Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2012, 18:58   #1

Boat: C&C 34
Looking at a C&C 34 any opinons/grips?

Went and took a look at a 79 C&C 34 earlier today. I would appreciate any C&C input/comments/suggestions anyone would like to share.

My wife and I have been talking about a slightly larger boat for several years and I have always liked the C&C interior layouts. We will use it mostly coastal cruising and summertime vacations with no blue water plans. We just need more room for our growing boys.

Here is what my first impression of the boat:
  • A little rough around the edges, but everything seemed to be there. It does not show any signs of being raced real hard. There is a roller furler on the front which appears to have been there for quite a while and we all know no racer would be caught dead with a roller furling on their boat .
  • The interior cushions smelt a little musty, looked like a "Brady Bunch" set, but were all there and usable.
  • The hull and deck sounded good with the hammer and could not find any soft spots. There are some what appears to be superficial cracks on the deck.
  • The rigging seemed to be in good order. It has a hydraulic back stay adjuster and it still works. I did a deck level inspection, so cant speak for the mast head and spreaders.
  • It has an old raw water cooled Yannmar 2qm20, most likely will be a re-power. I actually have a 20 hp diesel that will fit that boat in my garage ready to go. I really don't mind the re-power, looks pretty straight forward and lots of room to work.
  • The water and holding tanks looked to be in fairly good shape and are plastic.
I am pretty much writing off the electrical system and the motor since they are either used up or factory original.

Again any input positive or negative appreciated. Thanks....
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 05:13   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Looking at a C&C 34 any opinons/grips?

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-34-a-418.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 05:23   #3

Location: I live in Queens but the boat is docked in Brooklyn
Boat: C&C 24

I bought a 1983 C&C 24 two years ago. Althoughit is a smaller boat, I have learned to appreciate its design and construction. It seemsa lotmore solid than someof the mass production boats of that era. There is an independant C&C forum on the internet you ought to checkout.
NY2822PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 08:40   #4

I have always a had a sweet spot for C&Cs. I learned to sail on them and taught on many.

I cannot remember which model of 34 I first chartered. The only specific grip I had was that the main electrical switch was in the quarter berth. If you rolled over the right (wrong) way, you could turn the whole boat off.

Many C&C's leak along the windows and at the mast boot.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 08:45   #5

Boat: 27' Albin Vega - mangomuffins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie91 View Post
Went and took a look at a 79 C&C 34 earlier today. I would appreciate any C&C input/comments/suggestions anyone would like to share.

My wife and I have been talking about a slightly larger boat for several years and I have always liked the C&C interior layouts. We will use it mostly coastal cruising and summertime vacations with no blue water plans. We just need more room for our growing boys.

Here is what my first impression of the boat:
  • A little rough around the edges, but everything seemed to be there. It does not show any signs of being raced real hard. There is a roller furler on the front which appears to have been there for quite a while and we all know no racer would be caught dead with a roller furling on their boat .
  • The interior cushions smelt a little musty, looked like a "Brady Bunch" set, but were all there and usable.
  • The hull and deck sounded good with the hammer and could not find any soft spots. There are some what appears to be superficial cracks on the deck.
  • The rigging seemed to be in good order. It has a hydraulic back stay adjuster and it still works. I did a deck level inspection, so cant speak for the mast head and spreaders.
  • It has an old raw water cooled Yannmar 2qm20, most likely will be a re-power. I actually have a 20 hp diesel that will fit that boat in my garage ready to go. I really don't mind the re-power, looks pretty straight forward and lots of room to work.
  • The water and holding tanks looked to be in fairly good shape and are plastic.
I am pretty much writing off the electrical system and the motor since they are either used up or factory original.

Again any input positive or negative appreciated. Thanks....

"It has an old raw water cooled Yannmar 2qm20, most likely will be a re-power. I actually have a 20 hp diesel that will fit that boat in my garage ready to go. I really don't mind the re-power, looks pretty straight forward and lots of room to work.".... funny

mm
mangomuffins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 09:02   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

What are you waiting for,Your inspection seems to be complete,C&C'S are decent boats and your intended crusing will not put her to the test,I,owned a C&C 36 1978 for 22 years Crusied the Bahamas and saw enough rough Ocean waters to know it ain't going to break.When I,sold it the Surveyor commented he had sailed Twice accross the Atlantic in C&C'S of similuar size and vinatge.bove post relating to windoes is correct,bedding in Buytal rubber tape wil cure that,as far a the mast step good luck.Onlt other issue ia Keel Bolts.I,rebedded my keel and retourqued 22 years ago just for the heck of it,Never had a problem.Good Luck and Have Fun They are Great Sailing Boats.
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 09:34   #7

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Having owned a 33 time ago i can say take a look at all this points in the boat.

