Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2020, 19:27   #1

Boat: Hunter 40.5 Legend
Liveaboard choices for a rookie

Hi All.

I'm new to the forums and sailing in general. I've only done it a few times, but the liveaboard lifestyle was something that I was always interested in and was semi-working towards "one day". Recently my circumstances changed. I am an Australian Army veteran that was medically discharged back in 2006. I just found out that I should have been receiving the highest lvl of fortnightly pension on top of normal work wages, since my discharge date.

So in a surreal turn of events, CommSuper ruled on my case in just one week, started my pension and paid me 14yrs of backpay the next. I got to see the medical reports recently and apparently in the military medical staff's opinions at the date of my discharge, I was broken for any employment - military or civilian when I discharged, but I was never told any of that. I was given $4k to do some courses to help me find suitable employment and have been working for the last 14yrs anyway.

Being a sailing rookie I had been watching a lot on youtube, reading a lot of forums, researching as much as I could for the last few months coincidentally. I had already booked sailing courses, from keelboat intro up to bareboat skipper and start those next week....and then this came through.

This has kind of sped up the process for me I guess. I am planning to buy a boat asap, though I know it will take time to find the right one, do surveys, sea trial etc.

I don't plan to go anywhere at this stage. I will work for another 6 months in NSW in my job. I'll be happy just to work on the boat and do my courses. Then my partner and I will head up to our home area of the Whitsundays and just travel between there and Cairns for 6 months or so, getting used to the boat and a bit more experienced, before we head off further afield.

So to end this ramble; I am just after opinions of some of the boats I am currently looking at, if anyone has some knowledge they would like to share. They are:

Tayana 42
Roberts 45
Hunter 40.5 Legend
Adam Concept 40
Northshore 46

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Macca
Macca_Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 07:29   #2

Boat: CatalinaMorgan440
Re: Liveaboard choices for a rookie

Choosing a Yacht has nothing to do with what is available. Knowing what you want or need in a yacht is the gold standard. Imagine in your mind what your ideal yacht should be. Draw pictures. Estimate dimensions. Walk the decks in your mind to figure out what is workable. There are so many yachts out there that it is easy to confuse what you want vs what you need. Being new to the sailing community, time to think has more value than $ in your pocket. Best Wishes.
RamWilMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 07:46   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Hi, Macca and RamWilMF. to the forum.

Macca,
I cannot comment on any of the boats you listed. I would search for reviews online. I have found those sometimes provides helpful lists of good qualities and things to watch out for in a particular model.
I was shopping for a 42', with the Pearson 424 ketch being at the top of my list, but after stepping aboard one, I realized I did not yet know enough to take on ownership responsibilities. I bought a smaller and cheaper boat to gain that ownership experience - a stepping stone towards a larger yacht in a few years.
Good luck in your search and congratulations on your recent windfall, despite the unfortunate circumstances that led to it.
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 12:08   #4

Thankyou RamWilMF and Joe for your replies. Thankyou for the welcome Joe and the good advice.

RamWilMF - these are obviously not the only-boats available and these are also all over the country - not just my area.
As I said in my post, I had already been researching for a number of months before this happened, looking at the type of boat I was after, as well as looking at things like roll acceleration and motion comfort ratios. Also the type of equipment onboard and suitability of the vessel for what I was looking to do. I went out with a broker friend of mine a while ago, who showed me around a few different types of yachts so I could get a better understanding as well. I looked at reviews for these particular yachts and read as much about each of them as I could find, as well as watched Youtube videos on them. I did the same for hundreds of other boats as well.

I understand completely what you are saying. But there has been a bit of thought gone into this. I was just wondering if anyone had had any experience with these particular vessels.
Old 31-01-2020, 12:45   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Macca,

Welcome aboard CF and congratulations on your windfall.

Would you be planning to go offshore in the boat, or are you happy at this point to be a coastal cruiser?

The reason for asking is based on my experiences with my husband, and included one offshore trip in a 30 ft. S & S (the Yank ones were a little different from the Ozzie ones), 18 yrs. liveaboard/cruising on a 36 foot sloop; and 17 yrs. on this one. What it was for us, and we're not terribly slow learners, is that the earlier boats inform your choices for a "real" cruising boat. And that stuff is all personal, as in what we like in a cruising boat and what you want will mostly likely differ. That is why even an accelerated process of ownerships would benefit you.

There is a lot to learn, and probably 80% of cruising/living aboard is maintenance. Don't know if your healed injuries permit you to do boat yoga, but they could have a bearing. Learning how it all goes together is what the first smaller boat is for, and 30 ft. is a good spot to start with keel boats. Look at bunches of them, plan to buy the smallest boat that pleases you and your good lady. They also cost less, to buy, to insure, to maintain, to haul out, and to put into a pen. [Someone will come along and try to deny that, so you'll have to decide whether I'm blowing smoke, or speaking from long experience.]

