Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2015, 15:13   #16

Boat: RIVAL 41 Cutter
Re: Looking for a live aboard boat 38' to 44'

If you like the Tayana 37, you would probably love my boat which just went on the market a month ago. It's an offshore cutter with everything including watermaker, liferaft, tender & outboard, wind generater, solar panels, Monitor wind vane, auto pilot, full cockpit enclosure, Garmin 12" charplotter/ radar combo, AIS, almost all new in 2012. Sailed mostly solo. Last passage was almost 1400 miles solo non stop, Panama to Fort Lauderdale in 12 days, all to windward this past November. See the listing on Yachtworld.com, YOUNG SUN 43, listed at 99K.
YARGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 08:27   #17

Boat: Contest 38

I have a 38' Contest for sale which fits all your requirments except that it is a ketch. If you plan on singlehanding a ketch is really a good choice as if it gets really windy you can drop the main and the boat baances really well under Jib and mizzen. I have been the only owner of Gentle Rain II since new (1982) and love her dearly but I have to sell her now. She has had a lot of tender loving care and many $'s spent to keep her in good condition and many 'presents' to make her an ocean going boat.
If you want detalis please email me at captaaincatherine2@yahoo.com
Thank you
Catherine
gentlerain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 06:01   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-cubed View Post
Thanks so much, that was a very uplifting post!

How much could I expect to pay to add a roller-furling main to an older boat if need-be (for me performance isn't the primary driver - should I make this a must in any boat I buy)?

I have been looking mainly at boats a bit older than what you mentioned, I'll look more at post Y2K boats. One thing I've noticed I'm not seeing as often on newer boats is any teak on the deck (or very limited teak). I know I'm asking for trouble, but are there newer boats that still have teak on deck and in the cockpit (in addition to down below)?
I've had a few dicey experiences with roller furling mains sticking at precisely the wrong time. Seriously consider full battened main with single line reefing. Dutchman is ok, but look at a stackpac. Then just practice heaving to and reefing.

You are indeed asking for trouble, or at least alot of work when looking at lots of teak.
Getweh is offline   Reply With Quote