Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2016, 13:09   #16

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40
Re: Long term cruising and pharmaceuticals

Great Question ..... some good answers
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 13:12   #17

Boat: Jeanneau 54 DS

I mentioned in one of the other forum streams that Walmart has a list of generic meds that are available for $4 per month. Get your doc to write for generics (if possible) and take them and avoid using your insurance company completely.
bjymd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 16:26   #18

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjymd View Post
I mentioned in one of the other forum streams that Walmart has a list of generic meds that are available for $4 per month. Get your doc to write for generics (if possible) and take them and avoid using your insurance company completely.
Much of the time doing something like the above is a lot easier. Also, look into having your doctor write down what speciically your taking, & why. Along with the generic names to go with a trade or brand name for the prescription. As it can make it easier to clarify what you're taking.

It would be wise too, to have the above letter written in a couple of languages. Including the country(s) you'll be cruising in, as well as anywhere you might wind up should say, a flight that you're on while commuting be diverted elsewhere.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 21:56   #19

I guess grinding your pills up and snorting them in smaller doses could stretch out your meds. But how do you snort gel-caps ?
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 06:00   #20

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorzech View Post
I guess grinding your pills up and snorting them in smaller doses could stretch out your meds. But how do you snort gel-caps ?
Ask on the street, someone has probably figured that out. Dissolve them in something and have a nasal spray?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 06:16   #21

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

break up gel-cap into spoon, heat, inject
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 06:21   #22

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
break up gel-cap into spoon, heat, inject
We will have the narcs knocking on our doors.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:44   #23

Here's what I did with my prescriptions-
Last week I told my dr that we're planning to cruise in January. He increased the prescribed pill per day by 2-3 pills- example, I take 1 per day but he wrote it to take 2-3 pills per day, so now I'm getting 2-3 times the pills per one month supply.
Next, he increased the mg per pill so I can cut them in half or quarters. (Won't work for capsules) For one pill, I take 50 mg and he prescribed 200 mg so I can cut it in quarters.
With those two tricks I'm going to get between 2 to 8 months of medicine per bottle.
I have 3 refills with each prescription and I plan to refill them as soon as I can each month to stockpile. I'm also going back in December before we leave to get another round of refills to use as we cruise.
Lastly, BlinkHealth.com is a very low cost prescription service that works with many US pharmacies whether you have insurance or not. The prices are super low! You fill the prescription at your normal US pharmacy, pay for it on Blink, and when you pick it up, show the pharmacist that you already paid on Blink with either a printed card or a smartphone app, and the pharmacist won't charge you.
Here's a link to get $15 off your first order at Blink Health- https://www.blinkhealth.com/i/GKW6VR

I was really stressed about my daily meds but between having a dr willing to work with me, and then finding BlinkHealth, I feel a lot better.

This will only work for US pharmacies, but I hope it helps some people who are frustrated and looking for answers about how to handle daily meds while cruising.
tiffanybutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 05:05   #24

Boat: Lots of boats.

Quote:
I had an MRI in a private hospital on a new machine for the equivalent of $US 90.00 in Buenos Aires. Medicine is rediculasely cheaper than in the USA.
I have BC/BS insurance and my out of pocket expense for an MRI was $1800. Medical care in the U.S. is a sham. Only in America can you legally rob the sick, dying and elderly for the greedy sake of more profits. Yet people keep voting against any real health care reform. Lemmings!
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 07:33   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsi88 View Post
I have BC/BS insurance and my out of pocket expense for an MRI was $1800. Medical care in the U.S. is a sham. Only in America can you legally rob the sick, dying and elderly for the greedy sake of more profits. Yet people keep voting against any real health care reform. Lemmings!
You are correct. Its a trillion dollar industry, all considered and has huge political power in controlling Congress. The system is so complex no one really understands it. If I give you an aspirin in ER, that is a $3000 billable event. If I give you the aspirin in a private office visit, that is $120 billable event. Or you can just buy a year's supply of aspirin for about $3 bucks and be done with it.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 10:37   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsi88 View Post
By the way. I spent 2 weeks in the best pruvate hospital in Buenos Aires. Private suite with a seperate dinning room/lounge. Siver service white gloved waiter for meal service. Total hosptal stay including meds and all tests. $3,000

Oh, I splurged and had my own private nurses 24/7 in my room. Extra cost $1,200. I think I overpaid.

If I can suggest. Take a letter from your Dr explaing your ailments and diagnosis. Have the Dr kist the name of the meds you are on. And then if you need a fill up if meds or heaven forbid you need treatment then ask for the vest Dr or best Hospital in the port you are visting. Parts of South America and Adia are particularly low cost with high level of medical practitioners.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 11:06   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
By the way. I spent 2 weeks in the best pruvate hospital in Buenos Aires. Private suite with a seperate dinning room/lounge. Siver service white gloved waiter for meal service. Total hosptal stay including meds and all tests. $3,000

Oh, I splurged and had my own private nurses 24/7 in my room. Extra cost $1,200. I think I overpaid.

If I can suggest. Take a letter from your Dr explaing your ailments and diagnosis. Have the Dr kist the name of the meds you are on. And then if you need a fill up if meds or heaven forbid you need treatment then ask for the vest Dr or best Hospital in the port you are visting. Parts of South America and Adia are particularly low cost with high level of medical practitioners.
Sounds more like a luxury hotel. BTW: we found out that a "private nurse" in a Mumbai hospital was something more than just a nurse. Now that is service with a smile.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, cruising, long term cruising