Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2016, 13:30   #16

Boat: O'Day 19 (not Rhodes model), and Chrysler 26
Re: Launching boat and the front trailer wheel

Kenr74,

I don't mind putting the rubber on my tires in the water, but beyond that with sea water it isn't ideal. I'd feel very different with fresh water.

Yes, I agree there is a lot of good information here. (Thank you everyone for your contributions and insights!!!) It is clear to me that I will not be using the wheel that swings up. I just have to figure out how to use a spare for the front wheel (or a caster).

Just curious, what is the towing capacity of your truck? Is it an 8 cyl? I have a newer 4wd 6 cyl Toyota Tacoma rated at 6500 lbs, which, with a weight distribution hitch I think should be able to handle local drives, but I don't think it is adequate for any long hauls. Pulling it up the ramp I plan to use 4WD LOW.

I also have an ODAY 19 (with a 12" draft and I find that it is helpful for me to add a 36" extension to the trailer to keep my truck's brakes out of the water, but it could be different with the Chrysler, as the trailer is different and the boat is longer, even thought the draft is 1.25 feet deeper. I measured the slope at our harbor and the distance to the front edge of the keel, and though my calculations could be way off, it seemed that a 15' extension would be good (it would give me an extra foot clearance more than needed). It is all theory, til I try it of course. If I find the strap does not work well, then I can move towards an extender. I'd love to find that I need neither.

Thanks
Snowdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 13:58   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Some people put a ball on the truck front for easier control on the ramp. But you probably need 4WD because the rear wheels become light.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 14:31   #18

Boat: Sancerre 38

My truck is a 1996 1 ton Chevy with an 8 cylinder diesel. It is rated to tow 8,000 lbs. It is a big truck, so I like having extra tongue weight, but it is by no means a powerhouse. It will struggle keeping the boat at highway speeds up any significant incline.
Kenr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 19:45   #19

Boat: 68 tartan 34c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog2 View Post
Exkma,
Do you have a picture of your spindle set up? I can't quite picture it.

Thanks
Sorry no close ups. The boat and trailer were sold and are somewhere in FL right now. Think receiver hitches on the back of pickups. Drill a whole through the square part of the product Amazon sells and use a hitch pin to secure in place. Hope that helps.

http://www.amazon.com/Single-Assembl...ler+hub+square
Attached Images

exkma367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 20:43   #20

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by exkma367 View Post
Here is how us redneck sailors do it. I welded a couple square tube 'Receivers' above and below the trailer tongue. I purchased a spindle from Tractor supply and welded square tubing that fit inside the receivers. I mounted the trailer spare to the spindle. Going down the road the spare goes in the top receiver, launching it goes in the bottom one. I used a bolt on trailer tongue jack to support the trailer when moving the tire. Twenty feet of chain, big wheel chocks and some pvc or old windsurfer masts to locate the trailer when submerged. Worked great for us and always drew a crowd.
Just another example of how the ol' C26 is a great pocket cruiser! Great set-up, and with a fixed keel!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:08   #21

Boat: Jeaneau, International 50

Go all the way redneck and put the hitch on the front of the truck so you can see the water flood your engine as you slide down the ramp.
SeeMonstrEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 17:50   #22

Boat: O'Day 19 (not Rhodes model), and Chrysler 26

Is there any formula to calculate the distance from the ball of the hitch to the point the boat will float for launching if one knows the ramp angle, the boat draft, the distance from the hitch to the front edge of the Keel (swing Keel boat), and the height of the keel while on the trailer (or does one need to know different distances and heights (like the transom of the boat). Given that I am launching into Saltwater, I don't want my truck in the water.

Simply put, I am trying to figure out how long of an extended hitch or strap I will need to launch and retrieve the boat.

Thanks
Snowdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 19:30   #23

Boat: Vagabond 14

basic geometry...

Height of water needed at the boat axle to float the boat.
Angle of the ramp to the water surface.

Solve for the distance from axle to edge of water... add how far you want the tow vehicle's trailer hitch to be from the edge of the water.

CosSinCalc · Triangle Calculator

The angle from surface of water to axle gets set to 90 deg.

The problem is knowing the angle of the boat ramp.

Assuming 10 deg ramp (not all are the same....)
And measured 5 ft from ground to boat waterline at the axle (generally the boat can float off the trailer a little earlier)

10 deg angle ramp with 5 ft depth needed = 28.79 ft from water edge to axle

If the hitch ball can overhang the water by a foot you need 27.79 ft from axle to hitch. Or you can have the hitch 12 ft from the water with 40.79 ft from axle to hitch.

Now you just measure from axle to the hitch on the front of the trailer....

Add a few feet (like the + 12 ft example) and you can guarantee that the boat will float before the tow vehicle wheels are wet.
TurninTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheel