Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2017, 04:58   #1

Boat: Dufour GL 460
Lifting Keel vs Not Lifting!!!

Hi Guys!! Been looking at getting a Southerly 42 10 year old. as i fancy a Lifting Keel to get into low draft locations.

What are your thought on Southerly lifting Keel?
Are they much more expensive to run due to maintenance?
Any other advice???

Thanks Jamie
Old 30-08-2017, 06:04   #2

Re: Lifting Keel vs Not Lifting!!!

Suffice to say there's plenty of information if you just GOOGLE it(most of it bad on the older models),

Depending on models (even good ones) the maintenance is well above a fixed keel with major refits required from 5-8 years as the norm

Cheers Steve
Captsteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 06:09   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think you will find it cheaper in the long run.. fewer liftouts for routine maintainance of prop, anodes, throughhulls and antifoul for starters as you can pick a spot with a good bottom and dry out giving you up to 6 or 7 hours to get things done in Springs.. Keel maintainance can be done with a liftout every 2 or 3 years.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 06:19   #4

It's either dropping into position or it isn't. First thing to survey once the water is deep enough.

If you're in a travel lift you might coordinate to lower it from the sling to see condition and movement/play. I'd do that after the sea trial.

Check carefully around the trunk for structural failure (cracks). Check the cable thoroughly while it pays out. Check that it locks into position confidently. Check the forward edge for evidence of groundings. Check truck/stability during a gusty sea trial sail.

It is a moving part. Are you planning crossings or is your sailing recreational weekends and an annual cruise? The latter can go decades with just inspection, paint and lubricant.

While lifting keels are more expensive to build, sliding into that thinwater cove IS what it is all about for some of us.

Bilge keels are an option to consider between single fixed and lifting - again more expensive to construct a single keel. Play the tide and a bulge keeler will land you in that same cove without the beaching legs hassle.

Pick a certain physical point (outer buoy) in your home harbor where you always start cranking it up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5231.JPG
Views:	374
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	155095
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 08:52   #5

You can reach out to Distant Shores on this Forum they had a 42 and then a 49. Never saw them having problems on their shows. The only problem that he ever posted here was about his keel cooler for his reefer.
mholtzberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 09:07   #6
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

Good boat, but like anything else, the more stuff/gadgets/features you have the more you must maintain. If you aren't aiming for skinny water and drying estuaries then the lifting keel is not worth it.

the ram to lift it takes up some space.

The factory advised service for the keel every 8 years. cost for a 42' was around $4,000 a few years back. Kevlar pendant changed depending. Also, since the keel is cast iron the paint lasts shorter period than gelcoat or lead.

but as Boatman said - "haul-outs" are easy when you can lie adrying.
Old 30-08-2017, 09:31   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mholtzberg View Post
You can reach out to Distant Shores on this Forum they had a 42 and then a 49. Never saw them having problems on their shows. The only problem that he ever posted here was about his keel cooler for his reefer.

Right - only people having issues will show up in Google. No one posts "today we successfully lowered the keel". I've seen a neighbor using one for decades no issues. I've inspected (and rejected before survey) a vessel with stress cracks all the way through the trunk.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 13:21   #8

Boat: Jeanneau 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescorfu View Post
Hi Guys!! Been looking at getting a Southerly 42 10 year old. as i fancy a Lifting Keel to get into low draft locations.

What are your thought on Southerly lifting Keel?
Are they much more expensive to run due to maintenance?
Any other advice???

Thanks Jamie
Hi Jamie
Look up Ken, he lives in Corfu, he had a Southerly Lift keel. Very nice boat but expensive. Not a very good sailing performance but well built.
Deltasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 14:28   #9

Boat: Southerly, S38, 38 ft

As a happy owner of a an S38 since 2009 my experience with the lift keel is good - no extra money spent since new and no issues at last haul out inspection. For me the real question is will you make use of the feature. If, like us, you spend a lot of time in shallow water and creek crawling you will get great value from it. You can boldly go where others fear to tread. If you spend all your time in blue water it is of limited advantage. 'Horses for courses' as they say.
Moreton Bay Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 15:15   #10

I have owned a Southerly 100 for 17 years and love the lifting keel. My boat is 29 years old and the only keel maintenance was the replacement of the kevlar pendants.More reports on these great boats can be found on the Southerly Owners Association forum.
If you are sailing in unknown waters do not follow a Southerly as it can go where others cannot.
She is not the fastest boat on the water but I have been through a storm force 10 on a passage and the crew were glad they were on a Southerly.
My keel can be raised or lowered either at the cockpit helm or the interior steering position if weather outside is too wet.
This type of keel can make for a sloppy sailor as we can go earlier or later than deep draught boats and not worry about the tides. BBQs and beach parties from an upright dried boat are always available.Save on maintenance and lift outs.
Two new Southerlys are to be on show at the Southampton boat show later list month.
Yes they may be a bit expensive but but good quality never come cheap.
Stridie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel, lift