Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2016, 09:36   #1

Looking at 2 different sailboats

First time to the forum, and would like some helpful advice.
Looking at two sailboats, first one a 1990 Cape Dory 36, the second a 2001 Island packet 350. Other then the money difference. Wife likes the newer sailboat which is nice, but I really like the C. Alberg design. Been sailing a Person Triton for the last 15 years and ready for our next bigger boat.
Anyone have either boat and could help with some pro's and con's.
Thank you for your time.
Burton
burtonrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 09:57   #2

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Re: Looking at 2 different sailboats

You've picked two boats that I like very much. Nothing is lovelier than a Carl Alberg sailboat. I used to have his little Cape Dory Typhoon. That said, I think the Island Packet is a better built boat and certainly it has greater interior volume thus more stowage and tankage. As much as I love the Cape Dory, I would opt for the IP if conditions were equal.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 13:45   #3

Boat: Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrau View Post
First time to the forum, and would like some helpful advice.
Looking at two sailboats, first one a 1990 Cape Dory 36, the second a 2001 Island packet 350. Other then the money difference. Wife likes the newer sailboat which is nice, but I really like the C. Alberg design. Been sailing a Person Triton for the last 15 years and ready for our next bigger boat.
Anyone have either boat and could help with some pro's and con's.
Thank you for your time.
Burton
At first glance they appear to be similar boats, but they are not. I've sailed lots of Alberg designs and several of the IP boats.
The Alberg boats have a good turn of the hull into the keel. The rudders are hung on the trailing edge of the keel.
The IP boats are more like a canoe bottom, with a long, thick fin glassed on. The rudders are connected to the keel by a metal bar.
The IP does have more interior space, and is built very well.
The Cape Dory is also built for offshore sailing. In my experience the motion of the Alberg is more comfortable in rough water. The CD36, if sailed well, will get to windward faster than the IP.

Tayana42 said "I think the Island Packet is a better built boat..." The interiors are nice and shiny, and the hulls well built, but many of them have poor access when you need to service some items. I can't speak to the 2001 model, but some of the metal used to connect the rudder and keel had corrosion issues on the IP boats. Cape Dory made boats that will handle more than the crew could. Both my A35 (Pearson), and my old Cape Dory 28 have performed well in winds over 50 knots. What sort of conditions are we going to use our boats in?

A 15 or 26 year old boat should be examined carefully. From through hulls to the mast head and everything in between. What they were when they left IP or CD is not what they are now. Deal with now. Price out the cost of items that need repair, then compare boats again. Would the CD price leave you room to get new interior cushions, curtains that might make your wife happy?

If the captain does not like how the boat sails or looks, it's not good.
If the Admiral is not happy with the boat it's really bad.

Fair winds,
Quickbeam.

P.S. have you shown the Admiral the Morris 34?
Quickbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 19:12   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Lots of detailed information on the Cape Dory 36, and any other Cape Dory yacht, available at capedory.org.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 19:56   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

I have met both of these while in the Caribbean and they look very different. The Dory is slimmer and this would be my choice if plenty of varied sailing were planned. The Packet is fatter and has much less overhang(-s) and may have more volume to live in. I could live with an IP if I were focused on living aboard.

Since both boats are know to be of good quality and seaworthy (by design) your choice is actually between your likes and dislikes.

If your wife is less keen on the Dory, try finding a newer, neater one perhaps. There are some Dory 36 around that match if not outmatch the gloss and finish of many IPs. A dirty trick, I know, but then again we are the pirates ;-)

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 06:50   #6

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

For some reason, the IP 350 has more of a pinkish hue and plastic-y look than the slightly older IP 35. I would go with the Dory but that's just personal opinion.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 07:19   #7

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Both are good boats. Given that, it would be very wise to consider what makes your wife happy. Eventually there will be/she will have complaints about aspects of either boat. Note, however, these will be far easier to manage if they are not followed with an "...if you had gotten.."

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 07:38   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
For some reason, the IP 350 has more of a pinkish hue and plastic-y look than the slightly older IP 35. I would go with the Dory but that's just personal opinion.

I believe the 35 is a significantly larger boat too. The 380 is the same size interior as a 35

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 07:44   #9

Yeah, personally I really like the older IP's (35, 38, 40, 45) before they switched to the newer styles with the sugar scoop transoms (350, 380, 420, 440).
Old 14-07-2016, 07:50   #10

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

I dont have experience sailing these boats but they have both been on my lust list.
I would consider both from condtion and outfitting stand points. One of the other will probably stand out based on what it has or what it needs.

"Similar condition" probably is not so similar after all. Your tollerance for various repairs and pocket book will help you make the right choice for you. Skip the emotional envolvement and choose what you can actually feel good about as a balance between needs and wants.

If the boats really do need the same work, for the same price, yes do buy the one your wife likes. : )
Old 14-07-2016, 07:57   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I think I would like the scoop, getting in and out of our dinghy isn't all that easy and won't get easier as we age. I'm thinking about a good ladder on the side of the boat may be the ticket. Just have to know you "lose" about two ft of boat with the scoop so if there is a 0 on the back of the model, you need one size bigger to be the same.
I didn't realize this until I started looking and discovered that a 320 was smaller than a 32, and a 350 about like a 32 and a 380 inside looked like a 35.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 07:59   #12

Yeah the 38 has two heads, the 380 has one

Tags
sail, sailboat