Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2014, 18:27   #1

Looking at two boats Saturday

Hello, the wife and I will be looking at two boats on Saturday. The first is a 1973 Morgan Out Island 36' (on the hard), and the second is a 1977 Morgan OI 33'.

Any one have any opinions on these two, or experience on what to look for?

I mentioned once before, we are looking for a boat with two cabins, as we will live aboard with our ten year old. So I know these wont be winning any races any time soon, or ever..
Moparots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 19:57   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Looking at two boats Saturday

I spent two years cruising the Bahamas and Caribbean on a OI36 so have very fond memories of the boat. In my experience it is hands down the roomiest 36' sailboat every built. I also put a lot of sea miles on the boat, including a really rough winter crossing of the Caribbean and the boat did just fine. Handled big seas well and was very comfortable.

The boat had pretty good speed off the wind but if you want to make any time at all to windward you better be ready to use the engine. The boat will tack reasonably well but just won't point. If I recall I couldn't do any better than about 60 degrees to the wind ourse made good.

Speaking of the engine, pretty good access to all sides but it is under the cockpit so no headroom. I spent a few hours straddling the engine sorting out an annoying cooling problem.

The shoal draft is great for the Bahamas. I could pull into a really crowded harbor and find a great spot to anchor right up next to the beach where the other guys wouldn't fit.

This was almost 40 years ago so some of the details are getting fuzzy by now. I don't recall any structural issues that concerned me. Like any boat this old check for the big issues like deck leaks and wet core, bulkhead tabbing and the hull/deck joint for integrity and leaks.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 20:32   #3

Boat: csy 37

Get the 36. It has an aft cabin for you and the admiral, a v berth for the 10 year old. The 33 has no aft cabin.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 14:38   #4

Well..... we saw both boats today. The 36 is in AWESOME shape for a 40 year old. New everything. I mean everything. The owner spent a ton.

My only complaint, not even a concern really, is the salon seems very small compaired to, even smaller sized boats salons. The 33's was much bigger. I guess ya gotta steal from somewhere to get the space for the aft cabin.

I understand no boat is perfect, as far as what you want in a boat, but I think many of my worries would be relieved, knowing the foundation of the boat is solid.

Now Im gutwrenching on "pulling the trigger" on this boat, and make an offer. Funny, its not just the money, but the commitment of changing your life (style).

Pffft! I need a beer!
Old 01-11-2014, 15:13   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Just for a bit of background, I've lived aboard and extensively cruised Morgan Out Islands for 41 years and chances are the 36' Morgan OI is on the hard about 150' from my current slip.

One of the biggest advantages the 1977 Morgan will have over the 1973 Morgan is that the deck-hull joint is at the toe rail and not at the more vulnerable rub rail; however, if your 1973 36' is the one at Fleming Island, then this rail is without any former damage and should be very sound.

I lived on our Morgan 33' for 13 years until our children were 7 & 9. A couple in the V-berth with your son in the quarter berth could work well, but we put our children in the V-berth and took the quarter berth.

Keep in mind that the galley in the 36' is relatively small. We had a larger Galley (sink & refrig.) in our 33' than is available in the 36'.

60* for pointing?,- you'll get 45* if the wind is up to 15kts.

Overall concerns with the surveying of the older Morgan OI's are as follows: 1) look for a hairline crack where the port-starboard rudder halves meet. There can be water intrusion here and failure. Better boats have had these joints tabbed. 2) Look for corrosion at the mast step where the aluminum mast is set on a steel step. Better boats have had this addressed with a refit. 3) The rubber hull-deck joint is subject to leaks. This is not a problem on the 1977 and if your 36' is at Fleming Island this joint has been refit. Inspect the aluminum back up plate under the stem fitting at the forestay. Some of these show excessive corrosion and some have had damage or separation at this joint. 4) There were many gate valves on these older Morgans. These should have been replaced with proper seacocks or at least quality ball valvesl

Feel free to send me a PM for more specifics. Good luck with your search!
Old 04-11-2014, 06:51   #6

Well, We made an offer and the seller accepted. Banning any problems before closing, we are boat owners.
Thanks Hudson Force, for your imput. We will be knocking on your hull to say hello soon. Craig
Old 04-11-2014, 06:58   #7
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Congrats, good choice to go cruising, or just living aboard.
You are lucky that previous owner took care of the boat, and saved you a ton of
Work and money.
Hopefully all you have to do is buy groceries, then go sailing. :-)
Old 04-11-2014, 07:14   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Congrats on purchase!!!

I predict you will be elated....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:18   #9

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Happy sailing!
Old 04-11-2014, 17:10   #10

Boat: Corbin39

Fair winds......_/)

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Agape39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 17:13   #11

Thanks to all for the well wishes, the deal was good for both seller and buyer. We needed a good, well loved boat and she needed to sell.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:42   #12

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Congratulations!
Old 08-11-2014, 17:46   #13

Thanks again for the well wishes. It's KILLIN me not to go up and see the boat. Our offer was accepted last Monday and Ive had to work all this week (flooring contractor) on a job. I would have gone up today, but I had to get over to my Mom&Dads house in Cocoa Beach, Fl and replace the dock (where the boat will live) Docks all done, yes.... in one day, by myself.

We will finally get a chance to get up to South Jacksonville next Saturday and see the boat again, maybe have it placed in the water, talk to the guys who did ALL the previous work on it, and maybe speak with / meet the previous owner. Oh and hopefully meet "Hudson Force" who is very close to the boat. Craig, Carol, and Killian
Old 08-11-2014, 20:28   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparots View Post
Oh and hopefully meet "Hudson Force" who is very close to the boat. Craig, Carol, and Killian
Moparots, I'll be in San Diego next saturday, but I'll likely catch you some other time. 'hope to be here when you sail away!
Old 09-11-2014, 08:28   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparots View Post
Thanks again for the well wishes. It's KILLIN me not to go up and see the boat. Our offer was accepted last Monday and Ive had to work all this week (flooring contractor) on a job. I would have gone up today, but I had to get over to my Mom&Dads house in Cocoa Beach, Fl and replace the dock (where the boat will live) Docks all done, yes.... in one day, by myself.

We will finally get a chance to get up to South Jacksonville next Saturday and see the boat again, maybe have it placed in the water, talk to the guys who did ALL the previous work on it, and maybe speak with / meet the previous owner. Oh and hopefully meet "Hudson Force" who is very close to the boat. Craig, Carol, and Killian
You get to keep your boat @ your parents dock???

I hate you...

Well... strongly jealous you anyway...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote