Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2015, 14:53   #1

Boat: In the market
Looking for advice

hi. My wife and I are future cruisers from Vancouver Canada. We're both 42 with no kids. We both traveled extensively in our twenties but got sucked into rat race. We're now selling our house and everything we own and planning on becoming full time cruisers. Our plan is to go to Caribbean to buy a boat and stay down there cruising getting experience for future possible world wide adventures. I've been looking at some ex charter yachts 2005-2009 beneteau 343 ,361,43. Etc. I've heard pros and con to ex charter. My first question is what would we a good yacht for a couple to live on full time and potential world wide adventures. Budget 50000-100000.
Andrewmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 15:10   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Looking for advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewmac View Post
hi. My wife and I are future cruisers from Vancouver Canada. We're both 42 with no kids. We both traveled extensively in our twenties but got sucked into rat race. We're now selling our house and everything we own and planning on becoming full time cruisers. Our plan is to go to Caribbean to buy a boat and stay down there cruising getting experience for future possible world wide adventures. I've been looking at some ex charter yachts 2005-2009 beneteau 343 ,361,43. Etc. I've heard pros and con to ex charter. My first question is what would we a good yacht for a couple to live on full time and potential world wide adventures. Budget 50000-100000.
Howdy and Welcome Aboard CF Andrew

This is your first post on the forum. You asked a "classic" question that often gets asked here. There are MANY different answers to this all important question.

But, I think the BEST way to approach this is NOT to just post some list of boats, but rather to post a few questions for you and then a bigger more important suggestion. This is my way of helping you the best way I think possible, given the little we know about you so far.

You posted some good info in your intro. But, I think it also leaves some unanswered questions that can really matter.

Questions for You:
1. What is your level of experience sailing big boats? This question is for both of you.

2. What kind of sailing knowledge do you have so far? Taken any courses? This question is for both of you.

B]Quick Comments in Response to Your Introduction: [/B]

According to your introduction post, it appears you have very limited to no sailing experience at this point (if I am wrong about that, feel free to correct that or edit post a correction here to prevent others from thinking that). IF so, that is OK, as we all start that way.

I advise you spend some time getting aboard as many boats as possible to see what you find most comfortable and fitting your desire or comfort level to "live aboard." Leave the "cross the oceans" issues till later, after you know how to sail and what you really need for water sailing">blue water sailing.

Put another way, and very simply: Learn Boats and Sailing Before Buying a Big Boat.

If you have a boat budget of "up to $100K" you will have a LOT of potential boats (a very broad scope) to consider. So, it is best to learn what you like first and what you really need, based on getting ON boats (even at docks) so you can get a feel for the space and layout. You may think you are already at this point, but I suspect not.

Put another way, there are just TOO MANY possibilities with such a broad scope. You need to get some experience (sitting and standing and sailing) on a variety of boats (yourself) before anyone can help you narrow the field significantly and to get the best fit for you.

Which boat to buy for…?

There have been threads posted on the forum discussing many topics at length, with differing opinions. But quickly finding the right thread and the right answer could take a while, if one just browses the forum.

Looking for Quick Answers?

This is the best and fastest method I have found to the answers I seek here.
Since you are relatively new to the forum, here is my favorite friendly forum search tip: Look at the green menu bar on the forum pages for the drop down "Search" menu. Click on that to drop down a list of search functions. From that drop down menu select the GOOGLE CUSTOM search feature (the second box down) and then enter several different descriptive terms for your topic of interest. That will do a Custom google search of ONLY this site and it is likely to find answers to your questions or results for you. Note: this is different from using the regular forum search box or field. Also note, this is NOT found if you use the CF app. It IS found if you use a web browser such as Safari, etc.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 15:12   #3

Boat: OEM, proportional

G'day Mr & Mrs Mac, welcome aboard!

Buying the boat is one thing, refurb and refit will eat up a bunch more, and you need to consider the cruising kitty and income/lack thereof as well.

Be prepared for a lot of searching, reading, and sifting.

The best way to search the forum (any forum.....) is via an external search engine, eg:

https://www.startpage.com/uk/advanced-search.html?hmb=1

Paste Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Powered by vBulletin into the "At this domain name" field.

May your determination never flag, and your humour never fail!
Old 14-08-2015, 15:14   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Tricky as everyone has a different opinion and your opinions will change as you gain experience. I suggest a main stream yacht from one of the larger builders is likely to have a good support and user knowledge which could be invaluable.

Also if you change your mind and you probably will it will be easier to sell.

Do consider chartering a couple of likely yachts before buying to "test the water".

For a couple of people 35-45 mono or slightly smaller cat would be generic advice on this forum which would be well worth spending a few evenings searching and reading.

Good luck.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 16:11   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

I like those older US boats like Tartans etc. They seem inexpensive and repairable. So to say I would buy a sturdy and less expensive older boat and keep the change towards my cruising adventures.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 16:23   #6

Are you boaters at all? It doesn't really sound like it. Sounds like a bit of a steep learning curve, just buying a boat in the Caribbean with out any kind of ramp up. Do you know if you even enjoy spending a few days out on a boat? I might start out with that.

Take $2000 of your $100 000 and buy a little 22 or 25 footer, do some sailing, spend some time at anchor. Spend some time cursing the SOB who installed your engine in such a hot dirty place while your wife passes you tools and pukes in the sink.

You should have no problem buying a cruising boat for the remaining $98000.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 17:40   #7

Common sense left us a while ago. Quit good job in fit of rage. Sold house and vehicles tools etc. soon to be homeless. Apreciate wise advice. But this is happening soon. Thinking maybe drive to Florida. Set up a tent and start looking.
Old 14-08-2015, 17:59   #8

That's pretty hardcore. I left a job that was seriously pissing me off to move onto a boat and spend a couple of years floating around and partying, about 5 years ago now but it wasn't a good job, didn't have a house, kept my pension and I knew I liked sailing.

Well if straight up boat buying advice is what you seek my advice would be to aim to spend closer to the lower end of your budget, well below if you can. Boat ownership and floating around partying is expensive.

You mentioned you'd be willing to go into the low 30's length wise. You can get a nice old 30' for $20-30k. There was a boat for sale around me, late 80's/early 90s hunter 40, 3 cabins, great live aboard, in nice condition $39000 Canadian. If you'd spent $10k on a few things, anchoring gear, new electronics maybe, maybe a couple solar panels. Would have made a nice cruiser.

When it comes to burning through your doe, size will be your biggest enemy, get as small a boat as you will be happy with. My first couple years living aboard were on a 30' it was fantastic.

Then I moved up to a 35' I frequently miss how easy it was to do everything on the smaller boat. I don't ever see myself going above 35', especially now that I have a job a house and a wife again.

The other thing that will kill your budget is spending to much early on, is on purchase.

So there's my boat buying advice, keep it small, keep it cheap. There are way too many models in that size range for me to recommend one without knowing what kind of sailing you like.

Old 14-08-2015, 18:05   #9

Spent last 10 years trying to fix up old house. Not really into fixing up old boat. Repairs maintenance installs no problem. But not looking for project.
Old 14-08-2015, 18:14   #10

I'm not talking about project boats. I'm talking about good serviceable cruisers. Given that you have no navigation skills you're going to want to upgrade the electronics on even a fairly new boat. Same thing with an anchor, the production boats you rhymed off aren't going to have decent anchoring gear. You're getting off the hook pretty light if you only have to drop $10k on fitting out any boat.

Old 14-08-2015, 19:18   #11

Can anyone recommend some models of sailboats with good reputation under 10 years old around 35-40 ft for 2 people to live on and cruise with. Been reading googling looking around boat shows etc. hard to ask advice from salesmen. There usually a little biased.
Old 14-08-2015, 19:24   #12

I'm really not looking for financial advice just some suggestions of reputable makes and models I can check out and narrow my search
Old 14-08-2015, 19:33   #13
Marine Service Provider

As others have said--this forum has been presented with similar questions many times before. Answers are quite often the same...get a smaller boat to start with and get to know what you like. Don't just narrow your focus by length or price. Don't start throwing out names and makes of boats to the forum. That's missing the point. There are many ways to make this happen. My advice? Get on other boats and sail them. Take lessons. Beware of the trap of listening to a hundred opinions...that's my opinion... sigh....
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 19:36   #14
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewmac View Post
Can anyone recommend some models of sailboats with good reputation under 10 years old around 35-40 ft for 2 people to live on and cruise with. Been reading googling looking around boat shows etc. hard to ask advice from salesmen. There usually a little biased.
Hi.

You seem to want a very simple answer.

Here is a very simple solution:

Find the location where you want to go live (e.g. Miami, St. Thomas, Grenada) and then contact the local boat brokers. Tell them you are looking for a "Buyers Broker" to assist you in locating a good boat.

A buyers broker is like one in real estate. They are paid BY YOU to help you negotiate and get what you want. They should work FOR YOU and not for the seller of the boat (which is what typical brokers do).

Tell them you have $50K burning a hole in your pocket. Tell them you have the cash and want to buy a the best boat you can for that budget. Let them steer you to what is available.

Then, take an additional $10K - $20K and put it aside for contingencies like repairs and refit. You won't know what you need to do to the boat until you have it surveyed and till you own it a few months or a year. Save that money to make those fixes.

This is not exactly how I would do it, but then we are different.

You sound like you are in a hurry and it sounds like you don't have much or any experience with boats. So, HIRING a Buyers Broker would be a smart investment because they are hired to help YOU and to guide you to boats etc.

Good luck.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 20:42   #15

Thanks all the advice. Maybe I'll try again after I've bought a boat and lived on it for few years circled the globe a couple times.