Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2015, 08:32   #1

Boat: Pearson 36-2
Less is More, Large cruisers not designed to sleep 18 of your closest friends

Ahoy,
I've been browsing cruising sailboats 45-55ft.
When you make it to this size range it seems all the cruising amenities find room aboard and living aboard could actually be very luxurious. The Lenghth makes it fast and comfortable for cruising in most conditions.

My problem with most boats I see in this size range is that they try to cram too much in. The designer makes a 50foot dollhouse that can sleep 12 or more in the brochure.......Some of the most ridiculous I've seen are the charter boats with 4 cabins and 4 heads on a 50 footer. While this boat serves it's purpose, arent there people who'd prefer a boat that makes better use of the space?

I'm interested in a big boat conservatively designed for a couple, with occasional guests? Appreciate any recommendations.
SailCarpeDiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 09:02   #2

Boat: Various
Re: Less is More, Large cruisers not designed to sleep 18 of your closest friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailCarpeDiem View Post
Ahoy,
When you make it to this size range it seems all the cruising amenities find room aboard and living aboard could actually be very luxurious. The Lenghth makes it fast and comfortable for cruising in most conditions.

My problem with most boats I see in this size range is that they try to cram too much in. The designer makes a 50foot dollhouse that can sleep 12 or more in the brochure.......Some of the most ridiculous I've seen are the charter boats with 4 cabins and 4 heads on a 50 footer. While this boat serves it's purpose, arent there people who'd prefer a boat that makes better use of the space?

I'm interested in a big boat conservatively designed for a couple, with occasional guests? Appreciate any recommendations.
Often in both power and sail you can tell the influence of the charter industry. For charter, the more state rooms or cabins the better. For most of us in owning boats we'd rather have space in the areas we use and if that means one less cabin we're fine.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 09:45   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 51.1
Re: Less is More, Large cruisers not designed to sleep 18 of your closest friends

Quote:
Ahoy,

Nearly all of the manufactured boats in this size range can be ordered in 2, 3, or 4 cabin variants. If you're looking at used boats and finding that they're all coming with 4 cabins, it's because you're looking at former charter boats.

If a model was indeed originally available with fewer cabins, the partitions between cabins won't be structural and is easily removed, as can unnecessary heads. Have a good look at the deck plans for the lower cabin variants and you'll get a good idea of what its possible to modify the interior to without too much work.

Or just keep hunting around until you find that perfect 2-cabin variant. I'd expect it to be more expensive and in better condition than it's chartered siblings.

I do agree entirely with your sentiment that there's A LOT of wasted space in the 45+ foot set, which is why we bought the 38' Oceanis. All the same functionality as the 48' cousin, just without the wasted space. I honestly see no point in two heads on a boat. If you can't walk through a saloon to the head in front of people, you probably shouldn't be sailing with them either.
mstrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 09:50   #4

Our 34'er technically could sleep 8. No way I would want that many though.

Look at how you can repurpose the cabins. We converted one cabin into a pantry and another is storage but can quickly be converted back to a berth.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 10:42   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrebe View Post
Nearly all of the manufactured boats in this size range can be ordered in 2, 3, or 4 cabin variants. If you're looking at used boats and finding that they're all coming with 4 cabins, it's because you're looking at former charter boats.

If a model was indeed originally available with fewer cabins, the partitions between cabins won't be structural and is easily removed, as can unnecessary heads. Have a good look at the deck plans for the lower cabin variants and you'll get a good idea of what its possible to modify the interior to without too much work.

Or just keep hunting around until you find that perfect 2-cabin variant. I'd expect it to be more expensive and in better condition than it's chartered siblings.

I do agree entirely with your sentiment that there's A LOT of wasted space in the 45+ foot set, which is why we bought the 38' Oceanis. All the same functionality as the 48' cousin, just without the wasted space. I honestly see no point in two heads on a boat. If you can't walk through a saloon to the head in front of people, you probably shouldn't be sailing with them either.
Actually I'd keep the heads, eliminate the cabins. Never can have too many heads on a boat.
Old 21-07-2015, 10:45   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Our 34'er technically could sleep 8. No way I would want that many though.

Look at how you can repurpose the cabins. We converted one cabin into a pantry and another is storage but can quickly be converted back to a berth.
Wifey B: Yeah we use to look at the small cruisers at boat shows and like the 26' Sea Ray would say "sleeps 6" and my only thought was they better be a very very "friendly" six cause they're going to be on top of each other.
Old 21-07-2015, 11:56   #7

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

As you asked for recommendations, there are quite a few boats in that size which are designed for a couple plus occasional guests. Ours being one. gozzard another. Hinckley, Shannon, Passport, etc. I think Oyster might be one as well but could never rationalize the price tag in terms of real value so never looked there.

Our boat has two decent size cabins, a workshop in lieu of a third cabin which also serves as an office and storage and the essential washer/dryer plus ice maker which no civilized cruiser should be without.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 12:25   #8

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Seems like you already have (Pearson 36-2?) a great boat for what you are describing, no? What's missing? How about the Valiant 40? The Pearson 365 is a nice one too, but maybe not big enough.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 12:30   #9

Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter

Our Taz 49 has a Pullman to port forward of the salon, and a queen aft of it. Two heads with separate showers, washer-dryer, and a very large deck only accessed storage locker just aft of the chain locker (with lighting), with storage shelves, and excellent access to the underside of the windlass and the bow thruster motors. Aft of it is the forward shower stall and head compartment. It ends up making a watertight compartment, as the wiring for the thrusters, windlass, and running lights pass through sealed fittings. At the bottom, there is a drain for the anchor locker water to pass to the main bilge, that is pluggable.
Ericson38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 12:52   #10

Boat: a sailing boat

Amels.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 13:00   #11
cruiser

There's a bunch of boats designed for a cruising couple with occasional guests. Ours has two large cabins, a double bunk room we use as shelf space and a workshop. It's able to sleep eight, but we've arranged it to fit two or four comfortably.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 13:05   #12

The best cruising boat layout drinks 6 feeds 4 and sleeps 2.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 13:08   #13

The 4 cabin, 4 head versions are just insane. I don't know why they need so many heads even if a boat is chartered by 4 couples.

If you like the boats but not the layout, you just need to find versions that are advertised as "owners" or at lest look for privately owned yachts as they are less likely to be 4x4

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 21-07-2015, 14:29   #14

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 51.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
The best cruising boat layout drinks 6 feeds 4 and sleeps 2.

+1

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
mstrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 14:36   #15
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:

If you look at any newer (say year 2000 and newer) production boat of 46-48' in an owners version layout it will meet your needs/wants. After that is is just down to your pocket book and boat bias.

Tags
cruise, cruiser