Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2009, 13:53   #1

Boat: Catalina C42
Kings Legend 41'

Hi all. I have been reading this (and other) very informative forum for some time now in my search for the "right" sailboat. I am looking for a boat to be used to coastal sail along the east coast of Australia for the next few years and the South Pacific islands once we are ready. On board will mainly me myself, my wife and our youngest daughter (currently 18 months.)
I came across this boat on the weekend and quite liked it even though it isnt exactly what I was looking for.Kings Legend Pilothouse 41' for Sale @ Australiawide Boat Sales. There seems to be very little information available on this boat. Does anyone here know of the boat / design. I was really looking for more of a production boat with a swim platform and no teak decks but it do like the looks and "feel" of this boat (one owner). Owe
Owe Hansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 17:49   #2

Contact Bob Perry. Robert H Perry Yachts Designers Inc. Home Page
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 18:05   #3

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Here is another one that is for sale and it tells you who the designer is. I have seen these and they are a handsome boat. I believe they are built in Taiwan, so you would need to do your homework on it.

1981 Kings Legend Built by Sen Koh Ship Builders Sail Boat For=
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 18:23   #4

So.... who is the desinger Eva Hollman or Robert Perry?

The listings identify both desingers.
Old 22-02-2009, 19:56   #5

Thank you for your replies. I have sent an email tob Bob Perry via his website and asked if it is one of his designs. I will probably have a second look at the boat this weeked so will try to find out moore.
Old 22-02-2009, 23:20   #6

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
I have looked at other sites and it says Bob Perry. Perhaps the website I sent you earlier is not correct...weird!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2009, 09:58   #7
cruiser

That IS NOT my design. It was designed by Eva and built at one of the worst yards I ever visited in Tainwan.

Just back from vacation.
bob perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2009, 13:15   #8

Thanks Bob. And thank you for replyong to my email as well. I have only managed to find this and one other Kings Legend 41 (internet) and both seem to have done some substantial miles. When you say the yard was one of the worst you visited, I assume you recommend steering clear of this boat?
Owe
Old 24-02-2009, 03:43   #9

Welcome back. What was the poison of choice, Dos Equis or Negra Modelo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob perry View Post
That IS NOT my design. It was designed by Eva and built at one of the worst yards I ever visited in Tainwan.

Just back from vacation.
Old 24-02-2009, 05:45   #10
cruiser

Actually is was Corona at the house and Sol down at the next beach where my son enjoyed the surfing better. Of course there were liberal amounts of Tradicional to wash the beer down. Here is a pic of my son Spike using the local materials for his boatbuilding project.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spike with boat.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	501.2 KB
ID:	7207  
bob perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 15:23   #11

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Re: Kings Legend 41'

Bob can you please elaborate on why this yard was so bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 02-10-2019, 03:08   #12

Boat: 37 ft Aluminium Cutter - Roberts design

Does anyone have any knowledge of the build quality of the Kings Legend 41 sloop? From what I have gleaned, they were designed by Eva Hollmann and (possibly all) constructed by Sen Koh Shipbuilders in Taiwan. An earlier post by Bob Perry, who was mistakenly thought to be the designer, wasn't very complimentary about this yard. The yacht very much suits my needs, other than I do not know her build quality, especially as I plan some high-latitude sailing. Obviously I would not wish to venture to such areas without a very well-found yacht. Any constructive comments would be very much appreciated. Thanks fellow yachts-people!
Wideocean7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 18:28   #13

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideocean7 View Post
Does anyone have any knowledge of the build quality of the Kings Legend 41 sloop? From what I have gleaned, they were designed by Eva Hollmann and (possibly all) constructed by Sen Koh Shipbuilders in Taiwan. An earlier post by Bob Perry, who was mistakenly thought to be the designer, wasn't very complimentary about this yard. The yacht very much suits my needs, other than I do not know her build quality, especially as I plan some high-latitude sailing. Obviously I would not wish to venture to such areas without a very well-found yacht. Any constructive comments would be very much appreciated. Thanks fellow yachts-people!
Listen buddy if one comes on the market i’ve got dibs. I’m the OP!!
Old 02-10-2019, 19:28   #14

Boat: 37 ft Aluminium Cutter - Roberts design

Sounds like you are a convinced potential owner unbusted67?! Did you find out anything about the build quality and offshore pedigree?
Wideocean7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 22:28   #15

Boat: Kings Legend 41

I have a Kings Legend 41 and have owned it now for 4 years. My wife and I live aboard. We have found a few surprises missed in the survey but I expect surprises & additional work are going to occur with most any Taiwan boat of the 80's. I communicated with Patrick Childress prior to his untimely passing due to Covid recently and watched several vlogs he posted of work on "Brickhouse" & in many ways his repair/replace list parallels work I've doing. The boat sails extremely well, both to weather and off the breeze. I've replaced nearly every system onboard and expect that I will have the deck replaced next year when we get to the Philippines, pending covid status of course. I had the boat out of the water last year and was impressed with low moisture and low number of blisters. I was able to strengthen or improve on structure adding bi-axial glass and thickened epoxy where reinforcement was obviously required and where patchwork by previous owners was found to be not to an acceptable standard.
SV FlyingSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote