Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2010, 23:29   #16

Boat: private yacht always moving
take a look at this site,,, sailboat SEAL was built by Kanter Yachts

Expedition Sail

only 1 helm station but could be rigged for 2,,, I like the lifting keel in a boat that big
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 03:38   #17

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
The term Swing Keel is just a trademark name for Southerly own unique type of lifting keel. It swings up just like the Ovni, Garcia and Dujardin boats, as opposed to a daggerboard that drops straight down. All are considered "centerboards", it's just a matter of how the board goes up and down.
No, the Southerly swing keel weighs several thousand pounds, and is fitted inside a cast iron grounding plate. It requires a hydraulic piston to raise and lower. It is definitely NOT a centerboard.

Somewhere on the web there is a diagram of the Southerly keel mechanism, but I can't find it.

As for inside steering, on the new Southerly's you would use the remote control on the autopilot to steer from the nav station inside the raised salon. I don't trust autopilots in heavy weather, so in that situation you might have to go outside to steer.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 04:14   #18

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
No, the Southerly swing keel weighs several thousand pounds, and is fitted inside a cast iron grounding plate. It requires a hydraulic piston to raise and lower. It is definitely NOT a centerboard.
Yes, I agree except that it is a special type of centerboard, one with a lot more ballast in the board as compared to something like an Ovni (which also uses a hydraulic piston ... I know because the guy in the slip next to me once had an Ovni and it got stuck). Most consider a swing keel just one of several types of centerboards. Here is a quote from Bob Perry's review in "Sailing" of the Southerly 42RS. The "bold" is of course mine.

Quote:
Shoal draft is what the Southerly series is all about and they achieve it with a swing keel, centerboard style. The swing mechanism is all captured within a cast ballast “pan” that fits in flush with the hull but the rest of the ballast is in the keel fin itself.
There is also a nice explanation in The Modern Cruising Sailboat: A Complete Guide to Design and Construction on "centerboards and lifting keels". It specifically mentions Southerly and the French aluminum boats (page 58).

The Modern Cruising Sailboat: A ... - Google Books
Old 26-08-2010, 16:36   #19

Atlantic Yachts

Here is another possibility, depending on your budget:

Atlantic Yachts
Old 27-08-2010, 04:41   #20

Dear Doodles, have you an idea of the pricing of atlantic??? I know the boats but I did not found anything about prices...

thanks
capjack1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 05:29   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by capjack1974 View Post
Dear Doodles, have you an idea of the pricing of atlantic??? I know the boats but I did not found anything about prices...

thanks
Looks like they are all one-offs .......$$$. Sorry, I don't know. You could probably email then and get a general idea.