Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2020, 22:20   #1

Boat: previously Dufour Arpege 30ft
Lifting Keel, noisy?

Lifting keel, noisy?
My first entry, so please be kind to me…
I am reading some reviews about boats with a lifting keel (S&S Deb 33, Barbican 33) and with long shallow keels. So…, more the (practical) traditional designs.
In the past sailed a reliable 30ft (Dufour) Arpege in the Netherlands, around Italy (starting in/ trucked to Slovenia, passing Croatia, Montenegro, Sicily, Sardinia, Corsica to South of France), crewed along Norwegian coast, and in Indonesia (Bali>Java) but had to give up due to many assignments abroad/ Asia.
Retired and back in my pancake-flat lowland country for part of the year, I am challenged by both shallow (EU lakes, rivers, canals) and coastal/blue colder waters (North-sea, Nordic and British coasts). Sailing fever isn’t cured, obviously. That in mind the choice of a future boat will be for sure a compromise. Focus is on a sailing boat with moderate/shallow keel (max 1.35m) and/or lifting keel. Length around 33ft (>35ft), age and budget related. The ones I like, much European oriented designs, are S&S Deb 33, Barbican 33, HR 35 Rasmus (to the other end), Victoria 30, Taling 33, Cumulant 3, Fellowship 33 (last three are Dutch designs) to give an insight. Preferences to comfort and stability, mostly sailing single-handed. To be very honest (and personal…) I am a bit tired after lengthy working assignments in conflict and disaster regions hence my tendency towards a bit more comfortable around 33ft-ers. I still love the 27-30ft-ers, longkeelers go-anywhere pocket cruisers, like Twister, Vertue, Vancouver, Albin Vega, Contessa, also Nicholson, Rustler, a world in itself, traditional outlook, but deeper longkeelers and quite spartan concepts. And… or but, Nor’Sea, Columbia and CD’s, PS Dana are goodlooking designs popular at the other side of the ocean hence not practical for me to look for. My Arpege had a 1.60m finkeel.
Back to the questions I want to raise on lifting keels. One review on lifting keels mentioned the disturbing noise of the lifting keel up when anchoring and spending overnights on board. Is this really reality? Yes, centre boards on Laser, Flying Junior, Vaurien dinghy’s do sometimes vibrate, but Water boats">blue water boats with lifting keels….? Another review pointed even out that sailing with lifting keel (down) doesn’t make much difference so the keel was left ashore (..!). Well, ‘Mr Sailor’ Skip Novak’s expedition boat has a lifting keel and I am sure he doesn’t leave it stored at home…!
Would welcome your reactions.
Greetings,Haboc
Haboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 23:42   #2

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: Lifting Keel, noisy?

Havoc our lifting keel is right next to our double bed and we never hear any noise from it when it’s up or down.
We use the swing keel on our 32 foot yacht all the time. When leaving our marina berth if we forget to lower it, steering the yacht is like driving on ice.
The best thing about our swing keel is that it allows for a 2 1/2 foot draft. Which for our cruising area allows us to get right into the beach.
I like your size of yacht 33 foot. I think it is best to be under boated and keep her well maintained. Rather than over boated and not afford the maintenance.
Cheers
“Where is Gordmay?”
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 03:14   #3

Boat: previously Dufour Arpege 30ft

Great, thanks a lot F&A, for your clear answer. I had already my doubts on the mentioned statements which with your support are fading away.
Happy to read about your restful nights. Driving like on ice must by a 'special' unpleasant experience. Anyway, I think I fall in love with lifting keel boats. Maurice Griffith, the designer of the Barbican 33, was famous for his shallow boats for sailing along the East coast of England. I like the idea of parking on low tide sand banks.
Can you help me to explain what you mean with 'Gordmay' ? Did I wrote that somewhere?
Cheers.
Haboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 04:36   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Gordmay, is a long time member of the forum, an expert with Google and knowledgeable too:

Cruisers & Sailing Forums - View Profile: GordMay

If you are after a lift keel, you might look at the Superseal range in the UK. Sail like a witch apparently. Later adopted to become the Parker range made in Poland, also sail very well.

http://www.parkerseal.org.uk/forsale/boats.aspx
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 05:21   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Gord May also welcomes new posters to the forum. May I presume to substitute for our source of much detailed knowledge and say "Welcome to the forum, Haboc?"
Old 09-01-2020, 05:55   #6

Boat: catalina 22 & 27

Welcome to the forum!

My catalina 22 has a swing keel and it makes a thumping noise when power boats good by and we are anchored out. It probably needs the pivot pin replaced.
Thx-Ace
l

Tags
grass, keel, lift