Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2020, 05:58   #1

Liveaboard Wanted - Australia 40-44Ft

Hi Everyone,

Looking for a safe/heavy blue water capable boat to liveaboard and plan some bigger trips over the next couple of years. Due to travel restrictions I'm looking at something in Australia/New Zealand. Budget under AUD 200k.

Thanks
Greg
Indipol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 09:35   #2

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Re: Liveaboard Wanted - Australia 40-44Ft

Thanks for letting us know
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 16:32   #3

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Hi Indipol, a few years ago I was in the same boat (so to speak), looking for a solid boat in the similar size and price range. I looked for nearly 4 years, and those years were very enjoyable. I combined holidays with boat shopping an boat shopping with holidays.
I must say, during those years my criteria for the 'ideal' boat changed dramatically, because what I saw, what I sailed, what I learned by listening to others.

For Oz, Yachthub is a good place to start: https://yachthub.com/catlist/used/ya...lls/41-50ft/16. Over 400 sailing boats listed from 41 to 50 ft.
Take your pick!! Check out those you like.
Due to Covid-19 restrictions, you may not be able to travel to and from certain states.
Although I expected it due to covid stuff, prices have not really dropped as far as I can see. In fact prices for campervans have risen sharply over last 2 months! People can not spend money on overseas holidays and road traveling has become the desired 2nd option, Hmmm who knows, 3rd option might be boats?

If you are after a real bargain, then local knowledge is a must, as such bargains rarely make it to a web selling site.

Lastly, if you are able to describe what type of boat you prefer, where you live, what kind of sailing you plan to do, then that mentioned local knowledge might be shared and posted here on cruisers forum.
Old 18-07-2020, 16:42   #4

Thanks HankOnthewater,

I have started to depart from pure online searches and started walking the marinas, finding it fruitful so far, as you mentioned some "good deals" don't make it online.

To answer your question, I like centre cockpit boats, purely for the level of comfort of aft cabin when on anchor. I'm after something sturdy (heavier is better), although I would like to stay local to Sydney in the initial year, I would like to venture north maybe Indonesia/Raja Ampat etc.

I'm currently up at the GC and planning on doing marina crawls over the next few days.

Thanks Again!
Old 18-07-2020, 16:50   #5

This might suit.

A little bigger than your spec but I looked at it a few mths ago and seemed in good shape. Has come down in price recently.

https://www.38southboatsales.com.au/...thouse-ketch-1

Broker at 38South is Chris Furey, who knows the boat well.
Ianau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 16:51   #6

When I was looking, I was on a Peterson 44 or it might have been a 46 model in Pittwater. That went for very little. I think I have seen it advertised recently again (with new Yanmar engine, new sails, teakdecks removed).
Very good boats! Well within your budget.

Edit: just checking......., it is not the KP44 currently for sale in Mosman
https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for...rson-44/249695
Another edit: what is "GC"?
Old 18-07-2020, 17:36   #7

Hi HankOnthewater,

That is the boat, I love the layout, good size gully & master cabin. The leaking original side hatches seem a common problem, have seen a post on here for exactly the same issue. The aesthetic condition of the boat is fairly average, and I see a 1979 version of the boat is selling in NZ for NZD105k at the moment.

Cheers
Old 18-07-2020, 17:36   #8

GC=Gold Coast
Old 18-07-2020, 17:59   #9

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Any boat seriously for sale in new Zealand is on www.trademe.co.nz, like everything else here
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 18:29   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indipol View Post
Thanks HankOnthewater,

I have started to depart from pure online searches and started walking the marinas, finding it fruitful so far, as you mentioned some "good deals" don't make it online.

To answer your question, I like centre cockpit boats, purely for the level of comfort of aft cabin when on anchor. I'm after something sturdy (heavier is better), although I would like to stay local to Sydney in the initial year, I would like to venture north maybe Indonesia/Raja Ampat etc.

I'm currently up at the GC and planning on doing marina crawls over the next few days.

Thanks Again!
The boat I was referring to, was a KP46, now sold by DBY, hmmm I thought it had the teak decks removed, a job still to be done for sure.
https://www.dbyboatsales.com.au/listing/peterson-46-1

While you are in qld, I think there is a nice Brewer boat for sale called caperata, might fit your requirements. checking now.....
hmmm, just sold again https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for...cockpit/245271

Funny that, both boats were sold in 2015, 2016 and put up for sale again, only 4 years of ownership
Old 18-07-2020, 19:22   #11

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Indipol,

Have you looked at Trade-A-Boat? or even Sydney Afloat?

Ann
Old 18-07-2020, 19:25   #12

Thanks Ann, no they are two sites I have not looked at yet, but will do now, thanks very much.

Cheers
Greg
Old 18-07-2020, 19:41   #13

Thanks, the KP 46 would have been a good boat, do you know what it was selling for?
Old 19-07-2020, 11:26   #14

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indipol View Post
Hi HankOnthewater,

That is the boat, I love the layout, good size gully & master cabin. The leaking original side hatches seem a common problem, have seen a post on here for exactly the same issue. The aesthetic condition of the boat is fairly average, and I see a 1979 version of the boat is selling in NZ for NZD105k at the moment.

Cheers
Looks like this one is due for a new rig - not a deal breaker but will cost a few boatbux.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2020, 11:26   #15

Boat: Catalina 42 MK I

Hello Greg,
I have a 51'Formosa Ketch I've owned for 20 years. She is truly in immaculate condition and fully equipped, now with a hired caretaker at Vuda Marina in Fiji.I had planned to return to her in April and sail on to Australia, but no. Not sure when I'll be allowed to return to her. (I'm in Los Angeles.) Am hearing that Aussies will likely be allowed to do so well before me.
I will send you a pm w/ contact info. If you are interested please return to me at my email and I will send you an enormous amount of info, pics and video. She is a really great boat.
Thanks,
Geoff
s/v Un Mundo
Geoff H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, liveaboard, wanted