Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2016, 05:44   #61

Re: Keel Bolt / Stud Leaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
Thats Great news! I for one though still want to know where it is coming from. Once you track it down let us know. Your find is still a good mental note to put in the tool box to use some day.
Thanks, yes I will let you know.
Harry Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 05:44   #62

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
With all this talk of paranoia, panicking, and eating humble pie... the leak could really only be one thing...

Your bong has been knocked over...

And you sound a little "over-enthusiastic" not to have been contacted by the Bavaria legal department!
Happy I think you're on to something here

How about we start a business selling boat friendly bongs. Basically just add something like this coffe cup to the base and BOOM we're in business!! Especially with all of the people that grew up in the 60's reaching retirement age we will have a huge market. Then after a year or two we can go on shark tank and ask for a $250,000 investment for 25% of the company. When they ask what we'll use the money for we'll tell them 100k is for production and the other 150k is to develop ways to hide the business from the cops. It'll probably come down to a bidding war between Mark Cuban (I mean just look at his picture and tell me he doesn't smoke) and Barbara Corcoran (shes old and is in the market that we're looking to sell to)

It'll be HUGE!!! I'm going to start boat shopping now. So as they say on the tank are you in or are you out?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coffee Mug.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	119511   Click image for larger version

Name:	cuban.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	119512  

Click image for larger version

Name:	barb.jpeg
Views:	131
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	119513  
Old 24-02-2016, 05:57   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Brown View Post
We all make mistakes! I put my hand up and came clean, honesty is the best policy! I could have just slid back into my hole and never seen again!
Hopefully you're not keeping tabs on my mistakes !

Glad you're here and thanks for the update !!!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 05:58   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:

How about we start a business selling boat friendly bongs. Basically just add something like this coffe cup to the base and BOOM we're in business!! Especially with all of the people that grew up in the 60's reaching retirement age we will have a huge market. Then after a year or two we can go on shark tank and ask for a $250,000 investment for 25% of the company. When they ask what we'll use the money for we'll tell them 100k is for production and the other 150k is to develop ways to hide the business from the cops. It'll probably come down to a bidding war between Mark Cuban (I mean just look at his picture and tell me he doesn't smoke) and Barbara Corcoran (shes old and is in the market that we're looking to sell to)

It'll be HUGE!!! I'm going to start boat shopping now. So as they say on the tank are you in or are you out?
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

I'M IN !!!!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 05:58   #65

Boat: Sandibar 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Brown View Post
UPDATE:

Guys,

I was at the boat this weekend.
I need to eat some humble pie!!

I was 100% wrong, you guys were right. The keel bolt is not leaking, it is from elsewhere, (yet to be tracked down, fresh water leak slightly tainted with salt).
This is obviously good news but I am very sorry for wasting everyone’s time and appreciate all the help /advise that I was given.
When I first saw the water around the bolt, I panicked and talked myself into the worst, it really did look like it was coming from the bolt, further investigation proved otherwise.

I also apologize to every other Bavaria owner for muddying the already dirty waters regarding Bavaria keels!

The boat is sound, the keel is sound, and 39 Cruiser is still an amazing yacht!

Thanks again, I’m going to go finish my pie now!!
Had a similar experience. I was sure the keel bolts were leaking as water slowly accumulated in the bilge. Confirmed it was salt water by tasting it. A bit later found the real leak: septic tank hose fitting
Sandibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 06:02   #66

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandibar View Post
Had a similar experience. I was sure the keel bolts were leaking as water slowly accumulated in the bilge. Confirmed it was salt water by tasting it. A bit later found the real leak: septic tank hose fitting
EWWWWW............:throw up sound:............EWWWWW
Old 24-02-2016, 06:12   #67

Quote:
EWWWWW............:throw up sound:............EWWWWW
yep...
Old 24-02-2016, 09:13   #68

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

That's great news! I thought the stud and washer were way too shiny to have a leak there. I'd suggest getting all the water out, lining the whole area with paper towels, and going for a sail.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 14:17   #69

Quote:
Well my mum sez there's too much salt in your diet, right, so you got to cut out the herring-chocolate-and-herring soufflé.

