Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2012, 00:33   #1

Boat: Custom 49' aluminium mono
Little Harbor 50

Does anyone have experience with Little Harbor 50's? Being rare it's hard to obtain info....
We're a family with two children who want to cruise long term & we're trying to shorten our long list of options in what seems like a buyers'market.
Thanks!
travellers4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 00:52   #2

Boat: Chris-Craft 38
re: Little Harbor 50

I would say your correct that it's a buyers market
But remember the law of supply and demand
Rare means that its hard to figure a market value price and in most cases means that it gets hard to walk away when you fall in love

Keep your options open ,look at other comparable boats
If your goal is to get a real deal,then you need to have several in mind

And welcome to the forum travellers4
Stray-Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 03:54   #3

Boat: Allures 44

Love the Ted Hood boats, but for family long-distance cruising I'm not so keen on all the exterior brightwork.
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 03:54   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Geetings and welcome aboard the CF, travellers4.

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=2853

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 04:27   #5

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

We spent some time at the Hood complex in Rhode Island when we purchased our boat. The broker took us on a tour of a couple of Litle Harbors, even thought they were way out of our price range. Of course a Hood Design. Stick built interior beautifully done. All the of the sole is removable so access isn't a problem. The fit and finish is the way yachts should be built. As far as sailing, their hull design seems to be very similiar to Bristols. Not a contemorary race boat, but holds it's own at sea. Keel/centerboard gives you the best of both worlds. There is something to be said in pride of ownership. I have enjoyed rowing away from my boats as they swing at anchor, and still admiring how they look. Sitting down below in the evening, just sort of looking around and saying "wow, this is a yacht". That would be the same with LH.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 01:28   #6

Boat: Custom 49' aluminium mono

Thanks for that. We'll keep enjoying the search. Sounds like you have the love required!
travellers4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 02:59   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellers4 View Post
. . . . in what seems like a buyers' market . . .
You may (or may not) be disappointed how much bargaining power you have buying an expensive sailboat.

I decided to buy my boat right after the 2008 crisis, thinking it would be perfect timing and that with cash in hand I could take my pick. I was looking for a 50-ish foot high end boat, and not too old.

Boy, was I disappointed. I looked for almost a year and didn't find anything really good for any vaguely reasonable price, much less any kind of bargain.

I ended up paying the full asking price for the boat I eventually bought, and I barely avoided a bidding war with another buyer. Being able to pay cash on the barrelhead and to move fast made all the difference.

It just shows that market conditions are determined by supply and demand, and this can be different in different sectors. It might be that it really is a buyer's market for 20 year old 40-ish foot production boat, while at the same time it's a seller's market for 10 year old 50-ish foot high end boats -- that's the way it was when I was buying.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 05:02   #8

Boat: Little Harbor 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepondancin View Post
"wow, this is a yacht". That would be the same with LH.
I have a LH 46, which I bought 2 years ago, and I echo keepondancin's comment. His Bristol will be similar in many ways being almost the same design. The "row away" factor is important to me, but the knowledge that you are out at sea in a very solid and seaworthy boat is priceless.
Keep on looking it really is worth it but they can be hard to find. I know of two 53's in Turkey, but there is a price to pay! Dana at LH Yacht Brokers has one on his books!
Here is mine:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Viola 1.jpg
Views:	693
Size:	359.7 KB
ID:	53303  
Tim Godber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 05:17   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

Welcome and good luck in the search. You are looking for a very high quality boat that demands a premium price in any economy. My friend has a Little Harbour 58 which he has just put on the market, they are an excellent boat but unfortunately they built very few of these boats and they have been recognized for the high quality boat they are. This means a very tight supply, and there are always a few people willing to pay the price for quality. The good news is your cost of ownership can still be relatively low if you are willing and able to lay out the money up front, because you are very likely to get almost all of your money back when you sell. Not too many boats hold their value this well.
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 18:19   #10

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Re: Little Harbor 50

Buy a similarly sized Bristol and get the same boat for less money.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 20:09   #11

Boat: Able 50

Little Harbors are expensive too. You can get a Swan of the same age for less.

They were built in New England for New England conditions. Looking after all that brightwork in the tropics will drive you kerrayyzzzeeee.

Well it would me anyway.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 10:12   #12

Boat: Looking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Buy a similarly sized Bristol and get the same boat for less money.
The Bristols are also Hood designs and very well built.
westsail374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 11:19   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsail374 View Post
The Bristols are also Hood designs and very well built.
Yes, Dieter Empacher and Hood designed most of the 2nd generation Bristols. The Bristol 51.1 is pretty comparable to the Little Harbor 50 and you can get the Bristol for roughly $100,000 less, assuming two boats of similar age and condition.

There tends to be slightly more "Hinckley-esque" curved woodwork in the main salon of the Little Harbors, but the woodwork in the Bristols is pretty nice too. Galleys and sleeping cabins are very much alike, and so are the hulls. Both are centerboarders.
Old 24-01-2013, 16:24   #14

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

I sailed a LH52 from St. Thomas to Eleuthera. The vessel was a work of art, she was an incredible sailor. Reliance was a tall rig 80 ft from the water line. She was centerboard, drew 7ish up and 12ish down. Her rudder had a centerboard too. We pretty much surfed for 5 days. Her autopilot broke the first day out so we hand steered all the way, she has a BEAUTIFUL feel, the perfect balance. At night we had some pretty good rollers breaking from behind, she would surge down the waves, the helm would slack then tighten as her rudder grabs the water....ah! At times I could hear the wave break up above and behind me, very comfortable ride, good solid feel, but no doubt she is a sailing machine. I think it would be the perfect family cruiser.
The only issue we had was the hydraulic boom vang sprang a leak at 2 am, there was concern that this was connected to the hydraulic backstay. The captain, though full time, was not familiar with the hydraulic system ( be familiar with the system, save you some grey hairs when it fails).

Me, sailin in the Atlantic aboard Reliance, almost 15 years ago, I can still feel the deck beneath my feet

Hope that helps,
Erika
Old 24-01-2013, 18:21   #15

My Bristol 38.8 will sail itself on a close reach with the board down if the sails are trimmed right. Just let go of the wheel. No autopilot needed. The helm is completely neutral. I imagine the larger Little Harbors and Bristols are the same way.