Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2009, 10:20   #76

I got shipwrecked in OZ, out of 4 commercial life rafts all in survey, one inflated, one inflated then deflated quickly, two never inflated. It does not matter how much you pay for a life raft shoddy work is shoddy work and you may have to swim a long way to make a complaint. Life rafts are just a question of how lucky you are if they work. I keep my Achilles half inflated just in case.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2009, 10:19   #77

Boat: Tanzer 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyprdrv View Post
when a liferaft is repacked why can't they test it then for full deployment and be required to report the results to an agency as part of the repacking?
The full deployment is required every fifth annual servicing.

FWIW, every liferaft inspection facility that services USCG inspected vessels must be inspected annually by the USCG to service inflatable appliances. Each country (flag state) has similiar facility inspection standards. I inspect these (US) facilities.

US inspected vessels are required to have inflatable lifesaving appliances inspected every 12 months. SOLAS vessels, every 12 months.

The servicing procedures in the US are in 46 CFR 160.151-57 (attached). Go here 2005 CFR Title 46, Volume 6 to read the inflatable liferaft requirements. They all exist in 46 CFR 160.151 ... a lot is d r y but may help answer some questions.

Unfortunately, lifesaving appliances on recreational vessels have very little if any oversight. All liferafts less than 10 years old that fail inflation at certified liferaft servicing facilities must be reported to the USCG - a FOIA request to USCG Headquarters could get someone the info, if desired.

I apologize to discuss commercial requirements in a recreational forum but standards and accountability do exist ... governments make commercial operators maintain a high standard to protect customers - shouldn't we do the same to protect ourselves?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 46cfr160.151-57.pdf (49.4 KB, 77 views)
Old 26-06-2009, 10:47   #78
Old Salts

Next time I get a boat ready for the deep water I would
consider take an aluminum sailing dinghy, like this 12’
from Gruman, and make it the dink and life raft.

Virtually indestructible; you know it’s going to work
when an emergency comes up; less cost when one boat
does the work of 2; if the unthinkable happens I could
sail myself to safety rather than sit out there and bob (Bob)
around at the mercy of wind and waves.

Granted there’s the problems of capsize and no shade
from the sun, but I think a proper refit to add more
flotation spaces, and some sort of water ballast system
to keep it upright in a storm, could make the boat a
decent life raft.

I like aluminum….

Old 26-06-2009, 11:01   #79

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
I have a liferaft,small hardshell,and inflatable.I would be reaching for the hardshell first,then the liferaft,and hopefully tying them together.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2009, 05:26   #80
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobola View Post
Next time I get a boat ready for the deep water I would
consider take an aluminum sailing dinghy, like this 12’
from Gruman, and make it the dink and life raft.

Virtually indestructible; you know it’s going to work
when an emergency comes up; less cost when one boat
does the work of 2; if the unthinkable happens I could
sail myself to safety rather than sit out there and bob (Bob)
around at the mercy of wind and waves.

Granted there’s the problems of capsize and no shade
from the sun, but I think a proper refit to add more
flotation spaces, and some sort of water ballast system
to keep it upright in a storm, could make the boat a
decent life raft.

I like aluminum….

With some battens, and canvas you would have protection from weather, and sun. This is what I proposed quite a few post back. I was thinking of building a cold molded sailor.I like the idea of arumminum though....i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2009, 06:36   #81

And what about a large ice box

CANBERRA, Australia - Two men were found floating on an ice box in the seas off Australia and told authorities they had spent 25 days adrift after their fishing boat sank.
Australia says 2 fishermen rescued; report 18 lost - Analysis
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 02:04   #82

Givens non-service

Having paid for a Givens liferaft and never received it, plus read numerous reports of their terrible service, there are clearly some brands of rafts one should NEVER trust
scrimshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 04:07   #83

Boat: Bristol 38.8
That's strange. I have a Givens and the service has been excellent. I went down to their facility in RI and picked up my raft, which was ready when they said it would be.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 09:57   #84
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Having paid for a Givens liferaft and never received it,"

What, did you send a bag of cash to some store advertising it? Or authorize a credit card purchase directly from Givens? When? And when/how long has "never" been?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 06:20   #85

I paid Givens direct through paypal 3 years ago and despite numerous attempts to get a raft from them ,then to get a refund ,I received neither.
The firm that Givens said would service the raft in Australia did not proceed with the arrangement as they found Givens impossible to deal with.
scrimshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 07:01   #86

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
- - There are rating and proving evidence about life rafts available - Practical Sailor puts out results of their testing every few years. And inspection/repacking articles abound in all the sailing magazines. And periodically lists of "don't go there" repacking places also appear in the various magazines.
- - It is seriously suggested by all these sources that you be personally "on the spot" watching everything when your life raft is opened and inspected and then critically important to watch them put it all back together and seal it. That comes from more than a few reports of "empty" containers filled with assorted shop garbage instead of the raft all the way to sloppy or improper repacking that will prevent the unit from functioning.
- - Having or not having a life raft onboard is as personal as anything can be. Coastal and Island hopping never really gets you that far from shore that help is not reasonably available or that your dinghy or something else can assist you. But, crossing oceans is a whole different thing. You are really out there and hazards exist out there that do not exist or seriously threaten most island cruisers.
- - A well prepared and rigged boat will have equipment and procedures available to patch minor leaks. But getting a large chunk torn out of your hull by floating containers or other debris and even collisions at night with unlighted freighters or other boats, submarines or whales can result in quickly having to "step up" into a life raft. Although statistically very remote, these things still happen often enough to be seriously planned for - and that makes a life raft system a prudent decision.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liferaft