-helm drive system.

I have done a lot of fishing from both center cockpit monos and from aft cockpit monos. Way better with that aft deck space, more room to play the fish, land the fish, clean it, and cook it (all the above are much more inconvenient on a typical mid-sized aft-cockpit mono).

...almost as good as fishing from a cat!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	King Mack Belize.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	257.3 KB
ID:	38009  
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
center cockpit, cockpit, cutter, sloop