I saw a Tayana 55 that had had a collision with a shrimp boat in Mexico. I was not impressed with the solidity of its build.

If you're looking at Roberts 45's, many are home built, so the build quality does vary, and some are steel, if that attracts you. They are usually spoken of as "comfortable" rather than as "sparkling performers". This trade off between perceived comfort and fun is a continuum. Where you think you are on it may not be where your bodies are at with it, which is, again, part of the reason to start small and start figuring out what the two of you prefer.

The Northshore's have a reputation as good performers, not terribly strongly built, but it would probably be fun. However, I think you should start smaller than a 46. You might try one of their little ones out, see what you think.

You need experience, you need to learn about "rules of the road", understanding cardinal marks, and buoyage and channel marks. I'd steer you towards a sturdy first boat, that will not have a problem with its groundings. That lets out the Hunter. There are reasons for backstays.

Generally speaking, much that looks slick and modern will have a downside to it. What you need in a seaway are cosy quarters,or, at least, plenty of handholds--not wide open spaces, so people don't get tossed around. Pay attention to storage space (you need room for spares and for food, as well as clothing and tools).

Finally, cruising isn't for everyone; something else could attract you, be open to that, as well.

Ann
Old 31-01-2020, 18:34   #6

Hi Ann,

thankyou for taking the time to respond and for your opinions and advice - it's much appreciated. The plan is to eventually go offshore, once I am comfortable that I have the ability to do it. That will take some time. But at any rate, the boat will be used as a liveaboard, even whilst cruising the coast off Nth Qld.

I am in reasonable shape these days - it will probably be more of an issue when I get older apparently. But for now I am pretty capable and train regularly. I also spearfish and dive, so my body doesn't stop me doing too much at this stage.

I'll take those recommendations on board re stoarge, handholds, space etc when it comes time for making a decision - they make a lot of sense. Thanks again Ann.
Old 31-01-2020, 19:17   #7

Boat: Volkscruiser

The Roberts 45 build quality can be a bit hit and miss. There are some good examples out there and some shocking ones as well.
I think Ann is being a bit harsh on the Hunter, I have surveyed some good ones and at least one I have surveyed has sailed here from the states. Bavarias are another big volume boat that you should look at as well.
Remember buying your yacht is going to be the cheapest bit of the whole ownership thing. You might want to ring around and get some prices for slipping and berthing a boat in the different lengths you are looking at. Heck just pick up a Whitworths catalogue and and look at the prices.....notice how the bigger the gear the bigger the price.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 19:40   #8

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Set a cash budget, put aside 30% for repair and upgrade.

Then sail up and down the east coast till you’re comfortable. Then sail to Solomon Islands. Life will find you along the way.

You’re a digger aren’t you?
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 19:47   #9

Thanks Fore and aft. yeah I have read both good things and bad things about the Hunters, so I know the views are mixed - but that is also probably true of most of the boats out there I guess.

But I am not discounting them and if it were that that is what suits my needs and I happened to love it, then that is what I'll get. But I will put a fair bit more thought and research into it first before making any decisions.

Good advice on the other points too thanks and I have been looking at slipping and survey costs, as well as mooring/berthing costs following purchase too. It's all going to add up for sure.

Cheers.
Old 31-01-2020, 20:08   #10

Thanks Tetepare - that was more or less the general plan....not having too much of a plan at all. I was in the Solomons for 3 months back in 2000, so it wasn't at the top of my list. But some lovely islands through there and fantastic fishing too, so might have to add it to the list.

Yeah mate, I was a digger. Got out late 2006.
Old 31-01-2020, 22:23   #11

Just remember there is no room for barking orders to your partner while on the yacht. That’s a fast way to join the ranks of all the singlehanded sailors out there. You are better of getting your partner involved and comfortable on the yacht to the point were they can do everything on the yacht as well as you.
Cheers
Old 31-01-2020, 22:31   #12

Thanks Fore and Aft. I have heard that it can be tough on relationships for sure. But trust me, I wouldn't get away with it. She is ex-Army as well....outranked me and just finished her 3rd masters. She would not put up with that crap. I don't want to be the sole source of technical knowledge on the boat at all anyway and there is not much ego in our relationship. It'll be so much better if we are both capable and can share responsibilities and know-how. Cheers.
Old 31-01-2020, 23:05   #13

Well if I see a guy doing push-ups on the deck of his yacht while being screamed at by his Mrs I will know who you are!
Cheers
Old 31-01-2020, 23:07   #14

hahaha....that would be the best punishment I could hope for I think!
Old 31-01-2020, 23:59   #15

Boat: Outbound 44

You guys want to translate digger for us foreigners?
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard