Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2014, 20:25   #1

Boat: Cooper 42'
Just installed LEDs

Ok, I just installed these LEDs that I got from work. yes, I work with them, someday I might let you know what I do..lol
So, check out the pics and let me know what you think..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Apologia LEDs (1).jpg
Views:	415
Size:	367.5 KB
ID:	87521   Click image for larger version

Name:	Apologia LEDs (2).jpg
Views:	397
Size:	376.6 KB
ID:	87522  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Apologia LEDs (3).jpg
Views:	433
Size:	401.0 KB
ID:	87523  
Old 01-09-2014, 20:44   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Re: Just installed LEDs

Nice. Were these additive or replacement or both?

I have a roll of the LED strip lighting coming for my project. I like the flexibility of area lighting under cabinets etc. Adds lots of atmoshpere...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 20:48   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Nice. Were these additive or replacement or both?

I have a roll of the LED strip lighting coming for my project. I like the flexibility of area lighting under cabinets etc. Adds lots of atmoshpere...

Added, I removed the lamps from the old fixtures and kept the fixture for the switches. That way it still has the fixtures incase I ever sell and they want them. Plus, that way they are split up in sections like the old lights where.

What kind of strips are you getting? These are actually used for Signs. They are probably a little brighter then the normal ones you can buy.
Old 01-09-2014, 21:22   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

I forget the exact brand but they are bulk rolls off Amazon like this.

Amazon.com: LE Lampux 12V Flexible LED Strip Lights, LED Tape, Daylight White, 300 Units 3528 LEDs, Non-waterproof, Light Strips, Length 5M: Home Improvement

I also got several pwm dimming controllers. I figured they are so cheap that if they don't work out I can bin them but one of the members here used these on a recent refit.

I couldn't decide on soft white and day bright and after agonizing for 5 minutes I said WTF we're talking $8. Get both dumbass...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:18   #5

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenH View Post
Ok, I just installed these LEDs that I got from work. yes, I work with them, someday I might let you know what I do..lol
So, check out the pics and let me know what you think..
They look quite nice! What type of glue do you use? The strips I have are self-adhesive but I don't think that'll last very long on the varnished wood. Then again, I also want to be able to remove them one day without ripping off pieces of teak...

Also, did you add some switches to be able to turn each (sub)strip on individually?

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:54   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

Plenty of light, that's good. Looks a bit on the cold side. That's fine when you have plenty of wood inside.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:58   #7

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

The warm-white LED strips look more like the color of halogens, but I've noticed that they generally consume slightly more current than cool-white.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:10   #8

Boat: Boatless

Looks great!!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
fishin4bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 13:17   #9

Nice.

I've had really good results in the cabin of our small boat with installing inexpensive LED strip lighting (warm white) inside shelves and such. To enhance the adhesion of the strips, I painted a stripe of contact cement at the mounting locations and let it dry a bit before pressing down the strips.

Because I work occasionally with programming PIC microcontrollers, I did my own 120 hz pwm one-button dimmer (fast pushes cycle thru full on, mid, dim; and push and hold slowly dims from the current brightness til you release).

Approximately 10 ft of this warm-white strip is drawing 1 A (full on) from 12.8 v, and it's very bright. There's still lots of light at 30% duty cycle.

I've also installed a few USB jacks around the cabin with a good switching regulator (only $2 on ebay) to knock the boat 12v down to 5v. Besides device charging, we also plug in small IKEA USB gooseneck LED lamps for task or reading light.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 18:35   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzcruiser View Post
They look quite nice! What type of glue do you use? The strips I have are self-adhesive but I don't think that'll last very long on the varnished wood. Then again, I also want to be able to remove them one day without ripping off pieces of teak...

Also, did you add some switches to be able to turn each (sub)strip on individually?

This LEDs are actually for Signs and channel letters and sign cabinets.
they come with a 3m tape on the back and each modular has two or three diodes each with wire in between so you can get them into corners and things. the 3M tape is a high adhesive which you would have to go to a wholesaler to get but, if I feel they are not sticking I use just a dab of silicone, I mean just a tiny amount that would just rub off if I ever take them down.
If you guys what to check out the ones I used they are from the manufacture Sloan. 6500 and I believe this weekend I just added new one to the aft cabin that are 7100K. So yes they are a white color. the lower numbers like 3500 and 4500K are more of a yellow.
All in all they take the same power that the 3500 take.
Old 07-09-2014, 18:37   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin4bogey View Post
Looks great!!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Thanks, Like I just posted I added some more to the aft cabin this weekend and I have to say they are awesome.. I can actually see and got rid of all the halogens and little incandescent that were in the cabin.
Now I'm not worried about the heat from those little halos.
Old 07-09-2014, 18:43   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Nice.

I've had really good results in the cabin of our small boat with installing inexpensive LED strip lighting (warm white) inside shelves and such. To enhance the adhesion of the strips, I painted a stripe of contact cement at the mounting locations and let it dry a bit before pressing down the strips.

Because I work occasionally with programming PIC microcontrollers, I did my own 120 hz pwm one-button dimmer (fast pushes cycle thru full on, mid, dim; and push and hold slowly dims from the current brightness til you release).

Approximately 10 ft of this warm-white strip is drawing 1 A (full on) from 12.8 v, and it's very bright. There's still lots of light at 30% duty cycle.

I've also installed a few USB jacks around the cabin with a good switching regulator (only $2 on ebay) to knock the boat 12v down to 5v. Besides device charging, we also plug in small IKEA USB gooseneck LED lamps for task or reading light.
That's a great idea, with the usb ports.. "why didn't I think of that"
Now I will have something to do this winter..

I'm not sure how much power they are taking right now. I should check, maybe next weekend but each section is wired to a switch so, It feels like your walking through a house and can light up each section or all at a time. I know they don't take to much power. I've had them all on at once and nothing went dim or anything. I love them..