Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2013, 06:45   #46

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Ketch Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
I have 2 ketches and live in rarotonga, a force 50 and a formossa 51,we carry cargo (5 ton) and people to the outer islands. great all rounder boats .huge volume inside and good setup . we sail at 6.5 knt in 10 knts on the beam .not bad for a 30 ton boat , the mizzen is a life saver !fly in most conditions till 40 knts.will point quite well with headsail 2nd reef in main and full mizzen. we often get 11 knts down wind and a week or two ago got 16.2 in huge breaking 6 meter seas.not looking for that again but handled it well .force 50 is for sale.
Are you sure about that?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 07:05   #47

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Don't speak to me of schooners

I don't think that I have ever seen full-batten gaff sails before! And from the looks of those, they might never become popular!

An interesting rig, though... where did you see her?

Cheers,

Jim
Old 19-08-2013, 07:07   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
.................. and a week or two ago got 16.2 in huge breaking 6 meter seas.not looking for that again but handled it well ...................
I guess we could all surpass hull speed if we are on the back of something fast,- like surfing on the back of a breaking wave. If we're going to match boasts then I'll have to add that back in 1985 my ketch was clocked at 63mph on the back of a semi on interstate 10! ...and the apparent wind was fierce on the bow!
Old 19-08-2013, 07:25   #49

I sail a cutter rig Tayana 37 which is a Bob Perry design. He prefers a Ketch rig on the Tayana over my rig and even claims that it's a better performer hard on the wind. I want to challenge that in a head to head race....
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 07:50   #50

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I don't think that I have ever seen full-batten gaff sails before! And from the looks of those, they might never become popular!

An interesting rig, though... where did you see her?
Heading east through Carquinez Strait, offshore of Benicia, and heading toward the California Delta.

In my waters, you get photographed:

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 07:54   #51
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom 35, Corroboree

It was on this forum on another thread that inspired me to write the opinion piece about ketches, called "Deketchification of America" for Professional Boatbuilder magazine that was published in issue #142, April/May this year. I attach a pdf copy here.

All the pros and cons of ketches vs. sloops and cutters have been covered above. I guess you just have to want one badly enough to buy one. They have some great advantages, but they are more costly to buy and maintain. I think the extra costs are worth it for the advantages you gain in handling the boat. The article covers why it is so hard to find them these days.

As many of the readers here know, I prefer free-standing rigged cat ketches, but certainly, if I were going to buy a stayed rig boat for cruising, I would buy a pilot house ketch, hands down.

Enjoy, and good luck in finding a suitable boat.

Eric
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DEKETCHIFICATION OF AMERICA--PBB 142.pdf (372.8 KB, 91 views)
ewsponberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 09:01   #52

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Like any rig, no matter which rig you choose, the overall design of the yacht is the key. No rig will perform if attached to a dog of a hull design.
I've sailed on a number of very "pretty" yachts that were absolutely horrible to sail, then again I've sailed on some butt ugly boats that sailed exceptionally well.
Pick a rig, then do your homework when choosing a boat, hopefully you can get the classic looking boat with the ketch rig that sails well.
So many choices! Good luck.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 09:52   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I guess we could all surpass hull speed if we are on the back of something fast,- like surfing on the back of a breaking wave. If we're going to match boasts then I'll have to add that back in 1985 my ketch was clocked at 63mph on the back of a semi on interstate 10! ...and the apparent wind was fierce on the bow!
It only counts if you were standing at the helm.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 11:41   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
It only counts if you were standing at the helm.
Oh no, I was in a chase car, but she was well balanced and holding a straight course.
Old 19-08-2013, 15:25   #55

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoduck View Post
Ketch me if you can!
A lot more options. I get bored sailing a sloop.
I sail my ketch as a cutter a lot going to wind.
Can't be beat on a reach.
More places to fly pirate flags.
More ways to string up tarps.
More ways to hang laundry.
More ways to hang a hammock.
More to paint & varnish
More to rig
More money to spend
Worth it?
I think so!
I still like yawls too
The ketch is a versatile boat. Maybe that's why its precursor did yeoman's duty for fishermen in the past. I wondered about the name ... you know, where did it come from? Sure enough, my suspicions were satisfied when I looked it up online. Seemingly, ketch precursors were originally named for their duty as "fish caches" or just "caches" (from the french word "to stow away.") The name for this type of boat was later mauled to become "fish ketchers" and "ketches" ... as silly as it sounds ...

I'm one to dig out the arcane angles of subjects, so as to tell ya all what ya never wanted to know

Tags
ketch