Only fix for the plague ship is open the seacocks, set it on fire & give it a decent burial, obviously.

And "Ugh-yerk" is how you spell what happens when you drink poowater.
unclemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 14:37   #70

Quote:

How about we start a business selling boat friendly bongs. Basically just add something like this coffe cup to the base

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm!

That mug wasn't made by a female Dutch potter by any chance . . . . . .

I designed a mug like that in the early 80's, and gave it to a female Dutch potter to make for me.

Stable on a boat, and with the small neck, it cut the wind chill of the contents quite well (the big mugs of hot OXO were going cold waaay too fast).

Very glad it wasn't an expensive keel bolt job by the way.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 14:42   #71

Quote:

Hey that's not as bad as happened to some guy trying to steal the fuel from a motorhome parked up for the night, but put the tube in the wrong tank before giving major suck to the holding tank . . .

Sometimes Justice really is poetic.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 07:57   #72

Unclemack: the Baltic's very low salt content up here in Finland, so your mum may have to reconsider dietary advise. Preferred chlorine to burial and burning .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribbit View Post
Hey that's not as bad as happened to some guy trying to steal the fuel from a motorhome parked up for the night, but put the tube in the wrong tank before giving major suck to the holding tank . . .

Sometimes Justice really is poetic.
Uh oh... that IS disgusting and truly poetic justice.
Old 28-02-2016, 13:00   #73

I've no problem with the OP having been mistaken, my keel bolts are indeed leaking. How do I know? The boat is high and dry and winterized. I poured a half gallon of RV antifreeze into the bilge, for pump protection. The stuff has been weeping out at the aft area of the keel seam. Refilled it twice just to be sure it wasn't evaporation that was drying out the bilge. About to plug the limber holes in each hull stringer, isolating the bolts enough to try and figure out whether one or many are leaking. If that lets me isolate the leaker, I'll try a retorque first and retest. I don't want to drop the keel for just one or two bolts. Once I know what's what I'll repost for advice. I like the hole saw approach, may try to make a collar to go around the stud with a Zirk fitting on it. Once sealed onto the hull I should be able to push some cleaning/prep fluids/compressed air down along the stud and thoughout the keel joint region. Then pressure inject 4200 until it starts appearing at the joint. Retorque the nut and retest once cured. It's been a freshwater boat for 40 years, now in salt, so I'd like to get this done before next season. Cheers
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 14:06   #74

I suggested to a neighbour a while back that he could cut saw teeth into the end of a piece of scrap steel pipe the right size to slip over his keel bolts.

Doesn't need precisely-cut teeth or hardened steel pipe. Not being hard enough to damage the keel bolt threads is actually a good thing...

Doesn't need to be made to fit a power drill - clamping a mole grip around the top of the pipe and turning it by hand is fine - you'll be stopping every few turns to blow/suck out the swarf anyway.

Re-sharpening teeth with a file when needed takes seconds.

Job would have been finished before he was halfway through thinking about the adapted hole saw he eventually had someone fabricate.
unclemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 15:21   #75
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemack View Post
I suggested to a neighbour a while back that he could cut saw teeth into the end of a piece of scrap steel pipe the right size to slip over his keel bolts.

Doesn't need precisely-cut teeth or hardened steel pipe. Not being hard enough to damage the keel bolt threads is actually a good thing...

Doesn't need to be made to fit a power drill - clamping a mole grip around the top of the pipe and turning it by hand is fine - you'll be stopping every few turns to blow/suck out the swarf anyway.

Re-sharpening teeth with a file when needed takes seconds.

Job would have been finished before he was halfway through thinking about the adapted hole saw he eventually had someone fabricate.

Can't just cut teeth without bending in kerf, or it will just bind. I've found it pretty easy to cut a hole saw in half and weld the two halves to the respective ends of a piece of pipe, then grind the weld flush. Then you can chuck it into a Hole Hawg. If you have a metal cutting chop saw it's super easy to make a square cut and it all just lines up. Thread is usually only on the top of the bolt/stud, therefore not at risk of damage.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel