Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2019, 18:54   #1

Living aboard full time/Crossing Pacific

My longtime friend and I, currently residing in Scottsdale Arizona have adamantly decided on a one year goal to buy a boat and live off the coast of San Diego. Silly I know. Not only do we plan on living in this boat but it must be capable of crossing the Pacific. The both of us are mechanically inclined currently make our living as drivability technicians at a Ford dealership. Although cars and boats aren't exactly the same animal, we aren't scared of a small time project. To the point though we are looking for a monohull powered sailboat cruiser capable of the above. Our budget on the purchase of a boat would be 100k including repairs. Without experience it's hard to know where to begin our search. What brands?Any input is very much appreciated.
100k budget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 20:44   #2

Re: Living aboard full time/Crossing Pacific

Boats aren't like cars. They're not bought or sold by brand name. Get yourself a copy of "Latitude 38", the yacht sales magazine published in San Francisco, or visit their website and see whats available in your price range. For 100k you should be able to get a 90's era boat that is ready to go. Get an older boat that is ready to go with all the gear and features already aboard rather than a newer one that you have to outfit or do any work on. The cost of new equipment and the labour to install it will quickly eat up whatever reno/outfitting budget you have allowed for. Good luck in your search.
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 21:43   #3

Search on this and all other boating forums for Project Boat.

Rad away and then decide.

Good luck.

Oh, learn to sail first. Small boats are great, they teach you a lot. Then buy and read Sailing for Dummies. Actually a very good book and highly recommended on this forum.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 05:31   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Budget.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 08:41   #5

Look at the old Morgan/Catalina out island series. they were in production for many years, more in the motorsailer category, but tough as nails and had decent sailing and motoring capabilities. A sort of barge type of boat with lots of room. Many of the Out Island 41 available well within your budget. the worst I have heard of them is that the angled port lights (opening windows) leak. Many are caulked shut to prevent this.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 09:21   #6

The Catalina series is the first that caught my eye, very comforting setups. Although I've read they are not very worthy of offshore sailing and the manufacturer claims they are meant for shore to shore sailing. I could be wrong ease correct me if I am. The out islands look like a promising series. Thank you Paul!
Old 26-02-2019, 09:22   #7

Also will keep an eye out on Latitude 38. Thank you!
Old 26-02-2019, 09:38   #8

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

For gosh sake, step one in sailing across the Pacific or even sailing the West Coast is to learn to sail. Take some classes in smaller boats. Charter a couple of larger boats. Gain some skills and experience. See if you really enjoy doing this. THEN select your own boat for future adventures.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 09:50   #9

Appreciate your advice Douglas. Classes coming soon.
Old 26-02-2019, 09:58   #10

Also, I'm the one on the forum... not my buddy. He has much more experience than I. I dont need opinions on my choices, just boats!
Old 26-02-2019, 10:11   #11

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

There have been many previous discussions here about boats suitable as live aboards, and boats suitable for blue water crossings. I'd suggest looking up some of those previous posts. Also, the more you tell us about your expectations in a boat, the more specific input you will receive. Regarding Catalinas, it is true that they aren't thought of as Water boats">blue water boats, but every larger model they have ever built has done blue water passages so they can do the job. I owned a Catalina 36 for nearly 10 years and she handled some fairly demanding conditions in passages along the coasts of Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia. For the most part, you will find that reasonably well built boats have more capabilities than their crew.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 11:03   #12

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Pacific Seacraft 34 the sweet spot for offshore sailing on a budget.....
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 11:23   #13

Thank you Nwdiver. I seem unable to edit my posts now, not sure why. Preferably looking for a 40-45 ft. For the first couple years 85% of the time will be spent living on the boat in a marina with the two of us. Working as a mechanic full time near the coast. (have had tremendous luck in the stock market, this could change). First comes the ability to live ( as comfortably as can on a small boat). (The both of us being just over 6 ft) Second comes the ability for offshore sailing. If anyone can define the aspects of a boat that makes one more capable of offshore sailing please do!(besides the basics like hulls) I know there are probably many posts about that so I apologize in advance!
Old 26-02-2019, 11:35   #14

Boat: 1975 Morgan OI ketch

I happen to have a well- found Morgan OI 41 for sale at this moment. Well within your budget and would suit your needs...
Mother1ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 11:55   #15

I lived aboard for 5 years and I was happy with a Robert Perry designed heavy duty cutter cruiser with 6' 6" headroom. Important for comfort. Crossed the Pacific with no problem as cutter rig give more options in heavy winds.
A good refrigeration unit, if your have the room and money separate fridge and separate freezer. A Force 10 LP stove. A good dodger and storm sail. The rest of the comport items you want like anchor windless, the bigger the winches the better and roller furling. The rest is up to you. Do it and enjoy.
icemate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
living aboard