Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2015, 11:59   #1

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy
Long overdue intro- thank you all!

This is long overdue (I bought the boat two weeks ago and have started at least four 'help me' threads since then), but I still want to thank everyone on this forum who, knowingly or unknowingly, helped me achieve the dream.

I first joined CF in 2009 when I was dreaming about sailing around the world, or as far as I could get in three years. Love kept me in the US. In 2014, I thought I'd spend the summer camp-sailing along New England's beautiful coastline. My job contract kept getting extended. In January, my contract ended, as, sadly, did my 8-year relationship. I thought I'd buy a boat and head to the Virgins, but needed to spend some time caring for my mother who had broken her arm. On February 28, five days after arriving in Florida, and a month and a half after starting my search, I closed on my Pearson 28' in the Tampa area, and have sailed her down to the Keys where I'm provisioning and outfitting in preparation for two months in the Bahamas and then a four month East Coast sail. As I guessed from past CF threads, everything has taken longer, been harder, and hurt more than I expected, but it's still fun.

It's taken a long time, but I'm finally living the dream. It would have been very hard to do this without all the help I've received from CF members who shared their thoughts on issues I was seeing with boats I was looking at and provided encouragement in the process. Past, long-dead CF threads helped me winnow the field down in terms of models to look at. Many of the CF threads about owners dying before setting sail or about people waiting for retirement inspired me to go now, at least for a little bit. Checking in on CF every couple of days expanded my knowledge of repair, sailing, and how mistakes are made to the point where I was confident I could do it. The knowledge and good character on CF, both past and present, is fantastic, so thank you all!

I'd also like to introduce Saga Blue (a grandiose name that was originally meant for the round-the-worlder), and if you see her, her tender (La Vache Qui Rit), or me (I guess I'll have to change my handle to the Big Cheese), please come aboard for a beer on me. I hope as I expand my knowledge of cruising, I'll be able to help others as you have helped me.

- Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2438.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	406.9 KB
ID:	98948  
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 12:21   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Long overdue intro- thank you all!

I see you keep the boat in Australia... nice..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 12:24   #3

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy
Re: Long overdue intro- thank you all!

I've teleported and have a long sail back!
I'll never get photos right with my current setup; I hope everyone is well practiced in hand stands. They help to install things in the laz anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 15:13   #4

Boat: PSC 37
Re: Long overdue intro- thank you all!

We had a sweet Pearson 28 in Sarasota for awhile. Great pocket cruiser! I hope you enjoy many fine days on your new boat.

An Ocean Lover in Maine.