Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2016, 07:05   #1

Landfall 39 by Ron Amy

I am looking at a Landfall Pilothouse 39 designed by Ron Amy built in Taiwan at Sino American Yacht builders. That and the information from sailboat data is about all I can find on this boat. I would like to know if anybody has knowledge of this model or knows of an owner's group online. The one I am looking at is on an inland lake, curious as to how it got there. This will be a first boat of any size for me, the family will be new to sailing and we are raising two grandchildren ages 14 and 3 so I want a stable platform for them to learn on. I would plan on leaving on the lake until I can find work closer to the coast or back in Louisiana (wife's home state).
I will do a haul and survey, as I do not want a major project but minor work and TLC are well within my skill set.
PwrStkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 22:55   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Landfall 39 by Ron Amy

Howdy!

The following is offered in a friendly tone of voice, intended to help you with a different POV.

I think I have seen that boat online, in the past year, as I like pilothouse boats, and look for them..

But, I also have sailed on Texas lakes and other lakes in the Southern states, and having a big heavy pilothouse boat would not be my choice for the lakes or for having fun.

Why?
Because inland lake sailing is often done on relatively light wind summer days, I would prefer a lighter boat, with a swim step (making it much easier for crew to board from the water, and to go swimming if the wind dies down while in the middle of the lake).

So I would look for a boat designed for having FUN on the water, a boat that is responsive and will move in light winds, so you and the kids enjoy the sailing. It is "boring" to be on a heavy slow boat that does not move, while other boats ARE sailing around you. Kids don't like to be bored. I would also look for a boat with a very comfortable cockpit for entertaining and fun.

Put another way, if boating in the Southern lakes, I would not look for a pilothouse boat.

Of course we all have different tastes and desires. I happen to enjoy the pleasant feeling of a sail boat sailing, not motoring.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 23:09   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The Landfall 39 Pilothouse boat is a full keel boat, and weighs about 23,500 pounds.

Since this would be your first keelboat and you say you are new to sailing, let me make a quick and easy judgement call for you: this type of boat will be SLOW, relatively slower to turn or manouever, more difficult to dock, and MORE upkeep and prone to more leaks if it has the original teak decks, which will be hot to walk on during hot southern summers.

In my view, those are things I would not want in typical light wind sailing conditions on southern lakes.

It also has a canoe stern and relatively high freeboard, which will make it harder to board from the water. As a kid or teen or adult, I enjoy swimming in the cool waters of the lake while boating during the summer. I would want that to be easy to board my boat.

In short, this boat would likely be a LESS likely for you or the kids to enjoy for a day sail with kids.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1108
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	125464  
Old 03-06-2016, 23:10   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Stern
The high freeboard and canoe stern will make this harder to board from the water, compared to other boats.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	1435
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	125465  
Old 03-06-2016, 23:23   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

In comparison, here is a boat I would prefer if I wanted to enjoy sailing on typical southern lakes with a family outing that would include two children.

Notice the swim step stern. THAT is a great feature for when the wind dies. The kids put on a PFD and go swimming! That's fun! That feature will greatly appreciated, as it makes it easy for anyone, including older folks on the boat to step on and off the boat.

This is the Hunter 30T.
It has a nice interior, enclosed head, a big double aft berth (great for the grandparents or the kids) and it has a displacement of just 10,000 pounds.

Of course you could find other similar boats, etc. I am posting this because it illustrates what I would choose for a family weekender lake boat.

HUNTER 30T sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	314
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	125466  
Old 06-06-2016, 06:19   #6

Steady, thanks for your well thought out reply. the reason I was looking at this boat was style, the wife likes the old style or as she puts it, the Capt Ron boat (she hates the movie). Also long term, I do not intend to stay on a lake and was looking at something I could purchase outright with no debt. I do know this type of full keel heavy displacement boat would be slow boat requiring heavier winds to move. We are looking more towards a four to five year live aboard plan and thought this might help in that direction.
However after researching the local (lake Marines) area, there is very limited slips and prices are a premium and the only haul out facilities do not allow DIY work of any kind. So I have decided to wait until we get closer to our time frame for making the move.
Thanks again
Old 06-06-2016, 07:04   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I understand.
I too would like to buy a boat, I also like traditional styled boats, and I plan to liveaboard.

Since your wife wants the "Captain Ron" look, you might find something appealing in the Taiwanese boats built in the 1970s and 1980s, when the use of wood, teak interiors and trim and decks, and "traditional styling" was the fad or fashion. Many of those boats, by different builders were built and are still sailing. Many or most will likely need serious upgrades to make them safe for long voyages, but most would be suitable for a more sedentary liveaboard life and coastal cruising.

When you search sites like sailboatlistings(dotcom) or boattrader(dotcom) or yachtworld(dotcom) you might enjoy looking at boats like:

CT41. (CT or Ta Chiao) is the brand or maker name). Here is an example now for sale:
1973 Ta Chiao CT 41 CT41 sailboat for sale in Florida

Baba 30

Tatyana 37. (Sometimes called a Ta Chiao 37)

Young Sun

Oceanic

Hans Christian (probably the most highly priced boats on this list)

-------------
There were many boats built in the USA that used teak trim and interiors and traditional styling to appeal to the public.

The most commonly seen is probably the Westsail brand.

Westsail 32, 43

-----------

Since you like the pilothouse look on that Landfall 39, you might also like the Islander Freeport 41 boats. They are from the same era, priced about the same, and they have a nice aft cabin with good big double berth/bed for the grandparents and many portlights (Windows) to let in light and air.
---------

Here is a single website that has drawings, articles, and data n many boats of that era and type. If you have not yet seen this site, I suspect you and others will enjoy it. It is a very good site for learning about many boats of that era (1980s) and their stories and builds and sizes..bluewaterboats(dot)org

Full List of Sailboats

-------

Good luck on your search and future sailing!
Old 06-06-2016, 10:32   #8

Thanks for the site info, I originally found a Formosa in MD for 100k with all the heavy work done, just needs finish work. She said we could put half down and finance the balance leaving us with money to finish the boat. However we are not there land base wise,, too much crap and not enough time if we did this now. I backed off and wanted to give us a few years that way the oldest G baby we have should be off to collage so the youngest would then be about six to seven and would not be so dependent on us and would have better understanding of water and safety. Believe me I still want to do it, but think we should wait, I just don't want to be too old to do it, seems like time is running out at my age.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:14   #9

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Totally wrong type of boat for your purpose. And of a vintage that could need >$100,000 in refit.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 16:29   #10

Hi, did you ever look at the boat or get it surveyed? It's still for sail, but I think the teak decks are rotten.

Thanks
Cutaway is offline   Reply With Quote