Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2012, 19:00   #16

Boat: Tartan 30
Re: Live aboard; old question, new tack

Cross being hauled out twice a year off your list.
Old 02-07-2012, 16:29   #17

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric hamblin View Post
If this is supposed to be humorous it is the kind of humor one might find scribbled on the walls of more unsavory public toilets. Perhaps that is where you acquired your writing skills.
You appear to offend easily. With only two posts to your credit, it might be appropriate to learn the culture before you make such observations.
Old 02-07-2012, 19:07   #18

Boat: Van de Stadt 34' offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailstoo View Post
You appear to offend easily. With only two posts to your credit, it might be appropriate to learn the culture before you make such observations.
No, I do not offend easily but I am old-fashioned enough to believe that undergrad, snigger-snigger type smut on a forum that I suspect is viewed by young children and women is misplaced. Whether I have only two posts or two thousand is not really material.You suggest that I "learn" the culture; I learned that sort of culture many years ago in the Navy. Fortunately I have since unlearned it and now what I'd really like to do is spend my days happily sailing. To that end I joined this forum, hoping to get some useful info from its experienced members .

Perhaps I asked the wrong question; perhaps I asked it in the wrong forum.

I can barely imagine the responses these remarks will bring; perhaps I should dig out my old flak suit
eric hamblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 19:44   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric hamblin

I can barely imagine the responses these remarks will bring; perhaps I should dig out my old flak suit
eric - I don't think you found%
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 20:33   #20

I'm with Eric: the comment was juvenile.
Old 02-07-2012, 21:09   #21

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

The Caribbean is better suited for living on the cheap than the Bahamas. I found that the different requirments of Immigation laws will keep you on the move from island to island.

The cruising stories we all read of life on the hook during the '60's and '70's are no more. Even third world countries are now in the 21st century.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 21:15   #22

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

John A you sure got that right !! Places we could stay for weeks at a time now have hotels or fancy houses on the shore !! and ya know they just don't care for company LOL O well I knew I would out live the good old days LOL
Old 02-07-2012, 21:57   #23

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch

Quote:
No, I do not offend easily but I am old-fashioned enough to believe that undergrad, snigger-snigger type smut on a forum that I suspect is viewed by young children and women is misplaced. Whether I have only two posts or two thousand is not really material.You suggest that I "learn" the culture; I learned that sort of culture many years ago in the Navy. Fortunately I have since unlearned it and now what I'd really like to do is spend my days happily sailing. To that end I joined this forum, hoping to get some useful info from its experienced members .

I barely want to give you a response, but I would suggest you improve you're PEOPLE SKILLS. The women and children on this forum can take care of themselves, cowboy. I'm more worried about you.
“If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your ****, then you deserve it.” ― Frank Zappa
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 22:11   #24

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
I'm with Eric: the comment was juvenile.
you're right.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 22:43   #25

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design

Quote:

Sorry, I misunderstood. I did not realize you were defending virtue, children and chastity. I thought you were something else but I've always been a little slow. My sincerest apologies and welcome to the Forum.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:11   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Eric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailstoo View Post
As I understand it (and I’ve been aboard for a little while, with more than a few posts), “our” CF culture is more or less “G” rated, and does not encourage vulgarity.
I thought that the objection was politely voiced, and represented a civilized opinion.
I also thought the subsequent apology was gracious and courteous .

“... Posts containing rude, explicit, obscene or vulgar language or abbreviations, images or links to websites with adult content/images or punctuation marks designed to "trick" our obscenity filter may be removed ...”

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ork&page=rules

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:17   #27
CLOD

Boat: none

I can not even figure out what the offense was that is taking up most of the thread.

But to the original question: I have read and asked enough budget questions here to learn that one will never get a real answer just some hints. The $1000/mo seems possible depending on the person. But based on the items you list in your question I think it will be tougher for you than others as I don't think this is "living" as you are used to.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:13   #28
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:

People -- people everywhere -- occacionally either make or perceive a double entendre -- and will "snigger" at it. It's part of *normal* adult conversation. Parents should not bring their children into forums where all the participants are adults, because they will make comments that adults make. It's important that parents supervise their children's access to the internet.

That said, I've been on here a couple of years and I don't ever remember a child or younger teen posting here. We've occasionally had a very young adult, but they usually ask the one question they had to ask and move on.

Only place I have never seen that sort of thing has been at church *services.* Even at church socials -- yes.

And ... speaking as a woman ... I don't need to be protected. I'm all grown up.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:14   #29
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
you're right.

It was, but in fact it *didn't* go anywhere.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:13   #30

Boat: Cal 39, Karma

I think you find your answer in the first three posts. Skip, GordMay and bobconnie know of what they speak. I haven't done it yet but (if my cadrdiac cath goes well on the 10th), I will be heading out in October. Hope to see you in the Caribeean and we can compare notes on our budgets. jim
jimking100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard