Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2008, 09:23   #16

Boat: Northstar 1500, 35'
For this situation I would recommend MDO plywood. "Medium Density Overlay" has both sides with a resin coated kraft paper. It is what they make outdoor painted signs with and last 20 or more years. With the close span framing that you have 1/2" ( around $55/ sheet) should do. I use a penetreating epoxy (like water consistency) Smith's is one brand, to edge coat. Paints well and fast...no soak up. Marine Meranti plywood (I hope I spelled that properly) Is an excellent rot resistant choice albeit pricey ($80 sheet 1/2"), If I had to glass in or tab it, That would be my choice, still using the penetrating epoxy.
Jim
captjcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2008, 10:28   #17
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
one other choice that can sometimes be had for free is formply. If you have any hi rise or large scale concrete jobs around, often they throw away large quantities of this very expensive very durable plywood as the job starts winding down. It has no voids. is glued together with a waterproof glue and has a plastic coating on the outside. Once long ago I remember as a hi rise job wound down it was my job to burn stacks of 50 sheets loading then into the fire with a forklift. If you wanted to buy the good stuff it goes for over $150 a sheet.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2008, 12:05   #18

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
I would go to Home Depot and get exterior grade plywood, put it in and paint it.

Good luck with the project man.

Paul
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2008, 18:23   #19

Boat: 30ft-Acen
ya im going to go to home depo and get some good grade ply wood, get my saw horsees and fabercate a new flore pannal a new seat pannal to get my woodworking skills back up to date.

i do not beleve the bunk is a suport, there is no conection for it between the engin compartment and the bunk, there is a suport below the bunk thats part of the hull. (see photo buckit photos)

the bunk provides no suport to the cockpit....

while im at it i may sceal the cockpit locker frome the rest of the boat and give its own dranes, currently gear falls thrue the gaps in to the hard to get spot behinde the gally...

i figure by the end if this project il have remoddled the nav table (was wet now dry and falling apart) the shelf above the port bunk (compleetly rotten held in place by luck) the gally (icedox falling apart, all wood de lamanating and falling apart)

if i get out of work at a decent time today il take a new video of whats going on with the boat....
ShadowRWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 04:39   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
[quote=forsailbyowner;233188]one other choice that can sometimes be had for free is formply. quote]

I second this...I was not able to get marine ply in leb. so bought an excellent formply, from Finland I think....
This stuff was 18mm ..13ply!!
The down side was removing the TOUGH, TOUGH "non stick" finish on both sides.....I mean TOUGH!
Oh Yey...also really heavy!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote