Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2014, 03:48   #1

Just purchased a Islander 26'

I have been nosing around the past couple of months for a boat and finally came across a Craigslist ad for a 1977 Islander 26' for $1000.00. I rarely use Craigslist due to people not responding, or the old...... "I sold it a month ago". I decided to send a email anyways. To my surprise the owner called me within a couple of hours. We met the next morning at a nice little marina in Portsmouth. I checked in at the office and told the guy I was looking for the owner of the 26' Islander. The man at the counter was the owner of the facility and he was really nice and informative. He told me that the seller was a very nice guy and I would really like him. It turned out that I had walked right past him in the parking lot.

We ended up meeting at his slip and went through the usual poking around. It was sold after about 5 minutes, but we ended up talking for over a hour and a half about our personal histories. We were both sailors. He was in the Iranian Navy and I retired from the US Navy. We both drove 18 wheelers for a number of years as owner operators for Schneider National. I went to Engineman "A" school in 1977 and learned diesels alongside of many Iranian sailors that he had served with. We were both pretty amazed with our common background. We could have gone on all day long but our schedules were pretty full. Our meeting ended up with me being the new owner, and the seller being my new friend and neighbor. He has a bigger boat now 1 pier over from me.

The Boat is dry and in decent shape overall. Good sail sheets and some fairly new rigging. The bottom needs a good cleaning, blister check, and paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Keefer.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	86966  
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 03:57   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Just purchased a Islander 26'

Welcome and well done
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 04:42   #3

Glad to hear that you got a good deal off Craigslist. Hope the boat is in good shape.
prosneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 04:51   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

New boat, and a new friend, you can't beat that
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 05:02   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

CONGRATULATIONS - Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Snipe.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 05:18   #6

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Just purchased a Islander 26'

That Iranian Navy bit troubled me a little. I was reading an esteemed naval historian, Tom Clancy I believe, who mentioned an Iranian submariner in his writings. Seems the guy was a virtual chess master of a mariner, friendly and cordial as all heck, and ultimately was given asylum in the US, presumably under an assumed name; probably some common sailor name like Joe Blow. Is his name Joe? Could be the same guy.

Note, too, that your new boat was built in 1977, THE SAME YEAR YOU WERE IN NAVY SCHOOL WITH IRANIANS! That is hardly a coincidence, sir.

I used to have a number of Iranian acquaintances. Due to the touchy relationships between our upstart country and their somewhat more entrenched one, they preferred to say they were from Persia. This obviously fooled most dumber-than-dirt Americans BUT NOT THIS AMERICAN! No sir. I have had art history courses. I know my Persia.

Jus sayin keep yer eyes open cap. Is this Joe?

Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 14:45   #7

Thanks everyone. I am looking forward to learning how to sail. I guess that I am doing things a little backwards compared to others when it comes to sailing.. Everyone has been telling me to learn how to sail first before buying a boat to see if I like it. I just laugh when I hear that because I spent 20 years at sea. I need to get away from working 7 days a week. I need a good hobby to relax and spend time with, and just get away from the grind. I do have a lot of experience with fiberglass repairs, woodworking, and engines. This boat is right up my alley. The sailing experience will come soon enough. I have some well seasoned sailing buddies who are already all over me to take her out.
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 14:54   #8

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Snipe View Post
Thanks everyone. I am looking forward to learning how to sail. I guess that I am doing things a little backwards compared to others when it comes to sailing.. Everyone has been telling me to learn how to sail first before buying a boat to see if I like it. I just laugh when I hear that because I spent 20 years at sea. I need to get away from working 7 days a week. I need a good hobby to relax and spend time with, and just get away from the grind. I do have a lot of experience with fiberglass repairs, woodworking, and engines. This boat is right up my alley. The sailing experience will come soon enough. I have some well seasoned sailing buddies who are already all over me to take her out.
We bought a boat before I learned to sail, as well. Heck, we bought ours new, because we didn't know what to look out for, so we spent a pretty penny. That was about two and half years ago and this weekend we are moving aboard our big boat, which we bought well used.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 16:09   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day Old Snipe,

Sounds to me like you have indeed done well! I see nothing wrong with risking a grand on what looks like a presentable boat, given your history and situation. I reckon that you are well ahead of the game.

With experience of seagoing plus some friends that can help you with the basics, you will be sailing in no time.

Enjoy, and keep us posted as to your progress or pulse us with questions. Our answers might even be right.

Cheers,

Jim

Tags
purchase