Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2018, 10:48   #31

Boat: Scout 30
Re: Kayak vs. Dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
Had to look up SUP. Don't you stand on all paddle boards? And I never recommended a paddleboard.
ISUP: Inflatable Stand Up Paddleboard
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:44   #32

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Misunderstood your intent...pic was of paddleboard towing. Give it a try. You may find it more of a pain than it appears.

If towing with dinghy + motor at any speed it will need something to help it track straight, like a skeg, otherwise it will carteen all about.

Ive towed other kayakers and used a sit-on-top kayak as a kayak towed supply barge in near coastal waters...tough going for any distance in any significant wind/seas, but across a protected anchorage would not be bad.
It might not work for exposed areas. But I plan on using it behind a small dinghy with a trolling motor for hauling water on calm days. Also I must say I know people with ISUP that are quite happy with them and use a cooler or a simple Tupperware bucket to keep their things dry. The cooler can be used as a seat in windy conditions. And I know one person that had a kayak paddle for this position.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:27   #33

Boat: Tartan 3800

A SUP would be my very last choice for dealing with any sort of problem situation such as rowing out a kedge or getting a drunk/ill/overtired person to or from shore at night, when it's cold, in light chop and a breeze.

Yaks, entry and exit is a problem, you will get wet, not stable enough to be a good choice as a work platform of any kind, most do not have enough capacity for two people and a load of groceries

Canoes, of olden time these had much greater variety of construction and there were versions with more freeboard that would be highly suitable. This example would be too large:

Freighter Canoe, traditional 22' - Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

But intermediate sizes have been made and to some extent still are. Square stern canoes in 16' are still readily available new and used, usually in aluminum, and would be about right. These take a 3hp motor and carry 3 big guys or 2 and a load of groceries. Due to their length, they will not fit on deck.

If you're going to have a hard dink, you are better off with a Trinka or Fatty Knees or Portland Pudgy than a 'yak or canoe, because they have more freeboard, more capacity for the same empty weight, are shorter so they will fit on deck, can accept a motor, have an integral rub rail for the inevitable bump and grind, are stable enough to use as a work platform, etc etc etc. If you're going to have a deflatable then you are better off with the customary configurations everyone uses (Avon, AB, etc) as these are seaworthy, have more capacity, are shorter so they will fit on deck, can accept a motor, are stable enough to use as a work platform, are made of hypalon rather than pvc, etc etc etc.
Jammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:43   #34

Every vessel has it's advantages and disadvantages it's all about choosing the compromise that best suits you.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:11   #35

Boat: 32 feet of love

I carry a 10' "sit-inside" kayak (what is the proper term?) and either a 9' inflatable dinghy or 8' fiberglass Livingston style dinghy.
I had a 2.5hp outboard as well which I kept on the stern railing.
this on a Newport 28.

not too bad wrestling the dinghy onto the foredeck of the mothership from a dock. towing is of course an option but costs me up to a knot of speed.

need to watch out not to pinch running rigging, otherwise the boats don't interfere with the sails. they do interfere with you moving about the deck, that's for sure!

doing multiple trips to get people and supplies back and forth gets old real quick. not having something light and nimble like a kayak also gtets old fast.

I singlehand most of the time, only other crew is my wife. I find a combo of both to be ideal for me. as always on boats this size, your compromises will be dictated by the cruising you do and the sailor you are.
yalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:37   #36
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
Every vessel has it's advantages and disadvantages it's all about choosing the compromise that best suits you.

Exactly. I've used inflatable sportboats, RIBs, and kayaks (all types). I like them all and they have a purpose. Frankly, this quickly dissolved into a mono-multi thread, with strong comments from people that either have not used all types, or not taken the time to learn proper use.

Kayaks (any type) are super handy for a single person who is a skilled paddler. Sit-in is dry and boarding requires skill. So does seaworthyness.

For multiple people and those who want something klutz-proof, inflatable dinghies have a lot going for them; I've had many guests where that was the only answer. Also handy if you have a lot to carry, though a sit-in will carry more than you think and generally enough for one.

