Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2011, 19:24   #16

Re: Kenner Privateer 26

I realize that this post is a year old but there are two pf them on SailboatListing.com in Florida. The one in Panama City needs some TLC cut not much. The other one is in North port, south of Tampa, and is a jewel. If I could figure out how to convince my to go for it I would be sailing her in a heart beat. Take a look at the photos and drool like I did. LOL She is drop dead georgeous.
landmineop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 19:31   #17

Check out the listing for her on YachtWorld. Beautiful.
landmineop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 20:12   #18

Boat: 1977 Marine Trader 40' Trawler
Send a message via Yahoo to Pappy Chris

I will repost this info on our Yahoo group and on Facebook group page. Thanks!!
Old 01-03-2012, 07:26   #19

How difficult is it to step the masts on a 26 Privateer? Could it be done singlehandedly?
Drjohn71a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:56   #20

It can be done, but probably easier with two people. May make a difference whether you're doing it on the water or on the trailer.

My Privateer ketch has been re-rigged with 1/4" stays and half-inch turnbuckles, fittings, etc. so the masthead weight is great enough to rule out simply "walking" the mast up to vertical.

It's fairly easy to figure out how to use some mechanical assistance to get the mast up -- I used a hand-cranked worm drive winch mounted on the trailer. I have it modified to run off an electric drill. My wife's on the ground, running the drill and I handle all the on-deck work. If you're on the water, you could easily rig the mechanical assist at the bow of the boat rather than on the trailer. (In my experience, the mainsheet tackle is not enough.)

Single-handed, I think you'd want some temporary port and starboard stabilizer lines to keep the mast from yawing sideways as it comes up. There are lots of sites that can show you how to rig them.
wyejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:06   #21

Thanks for the info! I am investigating some leads, but so far the sellers have not replied.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:07   #22

Pappy,

Is one of your unfinished boats in Claremore,OK? How much more needs to be done to that one? John
Old 01-03-2012, 16:58   #23

John- My first Privateer went to a guy in Lawrence KS when I moved here to TX 2 years ago. Odd thing is that he dropped off the face of the earth shortly after. His email started bouncing and his phone was no longer in service....

The other one I bought is here in TX with me and is the only sailboat I own currently. I hope to have it finished for splash this summer. Looking forward to sailing it on Corpus Christi Bay.

Cheers
Pappy Chris

Is one of your unfinished boats in Claremore,OK? How much more needs to be done to that one? John[/QUOTE]
Old 01-03-2012, 17:01   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drjohn71a View Post
How difficult is it to step the masts on a 26 Privateer? Could it be done singlehandedly?
I will be finishing up my mast raising system in the next month or two. I does / will require 2 people. Involves a gin pole and come along hooked to my truck. Still waiting on my custom bowsprit to be finished.

I will take lots of pictures.

Cheers
Pappy Chris
Old 01-03-2012, 17:26   #25

Thanks, Chris,

I am thinking about a remote controlled small electric winch on the trailer stem so I could guide the process. I've seen the "baby stays" in some pics on other boats.

I think the last owner of the one I'm looking at was John Barber, who moved to Florida and bought another boat there to the best of my knowledge. I'm going to drive down and check it out tomorrow.

Thanks for your answer, I'll check out your Gin pole setup when you post it.

John
Old 04-03-2012, 08:20   #26

Boat: William Atkin Cutter, 35'

Owned and sailed a Privateer 26 Ketch, back in the 80's. Awesome boat, love the Gilmer designs. Have a friend who had a Privateer 35'. He sailed her all over the Carib, and the Seawind 30 was the first fiberglass boat to sail the world. Did I mention that I love Thomas Gilmer designs. Kenner Boat Company also made the 35' Privateer, the 35' Skip Jack and the Alberg, Kenner Kittiwake 23.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:19   #27

This is the picture of the new bowsprit I am having made for Vasilia. Ross Wilson (s/v Dihedral) is building it for me. I am not changing dimensions but adding a touch of "salty" to her looks with it. Adding whisker stays and a furler to the forestay. Also adding an innerstay to the forward end of the deck (also a furled).

Cheers
Pappy Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-03-03_13-02-09_432.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	357.3 KB
ID:	38273