Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2015, 19:39   #1

Boat: C&C 25
Live aboard an Ontario 32

We are looking at two Ontario 32's looks good, but are they any good as a live aboard for Caribbean cruising (St Martin -BVI).

We are two plus pooch an 80lbs Golden Retriever that believes he is human.. Next week I should be able to teach him how to tack...

Any live aboards on Ontario's any comments, on sailing characteristics, problems , issues, things to look out for..

Thanks
tightgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 20:35   #2

Re: Live aboard an Ontario 32

No Ontario 32 owners ???
Old 14-08-2015, 20:22   #3

Re: Live aboard an Ontario 32

If there is so little info on these boats, allow me to add some insight based on my first visit of an Ontario 32.

This particular example was on the hard, and from first glance poorly maintained. However, she is a big for her size (if that makes sense). The rudder is solid with no play, prop looks like new and no play on bearing nor any front to back movement.

The prop does exit on an angle to starboard, which leads me to conclude she can be a handful in tight quarters or in choppy seas.

Climbing on-board she feels solid, handrails do not budge, stanchions are also very solid, there is space for good footing as you move to the bow, with no obstructions. Its the classic C&C toe rail at the bow we have a good size anchor locker, with a wash down (nice) and room for two anchor rollers, though this model only had a port roller installed.

I have issues with the placement of the roller furler (Harken model unknown) too low.. and the lack of a Genoa track , the block is attached to the toe rail, thus putting stress on the rail and subsequent cabin leaks. (This I would need to address if I bought this Ontario 32)

The interior is very roomy for a 32. (beam is 11 +) though this model was still sporting the late 70's look and feel. The galley was oddly designed, while there is a gimbled propane stove, next to the stove in the rear is a shallow cabinet that will be next to impossible to gather anything from that space, on the opposite side there is the reefer, but with very thin insulation. The sink is close to the centre line but not close enough... Under way it would be best to stick to a diet of canned goods or foods that do not require any cooking Again this seems like a fixable item.

The settee are nice and comfy, BUT there is a wet locker or so I was told situated behind the starboard settee. The two door for this wet locker is about 14 inches by 14 inches each.. and of course this would be the settee with lee cloth if underway, so impossible to get your wet things in there without soaking the sleeping area or the occupant, both scenarios which are NOT conducive to your good health...

The head was an after thought but fixable.

The engine a Yanmar 2QM15 is accessible from the staircase. I would of love a cockpit access to the rear of the engine.. there is some additional room for other equipment

The Yanmar did not have an exchanger, the Owner was telling me that the 2QM will not get up to temp to sufficiently heat the water.

There is a tight little Nav table which is sufficient for your navigation.

This 32 is an amazing little boat that seems to be much bigger than its advertised size and she does have the amenities to offer a couple a good safe and comfortable long term living solution.

with a 4.6 draft she can be an interesting boat for the Caribbean waters.

More to come, I am seeing another Ontario tomorrow ..

Tags
ontario