Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2023, 15:03   #301

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Kirsten Neuschafer Cape George 36 @ 7.9 knots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
How so?
Abhalish is now only 70 miles behind Kirsten and both he and Simon have been closing the gap for some days now.

The DTG on the GGR site is a nonsense and seem to just show straight line distance across the Sahara - to the finish . Important distance at the moment is actual distance to the Equator/ITCZ.
Old 15-03-2023, 15:08   #302

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Smart money now on Abhalish or Simon being first across the line.
I'm not so sure about that.
Kirsten has finally gotten thru the "Dead Zone", but Tomy will get into it shortly and Simon is headed for it too.
If the forecast holds then both Tomy and Simon will each get their chance to
experience what Kirsten has had to deal with over the last few days.
Old 15-03-2023, 17:41   #303

Boat: Bristol 27

Well Kirsten is now back up to 6 knots and "according to Windy" is in a very good position for a while at least.

There's lots of unpredictable weather ahead though, but she is good at the moment.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2023, 08:15   #304

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
There's lots of unpredictable weather ahead though, but she is good at the moment.
Yep, as of ~3Hrs ago Kristen is cranking along at close to 7Kts in 15>18Kts of wind just fwd of the beam, having broken free of the band of light air,
Meanwhile, both Simon and Tomy have had to bear off more to the W in lighter air and are moving in the 4Kt range.
Go Kristen.
Old 16-03-2023, 15:34   #305

I know they are all allotted a certain number of gallons of diesel for the entire race. Are they free to use as they see fit?

It seems for the last week or so, all we read/heard was how Kirsten was stalled and the guys were catching up and would pass her.

It was almost as though they were pretending that the others would just zip right through this bit of dead air.

What lattitude is she at now? How many more days to the doldrums?
pete c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2023, 15:36   #306

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete c View Post
I know they are all allotted a certain number of gallons of diesel for the entire race. Are they free to use as they see fit?

It seems for the last week or so, all we read/heard was how Kirsten was stalled and the guys were catching up and would pass her.

It was almost as though they were pretending that the others would just zip right through this bit of dead air.

What lattitude is she at now? How many more days to the doldrums?
Kirsten Neuschafer South Africa
Cape George 36 - 53

Speed: 6.3 knots @ 357.10°
Owner: Minnehaha
Position at: 16 Mar 2023 20:00 UTC
Lat/Lon: 15° 54.35 S, 024° 2.55 W
DTF: 3932.0 NM
Distance (last 24hrs): 146 NM
1st in All Boats

Video below says 3-4 days to the Doldrums.......

https://goldengloberace.com/live-tracker/

Old 16-03-2023, 16:19   #307

I suppose the light winds that come along with the lower lattitudes are a little frustrating, but I am sure the rest and relaxation that comes with gliding along at 3-4 knots in a pair of shorts and a tee shirt certainly is appreciated after spending a few months simply trying to not die in the southern ocean!!!
pete c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 03:22   #308

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete c View Post
I suppose the light winds that come along with the lower lattitudes are a little frustrating, but I am sure the rest and relaxation that comes with gliding along at 3-4 knots in a pair of shorts and a tee shirt certainly is appreciated after spending a few months simply trying to not die in the southern ocean!!!
Dunno, I am currently in 2ºS and its hot sticky and horrid -at 0500 local- and very little wind.

Looking at Windy projections I still think Abhalish may have made to right move by sticking close to the Brazilian coast. Simon seems to have an each way bet.
Old 17-03-2023, 09:51   #309

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Looking at Windy projections I still think Abhalish may have made to right move by sticking close to the Brazilian coast. Simon seems to have an each way bet.
The latest update on Windy, (~1/2Hr ago,) shows Kirsten in excellent position, she's got the weather gauge, moving well with quite favorable winds for a good distance.
Tomy is somewhat Ok for a while, but he's going to have to make some Easterly progress if he doesn't want to sail into a hole, and that'll put him on a very close reach.
Simon is getting close to decision time.
He's down to ~3Kts., ~downwind in light air.
He can hold on till he gets stronger wind abeam, but at some point he'll have to come more N. and harden up.
Old 18-03-2023, 09:23   #310

So now ~day later Kirsten has added ~another 50NM to her lead, up close to 400NM.
She's getting a broad reach, the wind shifting further aft, with a good outlook for this day, making better than 6Kts.
Simon is close to getting out of the light air, but it's still a close reach for him and boat speed is down to less that 3Kts.
Tomy has hardened-up some, working to get some easting, boat speed ~5Kts.
Old 19-03-2023, 07:05   #311

Looks like Moitessier made his turn a few days ago away from the finish line back in 1968. (not sure of the actual date)

It has to be weird coming back in to a crowded finish line after being alone for so long.

At least these days, they can communicate every day or few days depending with others.

This is one long and grueling "race" with so many variables it could drive you nuts trying to figure everything out especially weather patterns ....
Old 19-03-2023, 09:37   #312
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Kirsten Neuschafer Cape George 36 @ 7.9 knots

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Looks like Moitessier made his turn a few days ago away from the finish line back in 1968. (not sure of the actual date)

It has to be weird coming back in to a crowded finish line after being alone for so long.

At least these days, they can communicate every day or few days depending with others.

This is one long and grueling "race" with so many variables it could drive you nuts trying to figure everything out especially weather patterns ....
Its one of the many things that help keep that 'boredom' you worry about so much at bay, along with the many daily chores..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2023, 13:41   #313

Boat: J/109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
How so?

Look at Simons track. Someone else has referred to him as the arrow.

Mad respect for Kirsten, but Simon objectively is the best sailor in this lot.

He is out, but still may be first. Of course, you really can’t predict these things given the distances and variables, etc.

Heck, Simon seamed a lock until his hydrovane broke.

Look at every GGR from 1968 onwards and it is a race of attrition whether the boat breaks or the sailor.

In the end, however, if I had to put money on first over the finish line irrespective of class, still Simon hands down.

Dude sailed north to make repairs, hung out for two days for a weather window and is still running down the leaders.

I think if you took a pill amongst the entrants for best sailor where you get two votes, he comes out way ahead.

They are all amazing, but he is a cut above in my humble opinion.
mochifanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2023, 14:38   #314

I've still got my money on Kristen.
Although much will depend, (as always,) upon the wind strength/direction.
Her boat, at thousands of lbs. heavier and with more wetted surface will need greater wind to take advantage of its longer waterline.
As the latest reports show, Tomy is just about between a rock and a hard place, boat speed is way down and winds contrary.
Part of it, (for me,) is that she's sailing a design, (IIRC,) that's from the 1930s.
One that many today would just automatically write-off as an anachronism from some bygone era.
William Atkin knew what he was doing on that design, a "wholesome" boat with a decent turn of speed that would take care of its crew.
Go Kristen.
Old 19-03-2023, 14:59   #315

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Its one of the many things that help keep that 'boredom' you worry about so much at bay, along with the many daily chores..
Kirsten got a bit sick of the boredom a few days ago so I'm glad she has had pretty good wind ever since.

Many times after we had hurricanes in Florida in Summer then losing power it was so hot and hard to sleep. So I can understand her frustration and tiredness somewhat

https://soundcloud.com/goldenglobera...r2022-15032023

Tags
knot