Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2021, 11:22   #1

Knot ideal but motivated.

Current situation
Our area in the TX Panhandle suffered during the severe droughts in 2010,2011 and even before this the lake was losing water.
It hit an all time low of 26’.
It killed the boating/fishing industry here. Our lake is recovering and now sets at 75’ .
With the drought we lost our marina....no slips here now. Only a motor boat rental marina.
I have never seen a sail on lake Meredith ever! However it would be a nice lake for sailing. Despite the few major draw backs that I know will be obstacles ie, no slips, far from coastal water, no sailboat enthusiast, no other large inland bodies of water.
Getting to the point,
We are looking at being trailer sailers for a bit. We will be stepping up our own mast during the learning process.
I contacted our local parks and wildlife authorities asking them about anchoring.
They stated that they do have an anchor
buoy. They also stated that you can’t leave a boat unattended for more than 24 hours ( not able to find this rule/law in print).
Now I understand, not first hand, some of the draw backs of anchoring for an extended period 48-72 hours, but the idea of stepping a mast every time you want to sail seems daunting. I’d love to here your take?
Next, we are learning and not wanting to spend more than 5k on 22’-25’ trailerable sailboat with standing room in cabin.
Any input would be nice. We are looking at some of the Catalinas 22-25 pop tops, but there are many sailboats out there brands makers etc. Mostly just looking from afar.
Husband has ice sailing and lots of motor boat experience, I’m about as green as they come.
At present we are researching, studying and considering all option.
The plan is to take lessons at some point and to head to the coast if we remain enthusiastic and passionate.
Also we are house boating on the Mississippi in September and are hoping to make a few stops, walk some marinas and look at sailboats up closer, if and when allowable.
TIA
Slim
Slim-sh80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2021, 13:06   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Knot ideal but motivated.

Welcome to the forum, Slim.
Old 22-08-2021, 14:19   #3

Wink Re: Knot ideal but motivated.

Thanks!
Old 22-08-2021, 14:54   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

. Welcome to the forum.Are you talking about just leaving the boat to sit at anchor & going off somewhere?
If so the answer is it depends.
If you are only talking about doing this on a lake with no fast level changes the first things you have to worry about are the wind & people messing with it once you have your anchor set. Some anchors dont do so well with direction changes.
The bottom type can be another issue if you have sharp rocks as you wont have an all chain rode ( anchor to boat connection)

If you have reliable weather forecasts its certainly doable leaving the boat for a settled weather period.
I'd say go for your plan, if yr hubby has ice sailing experience he will be fine, sailing is the same principles in whatever variant.
Look at SVpanope vid no 100 on youtube for some anchor education. I was impressed with his testing.

I'd just try anchoring out but I don't know law enforcement in your area. May pay to ask some of the powerboaters.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2021, 16:11   #5

Boat: Alajuela 33

So there’s no marina; is there a dry boat storage area (without power lines or overhead obstacles between there and the ramp)?
If not, rig up a gin pole mast raising system. I used to go from arriving to ready to splash in about a 1/2 hour on my 25’ Venture singlehanded. With two of you it should go even quicker.
As far as picking a boat, with a 5k budget you’re looking at a used boat so it will come down to availability. If there’s not a lot of sailing going on locally, some traveling will probably be involved with finding one.
japawil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2021, 17:05   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37

Welcome to the forum Slim. I lived in Amarillo in a previous lifetime and spent many weekends on Meredith but never on a sailboat. I think it would be fun but possibly a little challenging. Who knows, you could start Top of Texas sailing. I would look for a house at the top of the hill where you could store the boat so you would not have to step the mast every time. Good Luck & keep us posted.
Capt Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2021, 17:41   #7

I have not looked close at anchors or anchoring. I watched the video and it was over my head, I’m not even sure how one would determine what kind of weight would be need. The whole sailboating enthusiasm thing seems to have a steep learning curve! I’m now trying to understand keel types, rigging, safety, understanding the laws, the basics.
It will be a good resource when we figure out the when where and how’s of anchoring a boat.
Thanks
YouTube rocks! Great resources!

Tags
knot