Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2015, 13:08   #1

Looking for a live aboard boat 38' to 44'

Hi everyone,

This is my second post here and I'm very early in my sailing education and research. I am looking for a sailboat to live aboard and primarily sail around the British Columbia coastline - though one day I'd like to sail it to Panama (10 years away). For cruising in BC, I will likely sail single-handed.

I'm still doing a lot of reading, but I have narrowed down my requirements, and I'd like to hear any suggestions on what Water boats">blue water boats I should be looking at. Here is a rough idea of what I want:

Under $100K
masthead rigged cutter
roller furling main and jib
self tailing winches
auto tack
bow thruster
autopilot
windlass with both foot switches and cockpit switch so I can drop and raise the anchor from the cockpit
slab reefing full batt main with a dutchmen
lines leading aft
tiller lock

Easy to dock
Easy to control under power

Being a liveaboard, I would of course like something as nice inside as possible.

I'm not sure how many of my requirements are easily setup on any sailboat I may buy. Honestly, I've seen a lot of boats that I like, many under $50K - but with my limited understanding its still hard to know what differentiates some $50K boats and some $100K boats.

I'm sure questions like this pop up often (I've read quite a few) - but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
g-cubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2015, 13:58   #2

Re: Looking for a live aboard boat 38' to 44'

I just wanted to add - the sailboat which, for one reason or another, I seem to like is a Tayana 37. Would it be possible to get a Tayana 37 in seaworthy condition that meets my above requirements (including price)?
Old 22-05-2015, 16:47   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-cubed View Post
Hi everyone,

This is my second post here and I'm very early in my sailing education and research. I am looking for a sailboat to live aboard and primarily sail around the British Columbia coastline - though one day I'd like to sail it to Panama (10 years away). For cruising in BC, I will likely sail single-handed.

I'm still doing a lot of reading, but I have narrowed down my requirements, and I'd like to hear any suggestions on what blue water boats I should be looking at. Here is a rough idea of what I want:

Under $100K
masthead rigged cutter
self tailing winches
auto tack
bow thruster
autopilot
windlass with both foot switches and cockpit switch so I can drop and raise the anchor from the cockpit
lines leading aft
tiller lock

Easy to dock

Being a liveaboard, I would of course like something as nice inside as possible.

I'm not sure how many of my requirements are easily setup on any sailboat I may buy. Honestly, I've seen a lot of boats that I like, many under $50K - but with my limited understanding its still hard to know what differentiates some $50K boats and some $100K boats.

I'm sure questions like this pop up often (I've read quite a few) - but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Howdy and Welcome to the Forum (and posting).

Everything that follows is written in a friendly tone of voice with the sole intent to help you.

A few quick comments. See the above two items I bolded. Incompatible, you will need to choose one or the other as the main will either roll up (roller furling main) or have full battens and be lowered to the boom to reef it. Battens don't roll up in a mast (the most common type of roller furling main). Of course there is the rare "roller furling boom" but they are rare and expensive to add to the boat.

Your budget is enough to get a very nice used boat.

Getting an older smaller boat with a bow thruster on it is less likely. You might have to add that yourself and the cost can be "expensive."

Which boat to buy for…?

There have been threads posted on the forum discussing many topics at length, with differing opinions. But quickly finding the right thread and the right answer could take a while, if one just browses the forum.

Since you are relatively new to the forum, here is my favorite friendly forum search tip: Look at the green menu bar on the forum pages for the drop down "Search" menu. Click on that to drop down a list of search functions. From that drop down menu select the GOOGLE CUSTOM search feature (the second box down) and then enter several different descriptive terms for your topic of interest. That will do a Custom google search of ONLY this site and it is likely to find answers to your questions or results for you. It is the best and fastest method I have found to the answers I seek here.

Some good topics to search for:

Recent thread about "Liveaboard in Pacific Northwest (or PNW)" in comfort (yeah!):

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rt-145061.html

IF I were going to live where it is colder than Texas, I would want a nice heater. Look for that thread above, as options were discussed.

I saw a really nice interior on a Tayana 37 that was for sale in the Great Lakes area last year. Very nice and comfy looking space.

Good luck and have fun sailing!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2015, 18:11   #4

Thanks a lot Steady Hand,

Thanks for pointing out the conflicting setups - between the two I like the roller furling and it seems easy enough to deploy. I'll read more about the advantages/disadvantages.
Old 22-05-2015, 18:30   #5

Boat: Westsail 28

Although this boat is a ketch , I think it would make a nice live aboard ISLANDER FREEPORT 41 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
Here is one more .http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=2257
Here is a tiller boat you might find interesting .http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=2127
I just ran across this , I'm not connected with this boat . Check the wood burning stove ! http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1978...s#.VV_bq09Viko
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2015, 18:53   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You asked in your intro:
"I've seen a lot of boats that I like, many under $50K - but with my limited understanding its still hard to know what differentiates some $50K boats and some $100K boats."

My view?
I think most of those difference in asking price, IF you are looking at the same MAKE and MODEL of a boat (e.g. Tayana 37) will be the result of different:

1. Condition of the two boats
Recent refit on one boat?
No recent refit on the other?
Significant deterioration on one boat (soft decks, blisters, bad engine, inside flooding)

2. Expectations of the seller (realistic or unrealistic)

3. Location
Is the boat unusual for its location?
Is the boat common in the selling location?
Is the boat far away from most buyers (e.g. located in Panama or Mexico or Tahiti or Nebraska)?

4. The Seller's Current Economic Condition
Is the seller desperate to sell "a second boat?"
Did the seller lose his job or get transferred or move far away?
Is the boat being sold because of divorce or death in the family?

5. Is there some "hidden" flaw in the lower priced boat?

Here are some more suggestions for reading (free info):

There have been many discussions on this forum about the topic of "Blue Water boats."
The following link will take you to a custom search page with many different threads you could read and those have hundreds if not thousands of comments on the topic.

A Google Custom Search of this site:
blue water bluewater - Google Search

A Google Custom Search of this site:
blue water bluewater - Google Search

TIP 3: A good place to start learning something about classic boats (mostly older boats from the 1970s and 1980s, so lower priced now as used boats) that are popular in the US waters is a website focused on "Bluewater Boats." Sailboat Reviews of Offshore Cruising Yachts : Bluewaterboats.org

Sailboat Reviews of Offshore Cruising Yachts : Bluewaterboats.org

Good luck on your search, research, and making you dreams come true. 
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 08:28   #7

Boat: Morgan, Out Island 36, Ketch

If you live in the NW/Puget sound l might be able to help you get a better feel for what you are looking for. You are asking for a lot that is nice but not necessary and makes the boat more expensive.
Olde Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 08:49   #8

So glad you asked this because I'm thinking the same except I prefer the Atlantic (less radiation ), and my price range is more like $50,000. Max but I love the live aboard idea and I hope we both find something! All the best!
1churchmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 09:54   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Chief View Post
If you live in the NW/Puget sound l might be able to help you get a better feel for what you are looking for. You are asking for a lot that is nice but not necessary and makes the boat more expensive.
Thanks Olde Chief - My list has primarily been made up of things that came up when reading about single-handed sailing. Obviously, I'm new to the lifestyle, I'm also not a racer, for me I want comfort, cruising and quiet (except not a trawler...there is a sense of freedom I want from a sailing vessel). So I tried to include every "nicety" I could find to make single-sanded sailing as easy as possible.

I'm willing (and expect) to be putting money into any boat I purchase in upgrades. I'm hoping that I'll find the boat I want for under 100K (a well maintained boat that ideally fits my rigging, size, layout, power and aesthetic requirements). I expect that it may require upgraded electronics, appliances, solar, communications, etc.

If you could be more specific on what you think might be un-needed it would help prioritizing. Bow-thrusters is more of a wish, it seems uncommon in this size of boat.

Thank you very much for the offer to visit - I will see how things go and may take you up on it! (I'm still in Toronto at the moment)
Old 23-05-2015, 10:34   #10

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 51.1

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I'm still doing a lot of reading, but I have narrowed down my requirements, and I'd like to hear any suggestions on what blue water boats I should be looking at. Here is a rough idea of what I want:

Under $100K
masthead rigged cutter
self tailing winches
auto tack
bow thruster
autopilot
lines leading aft
tiller lock

Easy to dock

Thanks!
Cutters cannot auto-tack, so you're actually looking for a typical sloop. Nothing is easier to sail. Now, you could rig an autotacking jib inside a roller furling Genoa, and just not use the Genoa when you're auto tacking, but you'll still have to heave the Genoa around manually whenever its in use.

Also, roller-furling main is the opposite of a slab-reefing main. I strongly recommend roller furling if you're not looking for the last ounce of performance out of a boat. It's much easier and safer considering that they can be reefed without going on deck and after the winds have kicked up. Reefing after you already should have can be dangerous on a traditional main.

Most keelboats are very easy to control while docking with just a little practice. I personally find bow-thrusters to be unnecessary unless you're routinely dealing with a strange cross-current situation. You certainly want to know how to dock a boat without them in case something goes wrong.

Your budget is enough to get what you want, so don't settle. The price differences come mostly down to age and condition. You shouldn't need to go any older than ten years at that price point to get exactly what you want. Roller furling mains are relatively new, so be aware that there won't be a lot of classic boats out there with them.

Good luck in your search and keep us posted!
mstrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 10:48   #11

Thanks so much, that was a very uplifting post!

How much could I expect to pay to add a roller-furling main to an older boat if need-be (for me performance isn't the primary driver - should I make this a must in any boat I buy)?

I have been looking mainly at boats a bit older than what you mentioned, I'll look more at post Y2K boats. One thing I've noticed I'm not seeing as often on newer boats is any teak on the deck (or very limited teak). I know I'm asking for trouble, but are there newer boats that still have teak on deck and in the cockpit (in addition to down below)?
Old 23-05-2015, 12:15   #12

Quote:
I just wanted to add - the sailboat which, for one reason or another, I seem to like is a Tayana 37. Would it be possible to get a Tayana 37 in seaworthy condition that meets my above requirements (including price)?
I sold mine 12 years ago after refit. New electrical, solar panels, wind generator, 6 gel batteries, smart charger, heart interface, new s/s all around, new maxwell anchor windless, new sonar, watermaker, radar, sea 442 radio (great), refrigeration, o/b motor hoist, monitor self steering,profurl self furlers (2), new rigging, new bimini, and more , sold for only $37500 in Brisbane Au as I had med problems and could not return for a couple of years.
Mine was a Nan-tai 37 by Bob Perry, almost identical to Tayana except for not having canoe stern and was cutter rigged. Did 19000 miles, half solo and boat handles well in all weather but was slow. I would recommend b ut the teak deck was a lot of work. Hope this helps.:
icemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 12:28   #13

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 51.1

Roller fueling is not a necessity, it's a big convenience. Adding it would require replacing the mast and rigging completely, and wouldn't be worth the effort. I'd just add lazy jacks and a sail-pack to a traditional main boat, they're pretty convenient as well.

You can actually add teak overpayment to any boat if you want to do the work. It's laborious but doesn't require much skill or special tools. It's also not something I would make a requirement.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
mstrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 14:30   #14

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

Having lived in Oakville/Toronto for many years and sailed the great lakes extensively I never found the need for an installed heater. When I worked on the boat during winter I had a couple of small ceramic heaters on shore power. Ultimately cruising the Caribbean for 6 years I gave the heaters away and had trouble doing so.
Now in Florida and have ceramic heaters again for those cool evenings and mornings in the marina.
Underway you're dressed and in the cockpit and at anchor you run the engine for battery charging and cook with propane oven/stove that takes the chill off.
Have seen recommendations for heaters numerous times and concluded 'whoever' did not have much cruising experience.
You'll have many other items to spend time and money.
Good Luck.
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 14:42   #15

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

How much could I expect to pay to add a roller-furling main to an older boat if need-be (for me performance isn't the primary driver - should I make this a must in any boat I buy)?

I sailed 3500 miles from Canada to Caribbean essentially single handed in my my Irwin43 without furling main. Nice to have if you've got it, but wouldn't incur expense to install.
With a sail pack, all controls running aft with clutches and winches in the cockpit and cockpit enclosure you will be safe, dry and secure in weather.
I've delivered many vessels without Main Furling.
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote