Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2015, 15:35   #1

Late 80's to 90's Wauquiez Centurion- Quality Boat?

I've recently become aware of this boat line. Specifically the Centurion 47/49 & later model 48S. I'd like input on:

1. The Build Quality

2. Fit for our needs.
--How appropriate is this boat for a couple to live aboard, coastal cruise, with an occasional distant offshore passage? (1000 NM)

--Is this boat too powerful for a couple, without a furling main? Is the tankage, bilge depth and fin keel/spade rudder indicative of a coastal racer/cruiser?
JulieMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 15:48   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Late 80's to 90's Wauquiez Centurion- Quality Boat?

Absolute junk, just ask Weevis

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 04:36   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Bump,
Weavis, where are you?
Julie, I was kidding with the junk comment, I have no idea truly, I believe Weavis owns one though
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 04:50   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Bump,
Weavis, where are you?
Julie, I was kidding with the junk comment, I have no idea truly, I believe Weavis owns one though
BAH@@@!!!!

Westerly owns he does!!!

(now on to serious questions)

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 05:02   #5

Boat: Bristol 27

Some of the Wauquiez boats that were bought over here in the 80's are high quality boats.

The exchange rate allowed folks with dollars to be able to afford them at the time.

Some may have blister problems I've heard/read about.

The Gladiateur, Centurion, and the Pretorien are all listed here as good sea boats.

Mahina Expedition - Selecting A Boat for Offshore Cruising
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 05:14   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMac View Post
I've recently become aware of this boat line. Specifically the Centurion 47/49 & later model 48S. I'd like input on:

1. The Build Quality

2. Fit for our needs.
--How appropriate is this boat for a couple to live aboard, coastal cruise, with an occasional distant offshore passage? (1000 NM)

--Is this boat too powerful for a couple, without a furling main? Is the tankage, bilge depth and fin keel/spade rudder indicative of a coastal racer/cruiser?
Julie...

First, there's a yahoo group that can answer a lot of questions...
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/wauquiez-boats/info

I'm biased, but it's my opinion that Wauquiez boats (of a certain vintage) have a build quality rivaling the superplayers... I've seen/sailed/owned tons of boats, and the construction far exceeds most anything I've seen... i.e. my rudder weighs appx 1000 lb, shaft is solid 3.4" ss stock. Hull stringers are massive...

Somewhere around the 2000 mark, they were acquired by group Bene and quality suffered massively... They foundered, and apparently now are doing extremely well on their own again...

Spectacular passage makers ... very speedy... One I know is on it's 2nd (or 3rd?) circumnav... Sail loads are high, but manageable... But also I have a furling boom, electric winches...

Member Cruisers & Sailing Forums - View Profile: CAELESTIS

has a 49 Centurion...

And I have email addresses for many owners that I could share...

Any particular questions on the PS48 I'd be happy to help...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 06:25   #7
cpa

Boat: Compass 47

My family had a Centurion 49 and my 71 year old dad still has a Pretorian 35. Great boats never a single blister. Often considered the French Swan. I would say construction is as good as I have ever seen, great sailing qualities and compared with other performance boats of the time a very spacious interiors.

We kept the boat at Jamestown Boat Yard in RI and the yard guys were blown away at the build quality and spacious interior of the C49. This is important because at the time JBY was the authorized Nautor Swan service yard. Only drawbacks I see to this boat are the teak decks and usually deep draft. My family's old C49's new owner added a new keel to the boat and now draws a moderate 7 feet.

Did I mention build quality and finish is amazing.

I have to run but I will answer your more specific questions when I get home later this afternoon.
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 07:46   #8

good boat in terms of structure. systems piping and elctric usually need some up grade.. i have done repairs on several of these after grounding, one quite severe, tore the rudder off.
but the hull held up well. heavy woven roving construction and good interior joinery.

its a heavy boat, has some good performance qualities. get a dutchmen system, full batten main with bat cars and the zipper mainsial cover that attaches to the boom
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 08:01   #9

Great boats with a high build quality and good designs. Because of the age refits could be very expensive so its really about the condition. If I was boat shopping right now they would be on my list. Watch the teak decks!
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 09:24   #10

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Though I'm not familiar with the specific model you referred to, I raced for years on a Centurian 42, and was very impressed with build quality. Like a French Swan.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 10:34   #11

Boat: Baltic 52

Sail loads can be hefty for double handing. Take a look at Leisurefurl for the main. Just saw one on a Swan, and they love it.
phydeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 12:26   #12
cpa

Boat: Compass 47

1. Already addressed

2. I feel the Wauquiez C47/49 would suit that purpose very well. The boat had tons of living space and storage. The layout and berths are very well suited for sailing offshore and living aboard. Tons of handholds. The boat has a great fwd stateroom and head. A giant sail/storage locker forward of that. The boat is a huge 49 footer. I think the LOA is closer to 51 feet.

I would say that this boat is close to the upper end of the spectrum for an average couple to handle. That being said my dad and I sailed the C49 just the two of us all the time with no issue. He was an out of shape 60 year old and I was late 20s early 30s. Short tacking up a channel was not as easy as doing it in the 34 foot boat I had at the time, but it was manageable. On any boat that size and when shorthanded, planning in advance is key. When we needed to strip the sails for winter storage, it was definitely a two person job to remove the sails and move them into the dinghy/car.

I personally would steer clear of any type of furling main (boom or mast). The boat has very large self tailing winches so getting the main up was never a major issue for us. If getting the main up had to be made easier, get an electric winch and be done with it. Nothing is easier than hoisting a traditional main with an electric winch (simpler too). The fuel tankage was not amazing. We carried 87 gallons and about 35 gallons in jerry cans. Water capacity was better at 150 gallons. The boat has very deep and open spaces under the cabin sole. I think it would be pretty easy to add tankage to the boat. I always figured on easily doubling the fuel and adding maybe 50 gallons of water. As far as the rudder goes, C49 does has a very small partial skeg on the rudder and the entire steering system is massive.

The Wauquiez C49 is also a great sailing boat. Performs very well on all points of sail and handles heavy weather like a pro.

Good luck.
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 12:05   #13
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Julie...

First, there's a yahoo group that can answer a lot of questions...
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/wauquiez-boats/info

I'm biased, but it's my opinion that Wauquiez boats (of a certain vintage) have a build quality rivaling the superplayers... I've seen/sailed/owned tons of boats, and the construction far exceeds most anything I've seen... i.e. my rudder weighs appx 1000 lb, shaft is solid 3.4" ss stock. Hull stringers are massive...

Somewhere around the 2000 mark, they were acquired by group Bene and quality suffered massively... They foundered, and apparently now are doing extremely well on their own again...

Spectacular passage makers ... very speedy... One I know is on it's 2nd (or 3rd?) circumnav... Sail loads are high, but manageable... But also I have a furling boom, electric winches...

Member Cruisers & Sailing Forums - View Profile: CAELESTIS

has a 49 Centurion...

And I have email addresses for many owners that I could share...

Any particular questions on the PS48 I'd be happy to help...
That info is helpful, thanks for posting it here.

Is there a simple way to describe the differences in the various models from Wauqueiz? Centurion, Pretorian, Gladiateur, Amphitrite, etc.

For example, is the Centurion analogous to the Beneteau "First" boats?

Here is what I mean by simple descriptives (these may not be accurate):

Centurion
  1. designed as a "Racer-Cruiser" and
  2. styled like a Swan (e.g. low coach roof)
  3. Tall rigs
  4. Performance oriented for club racing
  5. heavier standing rigging and hardware
Amphitrite
  1. Roomy cruiser
  2. Aimed at high end charters and family cruisers
  3. More staterooms
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 10:41   #14

Thank you, everyone for your helpfulness. I've made contact with two owners who have there boats up for sale. Both are the flush deck models.

We were leaning towards a deck salon model, but would consider the flush deck boat if the deal is right.

Thanks, again.
JulieMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 12:26   #15
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMac View Post

1. The Build Quality

2. Fit for our needs.

I ran a 47 up the Chesapeake a couple of years ago, unfortunately only had the opportunity to do a bit of sailing... Very nice boat, overall I was quite impressed with what I saw...

Too much boat for me, however... That's a very powerful rig, and you'd definitely have your work cut out for you handling her conventional main, it's big... But I'm a wimp, anyway, boats of that size and power scare me :-)

My biggest gripe was the cockpit on this particular boat... The wheel was massive, spanning the entire width of the cockpit, and the primary winches were mounted well forward of the helm... Made it virtually impossible for a helmsman to do any trimming. Of course, you could attempt a fix with a smaller wheel, or re-locating the winches perhaps, but as I recall that cockpit was not very well set up for shorthanded sailing...

Finally, I could never live with that high bridgedeck/companionway... Even after a mere 30 hours on the thing, I couldn't wait to crawl out from under the dodger for the last time, and get off the boat once and for all... But, perhaps that's just me...

I pulled this pic off a listing from YW... Try to imagine the contortions one might have to go thru simply to get a hot drink or some food up to the person at the helm in some sporty weather offshore? Do you really want live with such a 'Front Door' to your house on a daily basis? Many people do, I realize, but that sort of companionway would quickly drive me insane... Additionally, due to the length of the 'walkway' under the dodger to the companionway ladder, the dodger affords negligible protection for anyone seated in the cockpit. The only way to huddle beneath it, would be to sit at the top of the companionway ladder...

Finally, if your aim is to do primarily coastal cruising on the East coast, are you sure you want a boat that will always have to go outside Hatteras, and have the ICW off limits?

Again, a beautiful boat, no question... But I wouldn't want one :-)
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote