Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2014, 07:17   #1

Boat: Lagoon 380 #069
Kaddy-Krogen ketch

I'm interested in buying a K-K ketch and I can't find any information on it. I'm familiar with Kaddy-Krogen trawlers and didn't know they made sailboats at all. Their sailboats appear to be a footnote in the history of the company.

The website only lists 85 sloops and does not mention anything about the ketch. Does that mean the ketch is a custom job?
Kadey-Krogen Yachts: History: 38 Specs

It has 2 centerboards that allow it to sail in shallow waters. Compared to the size of the boat they look too small, like guppy ventral fins. Are they adequate for open water sailing?
yardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:15   #2

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter
Re: Kaddy-Krogen ketch

I have a Krogan 38. Cutter. As far i know they only made the38 inn the cutter config. I have seen a few remove the inner stay and sail as a sloop. Balance is much better in the three sail config as, designed. Its one of the best livaboard designs out there. Private capt cabin, woodstove, wine storage. Great gallery. Head with stand up shower. Salon and table for six in comfort. I've heard no complaints about performance. And the shallow draft it's unbeatable. As far as offshore, there are a fair number around the world. England/scotland, south america, the med. They didn't truck em there. There's a great website on the kk38. I have hull#22. I've been restoring her for the past year+. Feel free to pm me if you need more info.
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:37   #3

Thanks. I PMed you

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 08-07-2014, 17:10   #4

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

From what I have been able to find, there was only one ever made in a ketch configuration, and that was for Jim Krogan for his personal use. I know not much else other than that, and have no personal experience with them.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:43   #5

Boat: Kadey Krogen 42

I agree with what KroganSailor said. These are great boats and perfect for Florida and the Bahamas. The cutter rig is well balanced and the twin boards make her track very well in quartering seas. I know of one for sale in Florida named Morgana. I have sailed her a lot including off shore passages and can tell you all about her if you are interested.
AnsleyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:52   #6

I've looked at a couple before, man it looked like it was built to survive a nuclear detonation! Be careful though, I think they are foam cored hulls... get a good survey...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 16:23   #7

It might be the same one I'm looking at on CL. We plan to be liveaboards for a year. Is that possible in this sort of boat? How is the interior laid out? What about the freeboard? Also why did Jim krogen make his a ketch yet make the others cutters?

I'm not too familiar with hull materials. What's the downside to foam core? What is foam core?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 09-07-2014, 17:17   #8

Very liveable as I remember, I havent been on one in years. Fairly high freeboard as I remember.
Cored hulls are very stiff and strong... when new. They are famous for getting water saturation very quickly at times... means the core (balsa or foam) may have water in it... depleting the strength and very expensive to fix. A good surveyor can find this. If no problems by now, It may never have any.
Usually water gets into the hull (or deck.. most boats have cored decks) via a fitting that is leaking, a thru hull fitting in a hull, or the toe rail or rub rail into the hull.
I cant imagine these are great sailors but pretty nice liveaboards.

Boat info here: http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=1914

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ketch