I've had both on the same boat (dinghy on davits), and often the dinghy was not used for days at a time, because the kayak was less fuss and more fun.

And no, the kayaks are not in the way. I carry them on the davits.
Old 12-07-2018, 18:18   #37

Thinwater. I too have used just about every type of tender you can imagine. But what works for me may not work for others and I understand that but it seems like most people on this thread think their way is the best. oh well
Old 15-09-2019, 12:50   #38

Boat: ATN Gail Sail

A dinghy is a superior primary tender. It's easier and safer with much more flexibility
in case you have guests onboard. I like to bring a kayak along with me on my trips, but it is strictly for fun. I have used it as a tender before, but I would not recommend for most scenarios.

For those interested in my setup, I modified some old J-racks from my Subaru. Adhered the rack to the side of cabin and hang two sets of kayaks on the wall. Up and out of the way. Straps are necessary so they won't fall in rough waters!
SailorJoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2019, 16:02   #39
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Kayaks were invented by Eskimos. But didn’t you hear about the Eskimo who got so cold while paddling he decided to light a fire for warmth. Of course the kayak burned and sank, thus proving ...you can’t have your kayak and heat it too.
Inuit or Yupik not Eskimo.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2019, 07:48   #40

Boat: 1994 Ericson 380, 38'

My wife has fallen out of both the kayak and dinghy, so it never matters which we bring she will potentially get wet. Sit on top Kayaks fit nicely strapped to the inside of the lifelines and if you purchase the wide fishing type they are very stable. It is nice that we have a small swim platform on the stern of our boat as it helps with entry and exit. I wouldn't want to use a sit inside kayak as exit and entry would be much harder. Been there, done that and my old joints don't like sit inside anymore. But again, wife still falls in the water no matter what tender we are using. And as stated earlier, plan to get a wet bottom using the kayak.
Lnewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2019, 08:21   #41

Boat: Bristol 27

I have a 16'6" Kayak on the deck of my 27' boat. It's maybe 23" - 24" wide.

My longest trip on it was 8 miles on the ocean side of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. (CBBT)

It's a Folbot Copper and can be disassembled to fit in a large backpack. I haven't disassembled it in a couple years but do remove the cover/skin in Winter

There's room for groceries etc but you have to be adept at entry and exit

Other more expensive folding kayaks are Feathercraft and Klepper. I believe Klepper still uses a wooden frame. Mine is aluminum tubing

A Doctor in 1956 crossed the Atlantic in a Klepper folding kayak with a small sail

https://www.klepperamerica.com/about/

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B27-1.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	200197   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01944.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	423.6 KB
ID:	200201  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01952.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	434.7 KB
ID:	200202   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02049.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	371.6 KB
ID:	200203  

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 17:07   #42

Boat: Tartan 40

Nice pics Thomm225. A great boat that reminds me of my old Luders 33. I bet you sail the heck out of it and it leaves your marina much more often than a bunch of new 40+ footers that stay tied up most of summer
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 17:19   #43

Boat: Passport 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnewman View Post
My wife has fallen out of both the kayak ..
That is quite a trick if you are talking about sit in kayaks.
kev_rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 22:29   #44

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Now last summer I played with my daughter’s new inflatable SUP and I was really impressed how easy, rigid and versatile it was, and potentially a lifesaver in retrieving a struggling or unconscious swimmer. Here is one video on “SUP rescues” and if you haven’t seen them, they are certainly worth a look. Given how easy it is to pack and inflate, it now has a permanent place in the boat! I'm betting these will be a standard item for lifeguards everywhere soon. I didn't get this model and I post this just for information purposes on how they can be used.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 23:29   #45

Boat: 40ft fibreglass sloop

Yes, very nicely packable.

Going off on a tangent:
When you look at 50sec into the video, isn't it a bit frustrating how videos that show paddle boards used in stand-up mode, always find glassy flat ocean to demo it on?

Would the two of them paddle so casually upright if there was a one foot chop running ? Even better, turn the 1ft chop beam-on.

Flat on your stomach, yes, pretty stable in chop, though it's a full body shower so don't do it too often mid-winter.
Marqus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, Kayak