1 , hull and deck. C&C core the whole thing from the bottom to up in the deck, mostly done very well, truhulls replacement from previous owners if is not do it properly is a place to check, besides is sounded with a hammer for a surveyor i can probably take the chance with a moisture metter.
2, Keel. This boats are famous for the keel smile at front, any real big gap is something to consider, same for keel bolts.

3. If the chainplates are atached to ply bulkheads another place to take a look,
4. Rigging, most c&c love rod rigging and come from factory with Navtec stuff, cold heads , fittings at the spreaders if is discontinuous setup is a place to look to.

5 . rudder post . check for excesive play at bearings and see if the tabbing at the ruder post is sound.
6 Mast step . most c&c are flat bottom , meaning any water standing close to the mast step is there and bulkheads sometimes are close to this area and moisture take a toll at the bottom bulkheads plus mast step.

Also most c&c fit the bulkheads in pan liners and with time and sailing hard doors dont close properly or there is bulkhead sifting.

If all of this is sound and in good condition Congratulations because is a fantastic boat to sail and with beautifull lines. I love this boats. Good luck.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 09:36   #8

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

General stuff perhaps worth a survey:

Check for detabbing of the bulkheads or the furniture.

Check for the above-mentioned keel bolt issue. A grounding can lead to the "C&C Smile", a crack at the keel/stub join that can prove troublesome.

Check for rot in the stringers and the mast step.

Check for Monel or plastic tanks. Steel tanks won't likely have endured unless well-cared for.

Figure out when the standing rigging was replaced. If original and the boat's been in brackish or salt water, 33 years is way overdue for a replacement.

REALLY check for delamination due to core rot on deck, particularly near the chain plates, the cockpit lockers and the genoa tracks. If one out of eight C&Cs made prior to 1990 possessed dry deck cores never made damp, I would be astounded.

Establish if the through-hulls are the original, dubious gate valves or the proper bronze sea cocks. Try and see under the liner and look for dribbles, and hope to find backing plates instead of "dished" fender washers.

Many people would have done drill and fill, backing plates and minor structural repair in the course of the boat's life. Others would have done the minimum. If the former is the case, and the other stuff has been addressed, then the C&C 34 is an excellent choice for a seaworthy coastal cruiser. The dreaded "That '70s Boat" brown plaid cushions look is the least of your problems and potentially the most easily remedied.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 17:26   #9

Thanks for all the great input!!! I am going to take another look at the boat on Wednesday and will keep everything in mind.

Like I said she is a little rough on the eyes but seems solid.
Old 28-05-2012, 23:54   #10

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

This is not for the OP, but may be useful for others on the same thread.

There is a 34´ for sale in Panama (Pacific side) for $12k. Was $15k, but had engine trouble and now asking $12k.

Send a PM if you want more info..
Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 16:42   #11

Made an offer and it was accepted, now I get to own 2 boats for a while.......
I would like to thank everyone for the input. I printed out all the replies and took them with me. Neilpride & Casual were right on with their remarks.
Everything either looked real good or is not a huge issue for replacement.
The fuel tank was steel and is already in the dumpster. The holding tank and water tank are plastic. The water is in fine shape and the holding tank was brand new.
The deck was solid with a sounding hammer and the moisture meter was in the upper range of dry to the lower range of damp thru out the whole deck and cockpit. The higher areas were as expected near the chain plates and winches.
The hull is solid. No abnormal soundings with the hammer. I was thrown a bit near the keel, but then saw the stringers in the bilge witch lined up with the different soundings. Moisture meter showed in the upper range of dry on the whole hull. There is no smile on the keel. Rudder post was solid and the tabs looked good.
The interior was pretty dirty. All the bulkheads tabs and furniture tabs look good and sounded good with the hammer. The upholstery is probably going in the dumpster.
Motor is coming out next week.
Electrical system was not as bad as I thought. Much of the wiring can be reused.
Mixture of gate and ball valves for thru hulls. I don’t trust any of it and am going to replace it all.

Lots of work to do!!! Thanks again all for the help!!!

Old 07-06-2012, 07:28   #12

Congratulations. I have owned a C&C 34 for 6 years now. It was my first boat and she has done everything I needed of her. I wont be trading anytime soon!

Solid boat. Fast when I want it but good cruising accomodation as well for its age. C&C new how to build a boat with good quality boat. Easily single-handed as well.

No surprises so far..............Enjoy.

Good choice.
FarleyChucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:26   #13

Thank you.

Welcome to cruisers forum.
Old 07-06-2012, 15:39   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Best of Luck,When youu get done You will have a Great Sailing Boat,Wish I,still Had Mine sometime's
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 16:44   #15

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Congratulations !! is a fantastic boat , i just read that you are going to replace trhuhulls and valves? good chance to seal the core around the hole with epoxy if the previous owner don do that in the past, many get moisture in the laminate from there, and well enjoy the boat and fair winds!!!!
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c&c, c&c 34